Thermometers

S

snookpirate

What kind of thermometers do you guys use to take water temps? I went to buy one at a sporting store and it was over $20. Is there cheaper alternatives that will work? Thanks

International Angler in Robinson has a standard, basic model for about 12 bucks. There are other options there too, such as a digital. I'm sure somebody else will chime in with a cheaper option but that's what I went with and it works just fine.

Orvis has one for $11.95. Probably the same one that International Angler has.

Just did some digging and FishUSA has one for about 9 bucks plus shipping. They're good to deal with, fast on shipping orders too.

Personally, I like using an "HVAC" thermometer for taking water temps. I got my first one, from a heating and cooling contractor, my second one, I had to buy for around $16.00.
I like these thermos, over all the others I've used over the years, because they're all stainless, have an impact resistant glass face, (actually, hi-impact clear plastic), are quick to register the temp and because they're a "dial face" type thermometer, they are really easy to read, while still in the water.
I recently tried "something new", with my thermometer and that was to tie-wrap it, onto the lower 2 feet of my Falstaf wading stick. Works great!!
One more thing, about these certain units........... they're adjustable for perfect calibration!
I've broken way too many mercury style units, over the years and I don't like dropping mercury into my trout streams, no matter HOW small the dosage may be!!?!

Thank you. Since Im close to International Anglers I will check there first. I would have thought everything in there would be on the high end, guess not. I will keep the breaking them part in consideration when storing it on the water. I appreciate your replies.

International Angler has high end stuff, but lots of stuff that's affordable and less expensive too. They're great guys and will always give you honest sound advice. At least that's what I've found so far. If nothing else, stop by and check out the shop, it's a good one!

I still use a thermometer that I bought from kettle creek tackle shop over 20 years ago - just a standard one with red fluid inside for easy reading,and a metal case - I believe it cost about $8 then.
I have it attached to about 8 feet of old fly line with a loop on the end - I just put it thru my finger and toss it in the stream for a few minutes.
As for mercury, I'm pretty sure it's been banned, and doubt that any thermometer purchased recently would contain it.
I've considered getting a digital one, but wonder just how accurate they are

Back