Thermometer

724flyfishing

724flyfishing

What kind of thermometer are you all using? I wouldn't mind adding one to my pack instead of just sticking my finger in the water guessing lol. Plus think it'd be a huge help with this late summer/early fall fishing. I searched ebay and found a couple made by fly fishing companies in the $15 range. They were just the regular mercury, swimming pool type. I did find a bunch of battery powered digital aquarium ones that have a probe. Would this be sufficient? Looks like it would take up a lot less room.

I use the old standard type, a glass thermometer protected by a skeletonized metal frame. It works fine, does the job it is intended to do and is relatively inexpensive.

I also like the old glass tube type too. I tie a piece of old fly line to it - which enables me to toss it out into the stream aways, and get it down deep for a more accurate reading IMO
I had one in my vest that I bought in the early '80's when I first started flyfishing. And it lasted me about 25 years or so, until the glass finally broke one day. But I'd say that I got my money's worth out of it.
When I went to replace it, all I could in local fly shops was digital ones.
I had to order another glass one on line

I use this KINTREX IRT0401 Compact Waterproof Infrared Thermometer.

http://www.amazon.com/KINTREX-IRT0401-Waterproof-Infrared-Thermometer/dp/B002MYMSOI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441281294&sr=8-1&keywords=fishing+infrared+thermometer

After breaking innumerable glass therms, by leaving them in a hot car during summer or dropping them, I went through a bunch of neat digital ones. Now I've gone almost commando, or maybe cheapo. I get the kitchen style ones at Harbor Freight for $3-5. They're durable, but may need calibration. Just stick it in a glass of ice water and figure the number of degrees offset.

http://www.fishpondusa.com/product/detail/swift-current-thermometer/1992

I got this in blue.

Pocketwater, that is a nice thermometer. Looks like an updated version of the old standard. If and when I break my current thermometer I would consider buying the Fishpond version. They make great products.

It feels nice and sturdy, and it is weighted so it sinks. I just toss it on the bottom in shallower water and retrieve it a little later and it doesn't move.

I use the same thermometer and have zero complaints

Is the FishPond thermometer easier to read than the old standards?

I've always found the old standard thermometers hard to read, because the lines are so close together.

I have an infra-red thermometer. I tended to lose glass-tube ones. I put them in the water, made a few casts while waiting for the reading, caught a fish or otherwise spaced out, and forgot the thermometer. I'd like to say that I only did this once, but ... :)

I think infra-red thermometers are good, because you may use them more often when they work faster. stream temps can change sometimes more abruptly than I would guess.

I just fished a small brookie stream that had great heat-wave water temps: 61 in august, nice. after 3/4 mi up a mountain, the channel was there, but suddenly the water was gone. last bit of water was 58. the water stayed underground below a perfectly normal but bone dry stream bed of ledges and pools. never made it to more water, went up another 1/4-1/3 mi.

But I looked at google earth, in higher flows there's clearly water running right through the 1/4-1/3 mi section that is dry now.

I assume that the fish population is lower that intermittent stretch versus downstream even when there's water all the way.

So let's say I'd fished the stream in may. maybe by taking a lot of water temps, Id have noticed that the fishing fell off and the temp jumped in that section?

The Fishpond is easy to read. For me anyway.

What is the diameter of that Fishpond thermometer?

NVM, thanks. I found the dimensions on eBay. The Fishpond thermometers are:

4.625” x .5”

I have a good submersible glass thermometer in a heavy duty stainless steel tube, but it is from a water treatment plant and is 8" long. A shorter version would be easier to carry.

Timely and helpful post.I lost mine in the LR this year and need a replacement

I have the old black thermometer that wtt mentioned. It's too long for where I keep it on my sling pack. The Fishpond is the better option for me. But I haven't bought one yet.

A lot of helpful replies. Thanks. I think I'm going to order the fishpond one. I can get a regular glass aquarium thermometer at Walmart for $2 and I'm sure I could rig something up to weigh it down and attach it to my pack but I'm hating Walmart more and more these days. I'd rather spend a few extra dollars to support a small company for something nice.

724flyfishing wrote:I can get a regular glass aquarium thermometer at Walmart for $2 and I'm sure I could rig something up to weigh it down and attach it to my pack but I'm hating Walmart more and more these days.

I tried this route before ordering the Fishpond one. It ended up just being a waste of time and money .

Delmont eh? Im right up the road from ya.

Cheers

I think you will be real happy with the Fishpond selection. It is definitely a quality product, and like you, I felt good about supporting that company. Their stuff is a little pricey in comparison to other companies, but I understand why due to how they operate their business.

BTW 724flyfishing & steveo27, I'm originally from Blairsville but now reside on the North Side of Pittsburgh.

steveo27 wrote:
724flyfishing wrote:I can get a regular glass aquarium thermometer at Walmart for $2 and I'm sure I could rig something up to weigh it down and attach it to my pack but I'm hating Walmart more and more these days.

I tried this route before ordering the Fishpond one. It ended up just being a waste of time and money .

Delmont eh? Im right up the road from ya.

Cheers

That's cool. I'm always looking for people to fish with. Maybe we can meet up and go sometime. I have a couple good spots in the half hour drive range that have been holding trout all summer and a lot of good warm water fishing in the rivers around Saltsburg.

Back