Tight Brush Field Test

BrookieBuster101

BrookieBuster101

If anyone is looking for a new small stream rod id like to offer a bit of advise.
First off i fish tiny wild trout streams avidly and ive been doing it for a long time. That being said, today I decided to mix it up and try a 6'6" 3wt, seems appropriate right? I conclude that is not the case.

A 6'6" is compact and that can be useful. But they do not offer adequate reach. Yea you can catch fish with them but a better rod for the job is a 7'6" or even 8' 3 or 4wt. You Czech nymph guys you know what I mean, a foot and a half makes a difference in your game.

What it comes down to is getting the fly to the fish while staying as far from the fish as possible. And face it you arent gonna be casting.

So next time you are on the market for a new brookie rod, think about maybe trying something a little bigger even though trees will be everywhere.

this debate will go on forever. I spent a summer fishing just about every wild stretch in westmoreland/fayette co's. and can say that I've never had a problem throwing a cast, even if I have to use a little water tension to throw a back cast. Roll casting nymphs to small wilds is not even fun imo, but everyone is different.

It's a matter of kneeling, finding a casting lane, and staying in it. I've found that you never really need to cast more than 20 feet if you approach the stretch the right way, even if that means crouching and walking. I can see the need for your rod specifications on places like letort and other limestoners, but freestoners, not at all.

Longer, heavier rod is superior for brookie fishing in tight spots. Overline it to load at short range and to throw high speed loops into cover.

People use the shorter, lighter ones because they enjoy them, but it's far from optimal.

Whatever floats yer boat, but if you want to maximize success, you should be using the longest 5wt you can get away with.

That's my contention.

I use an 8'-6" 4wt with a 5wt line in some pretty tight conditions, works pretty well for me. May be a tad long.

I have a 7.5 foot 4 wt and it works good on small streams. 80 percent of my casting is roll casting in those situations....Saves having to retrive flies out of the brush.

stevehalupka wrote:
this debate will go on forever. I spent a summer fishing just about every wild stretch in westmoreland/fayette co's. and can say that I've never had a problem throwing a cast, even if I have to use a little water tension to throw a back cast. Roll casting nymphs to small wilds is not even fun imo, but everyone is different.

It's a matter of kneeling, finding a casting lane, and staying in it. I've found that you never really need to cast more than 20 feet if you approach the stretch the right way, even if that means crouching and walking. I can see the need for your rod specifications on places like letort and other limestoners, but freestoners, not at all.

Agree. Many of the brookie streams I fish have pools that are 20' or less, with lots of bends in the creek. No problem fishing a short rod. Casts? Side-arm, overhead, roll casts, no cast (snaking the line out above the pool and twitching/swimming the fly from upstream).

Back