The Evening Rise Flyshop - Lancaster, PA

J

jjsjigs

Corporate fly fishing still sucks, but I hate to really good flyshops close.... No I'm not a hypocrite for saying this cuz the Evening Rise was MY absolute favorite flyshop! Yes, it's true! The rumors have been circulating for about 2 weeks that The Evening Rise in Lancaster, PA is closing their doors 7/31. But the terrible email came to my in-box this morning (see below) How sad is this?

One of the best places I've ever shopped. PERIOD! They would be happy to mail order anything to me... when I called them about buying ALL the Gudebrod thread they had in stock... (when Gudebrod went out of business) they were happy to stay on the phone and tell me all the colors and styles they had. And then shipped all 24 spools of thread I purchased for FREE! When my reel broke when fishing in Lancaster last year... (I didn't even buy the reel at their store) they GAVE me a loaner so my fishing wasn't kaput and offered to fix my reel within 24 hours!!! Heck, I only came in their store once a year while on vacation but Bev ALWAYS remembered my name!!!
ther shop associates would answer all my ignorant questions about LanCo. fishing, give me directions to all the worthy trout and bassy areas to fish and even draw me a MAP!! Other store associates would even sit down at a bench and offer to show me how to tie local patterns so I had the right flies!! The customer service I received in this store was the BENCHMARK for all other store to follow (in my book). Their markup on stuff was never even the 500% I'm used to seeing in other stores. There were a full line dealer in so many brands.... y'know how in most Orvis stores they fill 1/2 the store with that trendy clothing line and home goods dog bed #OOPS#??? Not the evening rise... they stuck to FLYFISHING gear and not "Northern Maine Wine Fest Cargo Pants and Sailing shirts". I truly am sad to see them close.

The state of flyfishing retail shops is terrible... I have been a long-time customer of this shop. I'm tempted to drive down for the "preferred customer" sale. However, I will be in Lancaster from 6/20 to 6/24 so I know I'll be stopping in then to see what kind of deals I can get.

Dear Local Customer and Friend,

A Huge Store Closing Sale will begin immediately to liquidate every single item of merchandise in our store to include Fly Rods, Fly Reels, Fly Lines, Leaders, Backing, Tippet, Waders, Wading Boots, Fly Tying Tools, Books, Materials, Clothing, Headwear, Rainwear, Soft Goods, Accessories and more from Famous Makers like Orvis, R. L. Winston Rod Co., Sage Rod Co., Hardy, Rio, Scientific Anglers, Abel Reels, Ross Reels, Waterworks Reels, Dr. Slick Co., Veniard, Mustad, Daiichi, Fishpond and much more.

We are closing our doors forever. All of our merchandise, store fixtures, furniture and equipment must be sold.

You are the first to know. We are extending a special invitation to our local customers and wonderful friends like you to come to our store on Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, June 9th through June 15th, one week before we publicly announce this sale in the newspaper.

Only those who receive an invitation are invited. However, feel free to bring a friend or relative who did not receive an invitation as your guest. You will have the First Opportunity to shop and save on our entire inventory before many items are sold out.

Arrive early for the best selection. Our opening is on Thursday, June 9that 10:00 AM Sharp! We may not have finished placing sale tags on all merchandise. But, if you have your invitation we will extend a Special Discount to you and your guests on any items in the store that have not already been marked down.

Fantastic prizes will be awarded! To get you started toward winning — simply return this invitation to the store on Thursday, June 9th, and you’ll receive 1,000 Bonus Prize Dollars just for stopping by! Be sure to visit our contest desk for details and see all the prizes on display.

We have enjoyed serving the Fly Fishing community and cherish your friendship and patronage since opening our original shop in 1985. After careful consideration we have decided to move on to the next phase of our lives. There is much more Fly Fishing to be done! This sale is our way of thanking you for your business and friendship while at the same time accomplishing our goals. We will continue to be involved with the Fly Fishing community in new and different ways. Keep in touch via our web site at www.TheEveningRise.com.

Sincerely,

Nick & Bev DelleDonne, Owners

Dear Jigs,

I had a wonderful conversation today with a very dear friend that I would have never had the pleasure of meeting if not for a fly shop owner who thought we should meet, so I feel your pain.

Life pretty much sucks, but yet like a river that keeps on rolling, it continues. No one gets out of here alive, flyshops and friends included.

Kinda strange when you think about it that way, heyna!

Regards,

Tim Murphy ;-)

Damm That sucks, I'm like not even a mile down the road. I use to pop in on a wim when needed mics stuff, I must have bought 90% of my gear from there too. I need to get some pink tying materials for my FLA trip next week. Man this really sucks......
I hate mail order.

So you can't go unless you have an invitation? And yes I agree with everything you've said about them 10000%

I think everyone who is registered in their database received an invite. Don't quote me on it though.

I got one in the mail today. I would assume that they are using an inventory clearance/close out company to market this closing.

My mailed invitation has noise on the bottom about 1000 bonus prize dollars for bringing in the invitation and an ADDITIONAL 2000 bonus prize dollars if I bring in the envelope as well. Pretty sweet huh?

:-( Wonder why I didn't receive one.

Nymph-O-Maniac wrote:

i don't know but i'll trade ya 2000 bonus points for 100 Schrute bucks

i was just there last week and she said nothing. we were talking about the show being moved to Lancaster and all... hmmm no mail for me yet. but after work thurs i will be there :)

jdaddy wrote:
Nymph-O-Maniac wrote:

What's the ratio of Schrute Bucks to 2000 bonus points?

The same as the ratio of unicorns to leprechauns?

Nymph-O-Maniac wrote:
jdaddy wrote:
Nymph-O-Maniac wrote:

What's the ratio of Schrute Bucks to 2000 bonus points?

The same as the ratio of unicorns to leprechauns?

Already told ya, 2000:100 but lets not bring Stanley nickles into this.

I live in Up-State NY now and am lucky to have found a good fly shop (Trout Fitters) about 45 miles from me. I live near Utica and the shop is in Syracuse. I used to live in Hershey and worked in Lancaster. I would often stop by the Evening Rise on my way home from work to just bs or pick up some necessities. I also purchased my first fly rod and reel there. I was going to buy at that time I think a Sage XP and Sage was getting ready to come out with their new Z-Axis. The owner was more than happy to talk to me about the new rod instead of selling me one off the shelf. Growing up in rural central PA and my father owning his own grocery store I learned at a very young age how you have to treat customers for them to continue to patronize your business. I think that the Evening Rise did this very very well, but just like my father's store he could not compete with the big box store prices and eventully had to close while his head was still above water. I just hope that everyone who purchases items from Cabelas, Bass Pro, Wall Mart and the other big stores are happy with the customer service they get. Try and ask a store associate in Cabelas how the fishing is on Clark's Creek or the Yellow Breeches. It is really too bad that a great store like that who has great customer service and is extremely knowledgable about the sport will no longer be around to help us less knowledeable people. Hopefully the owners will now have more time to fish.

I still have the Sage Z-Axis and love to fish the West Canada Creek and the Ceder Rive with it.

Thanks for selling me that rod almost 5 years ago.

The "sale" was complete crap. 20% off. The marketing company that is promoting the thing is harvesting data for future offers. That's what the "bonus dollars" was all about. It was drawings for flat screen TV's. 20% off. Jeez.

Im holding out to the end of it and see if whats left is 50% :)

I was over that way today in my fire truck and saw all the signs in the windows and a lot full of cars. Good day to pave the parking lot, huh? I'm with Sal...I'll check it out closer to the end.

I tried to pick up two capes of hackle on my lunch break for 27.99 a piece. Stood in line for 25 minutes and didnt move more than a couple feet. Wasnt what I had pictured.

I was there also. Tons of people and actually didn't see a difference in prices to be honest. Good luck to the owners.

Yea I walked in, signed up, looked towards the back and left lol. Not what I expected in prices at all.

Thank god they decided today would be perfect for blacktopping the parking lot too, that was awesome!

Ya got that crap all over my car.

Who was driving the pickup with the stickers all over the back including a PAFF sticker?

i am sorry you guys couldn't cash in on someones misfortune. Maybe next time.

Back