Thoughts on bamboo?

D

DavidFin

I'm thinking about buying a bamboo rod, but don't want to kill my pocket doing so. I've casted a few when I was younger, but a much different fly fisherman. since then I've evolved into the type who likes to try all sorts of different styles and waters, so I can't imagine I wouldn't enjoy bamboo, but what sizes should I consider as an introduction? Any companies, new or old, to look at?

You'll get lots of opinions on this, but mine is that it's hard go wrong with a Heddon that's 8 1/2 feet long or less, a size 2 ferrule or less and a model 14 or better.

Check the classic fly rod forum.

A 7.5' or 8' for a 5wt is a good introduction for cane. Impregnated Orvis rods are a great value in that range and it shouldn't be to difficult to find a decent one for sale. The older Orvis rods are mostly marked heavy for line weight by today's norms. Most guys string 'em up with a 5 if it calls for a 6, a 6 if labelled for a 7. And they don't really break the bank compared to what top shelf graphite costs nowadays (you should be able to pick up a decent old Orvis for $5-700), and they mostly hold it for resale if you wanna try something else down the line.

How much do you want to spend? For what type of fishing conditions? I personally would not recommend a rod longer that 8' for a starter bamboo, just for the weight factor. My boo rods range from 6 1/2' to 8'. If I had to pick a length it would either be 7' or 7 1/2'. You can buy a quality new bamboo for around $500. You can also buy a used Orvis Battenkill rod for less than $500. Depends on what you intend to use it for.

Trout, nothing bigger than the Delaware.

DavidFin, you mentioned the Delaware. So, what is the smallest stream you would fish?

Free stones that average 10' across let's say, considering wide thin stretches and short, narrow quick runs.

Thanks for the interest, I appreciate it. I Want a rod that can cast a stimulator 40-50 feet of needed. I'm not the kind for hero casts, and I like to be able to be versatile if need be.

I'm mainly interested in replicating conditions from years ago for fun and to gain an understanding of the evolution of rods.

Haha. Nothing bigger than the largest trout river in PA. Got it

That's a broad spectrum of stream sizes to cover, regardless of the rod composition. Perhaps the best you will do is an 8' 5 or 6 weight. I think in terms of what will the rod be used for 90% of the time.

I'm not really expecting to use it throughout all the water I fish, but I think that any rod can be applied to any water given the conditions.

If your rich disregard this. Years ago I bought a 7 1/2 foot bamboo blank from a reputable deceased maker. He didn't make it he resold them and never claimed they were his. $400.00. I make a decent rod and bought components and made the rod. Bottom line it weighs a ton and is so slow you backcast, break for lunch and complete the cast. I'm sure an Orvis would be vastly suprperior but if you've grown up with carbon fiber your in for a reeducation. If you are a fast action point and shoot caster give this a lot of thought. You can borrow mine for as long as you like. It's just aging in the climate controlled basement ceiling.

That's exactly why I'm interested. Because every time I cast something slower (glass, Winston, etc), it makes me frustrated with the faster graphite stuff I have. Not to say there isn't a place for that stuff, I think the slower stuff feels more fun, which is why Im curious about bamboo.

I don't think that's true even for graphite. I'd never take my 11 foot 7 wt steelhead rod on a rhodo covered small stream, though I may take it to the D. I'd never take my 6-7 ft brookie rod to the D.

Anyway, the only boo I own is a dream catcher, so I don't have a huge wealth of experience, but I have cast a number of boo rods that aren't mine. Mines an 8.5 foot 5 wt. It's reasonably fast, not a noodle like many cane tapers. I can't really bomb it like a graphite stick but it's fine out to 50+ ft. It's not great in real close either, but good at 15+. So, a medium sized stream rod, which covers most situations, and I like it a lot for those situations. Probably my most heavily used rod. It's also not cheap, it was over a grand, which I wouldn't have pulled the trigger on my own but it was a gift. But that's not to say there aren't perfectly usable sticks for far less.

Taper means everything. I'd tell you that coming from graphite, boo has a MUCH higher range of actions. Not all are noodle slow, but some are, and slow boo is much slower than slow graphite. Some are also broomstick fast. And both may be labeled 8 ft 5 wt. So there's some shopping around to do. Start casting a few and the differences will wow you, and you'll start to feel like all graphite feels the same. Because of huge differences from rod to rod, and less versatility per rod, there's more of a tendency for rods to be special purpose type rods. You get a midge and trico rod, a big dry fly rod, a streamer rod, a nymph rod, etc. But many claim boo is better for those purposes. I think it's true, to a point. There are some things I think boo is better at, but others where its definitely not.

David another good source for information can be found here.

http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/

Depending on where you're located, a few of the guys there can probably let you try a few out. Also, the Fly Fishing Show will be in Lancaster next month and there should be quite a few rods there for you to try. Please do yourself a favor and try as many as you can before you drop the coin on one. BTW, you have a PM.

Good Luck!

Bamboo rods are a slippery slope, in a good way. So many tapers from the Masters and all the modern tweaks on the classics can keep one's mind occupied for long spans. Most of my rods were purchased as blanks from modern makers and I wrapped them myself although I do have a beautiful rod from Bill Critchfield based on a Paul Young Para 15 (wet fly tips). The classic rod forum is a good suggestion. Tons of info there.

David - Rolf gave good advise.

Go and cast them and cast some more. Find a good shop that carries them and cast them and cast some more - before you decide on what you want. All I use is cane and would not change one of them. You really don't need to invest lots of money on one, there are very good ones for what you want at reasonable prices.
Chief

There's an Orvis 8' 1 tip boo rod for sale right now on ebay for $325. Appears to be in pretty good condition.

you may be surprised if you pick the right taper that the rods not as slow or heavy as one would be lead to believe!

Heavy, yes. Solid cane is more dense than hollow plastic, and must be made thicker to achieve similar stiffness. Fact of life. That's why most cane rods are shorter than graphite sticks.

I never had much of a problem with weight, though. I mean, it's a fly rod, it's not like your carrying a bowling ball around.

Slow, no. Although there is a correlation. It seems that many who like boo also like slow. Slow is seen as "traditional". Hence many boo tapers are made to be slow. But that's by choice, they don't have to be. Fast bamboo rods do exist.

I purchased a few Sweetgrass rods over the past six months after speaking with Glenn Brackett and the Sweetgrass team. I primarily fish medium-fast Winston graphite rods so Glenn was able to determine the right tapered rods for me. Upon receiving the rods they were perfect for my casting style. As other have stated I would not recommend buying one blind however if you find a good rod builder they can help steer you in the right direction.

Ron

Back