Thinking about stepping up. Bamboo

Bruno

Bruno

I've been thinking about stepping up and getting a bamboo rod. I'd like to get one from a local rod maker in here in PA. I want to get a good functional rod not bells and whistles. Any suggestions for a rod maker in the pittsburgh area ?

Bruno, Are you looking for a classic taper or modern taper? Making the jump Hex, Quad or Penta. Normally Quad and Penta tapers are a bit faster than the typical Hex tapers (depending). Normally the bells and whistles are extra (agate, upgraded reel seat and engravings). If you don’t want to wait a year or so Tim and Bob would probably be your best bet. Tim has a few blanks on Ebay at an excellent price right now but who knows how the bidding will windup in a few hours. When Bill Harms book is released early next year, I’m sure he is going to have an increase in his wait list. Should be an excellent read and rod-building book (I know I’m waiting for it). Bill Taylor also makes a nice rod. Quads and Penta’s are going to cost a few extra dollars just because they are a little more difficult to build because of the angle you have to watch out for tear outs, believe me I know, I always have to plan out a few additional strips. If I were in a hurry, I would go with a Zietak blank and finish it myself it will save you a few dollars.

Some PA Rod Builders:

Bill Harms, Shermans Dale (Quads and Hex) Rods

Tim Zietak, Pittsburgh (Quads, Penta and Hex) Blanks and Rods.

R. W. Lancaster, Pittsburgh (Hex) Rods

W.R. Taylor, Boiling Springs (Quads and Hex) Rods

The list goes on there are a lot of good PA rod builders so don't overlook them.

Joe E.

I’m not sure what your expectations are for “stepping up” to a bamboo rod. A bamboo can cost more than even the high-end graphite rods, but I don’t believe that many would say that they are a step up in performance. The best analogy I can think of is in bow hunting. You can use the latest, greatest, fastest cam bow with lighted multiple sights tuned to perfection with carbon arrows, or use a wooden recurve bow with cedar arrows. Both work, the cam bow is a more efficient weapon, and in some ways easier to become proficient with, but is complicated and is butt ugly to many compared to the recurve. The same could be said for a classic antique car versus the latest models.

Bamboo rods are heavier, and have a slower action than most modern graphite rods. They can cast a line well at short and medium distances. Bamboo rods can be a work of art, even the “plain Jane” models are beautiful to look at and handle. They are said to be more forgiving than the faster action graphite rods. Bamboo rods are beautiful and have been used to catch fish for hundreds of years, it just depends what you are looking for – aesthetics vs. efficiency.

Don’t just order one from a builder – cast a bunch of rods and see how they fish before you spend a lot of money. Since you said are looking for “a good functional rod not bells and whistles,” I assume you are buying it to fish with and not just look at. Actually fish with some bamboo rods if you can. All rods are different from each builder and each model they make. JoeE responded to your post. He appears to have a lot of knowledge about bamboo rods. Look at all the questions he raised, and options he gave you. Research it well before you plunk down your cash. Good luck – good fishing.

Bruno - Jonas up at The Feathered Hook (Coburn, near Penn's Creek) has quite a few lines of cane rods, including some priced less than some graphites. You ought to take a day trip and cast some of his stock to define what's sympatico.

Out here in SE PA, Bob Selb of the Classic Flyfisherman has a lot of cane - mostly high line.

tl
les

Thanks. That is a very goos suggestion.

With winter coming, the FF show season is also coming. You may want to wait and try a few out at a local show to get an idea of what you might like. As has been mentioned, actions of bamboo are all over the place.

Good Luck,
Rolf

Back