Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

The "Troutiest" of rods?

Ok, so doing some reading I hear two rods are the "troutiest" of all time...but can someone explain that?

9 foot 4 weight (not the standard 9' 5 weight)

and the 8'6" 5 weight

What are the advantages of the 9' 4 over the 9' 5? I have heard that many 4 weights today are like 4.5 weights and many 5 weights are getting closer to 6 weights from back in the day. Thanks!

Posted on: 2013/6/11 13:06

Re: The "Troutiest" of rods?

From Dauphin PA
By "troutiest" I think they are simply referring to the 2 sizes that are most often associated with trout fishing, most popular and / or most versatile for trouting.

As for deceptive labeling of gear, I agree. You buy a 4 weight....unless you have 50' of line out, it doesn't flex. Ok, you should over-line it with 5 wt line then. If that's the case, you bought a 5 wt that says 4 wt on the blank. Why not just buy a 5 weight to start with? If I buy a 4 wt, it's because I want a 4 wt. The rod makers should stop the shenanigans and make the label match the actual line weight.

I had a Sage TCX 5 weight 2 years ago. I'm positive it would have handled a 7 weight....no problem. To me, that's BS.

Posted on: 2013/6/11 14:02

From SEPA
Is a 4wt line a 4wt line if its a "slightly heavier" on paper but is actually a 6wt AFMTA line, making it two full sizes heavier?

Are these deceptive practices, or are you all simply stupid?

-shrug-

I'm willing to believe far more people who own rods that say 4wt on them are actually fishing 6wts.

That might be why the common fishing rod through most of fly fishing history is a 6wt rod (case in point, when you find a classic, unmarked, garage sale rod, try it with a 6wt first). When I started, it was the 8'6" 5wt, and that was at the start of the stiffer-is-bester wars, I notice now 8 years later, you're being told to buy 4wt rods.

(which are 6wts, but I said that already)

Posted on: 2013/6/11 14:26

From Dauphin PA
Gary,

I'd be offended by that comment except for the fact that I am stupid. I think it's deceptive on the part of the rod companies. I started a good bit before you did and my first rod was a trout rod....7' 7wt. I also had a 6' 5wt. The 5wt was considered to be a light trout / small stream rod. Go figure.

Posted on: 2013/6/11 14:38

From Monessen, PA
I would like a standard so that I don't have to buy two lines before getting the feel right. As well, I can adjust my casting stroke, but would rather just know what I am getting when I acquire it. I actually really liked a light-feeling soft 5-weight paired to a double taper 3-weight line, anytime accept in the wind.

Posted on: 2013/6/11 14:48

From SW PA/Tioga
Big-Bass,

Calling one rod troutier that the next is hogwash. As long as the rod is less that a 9 weight.

I often have 3 rods with me:

6'0"-7'0" 2-5wt for small streams

7'0"-8'0" 2-6wt for medium streams

8'0"-9'6" 5-7wt for large streams

Posted on: 2013/6/11 16:01

From Clinton County, Pa.
I do think the 8' 6" to 9' 5 weight is the most common fly rod you will see on trout streams. Those rods cover alot but not all situations.

Posted on: 2013/6/11 17:10

From SE Pa
The troutiest rods I have are a 7ft 3/4 weight eglass - got it's "Riffle" blank from Phil at Kettle Creek and a 7'6" bamboo 4wt Payne 100 taper - got the blank from Anglers Roost.

From what I've experienced (which is less than some others) whether it be e-glass or s-glass, newer glass rods are rated much more accurately than graphite rods.

I wonder if fast action graphite is inherently difficult to rate.

Posted on: 2013/6/11 19:41

From Southwestern NY
this to me is a pretty good explination of "modern" rod weight theory vs "true" AFMTA ratings. under lining rods so the "load" with 70" of line out giving you a longer cast sells rods at the shop...

http://www.common-cents.info/

but as for the troutiest i'd say call as many shops as you can, ask them that question, and when you get all that info let us know.

ifi were to make a general assumption based on what i have learned i would say a 9' 5 or 6wt on "average" from brookies to sea run steelehead.

thats a almost impossible question to answer, that you have asked.

as for my personal input as to how i perceive your question, i really like my 8' 3wt m series paired with a rio trout lt 3wt wf line. yet that rod, actual weight to load the rod 1/3 of the rods length is actually a 2.5wt. while the line is 170gr(AFMTA 5wt) @ 43'...but at 30' where AFMTA calls the loading point it's 100gr on the nose.

Posted on: 2013/6/11 21:46

Edited by DJBerg on 2013/6/11 22:10:39

Calling one rod troutier that the next is hogwash.

Posted on: 2013/6/12 2:30

From SW PA/Tioga
Quote:

springer1 wrote:
From what I've experienced (which is less than some others) whether it be e-glass or s-glass, newer glass rods are rated much more accurately than graphite rods.

I wonder if fast action graphite is inherently difficult to rate.

No, the market evolved to its present state. During the early 90's became more popular. With this new found popularity came a lot of people looking to buy fly rods. These guys would go to a fly shop and test cast some rods. Seeing that they could cast farther with the stiffest rod that was the one they bought. This caused what I call the "modulus wars". Each new series of rods used a higher modulus graphite to make the rod stiffer. When they could not use technology to create an advantage, they started to increase the distance cast used to determine the recommended line weight.

So, in short, the rod makers are playing games with the line weight ratings, but only because the market told them to.

Fiberglass and cane are niche markets which have not suffered as much from this phenomenon.

Posted on: 2013/6/12 7:40

From Lansdale
With changes in rod and line offerings, you can only really use the advertised line weight as a starting point. Even if the AFTMA ratings are correct for BOTH the line AND rod you're casting, YOU may feel a different line on a given rod feels more comfortable to you.

Posted on: 2013/6/12 9:02

From SEPA
Quote:

shortrod wrote:
So, in short, the rod makers are playing games with the line weight ratings, but only because the market told them to.

This is exactly the problem. Lines fell right into place because with your new rods you suddenly required new lines, because a rod that let you belt out 70' casts with ease wasn't remotely useful at 20' ranges with the appropriately rated lines.

So, the out of spec line was created where we call a 160 grain weight line a 4 even though by the established standards its a 6.

Everyone wins, because now manufacturers are colluding on a technology blitz where you have to spend more.

That said, I think this trend is starting to turn, now.

Quote:

shortrod wrote:
Fiberglass and cane are niche markets which have not suffered as much from this phenomenon.

Fiberglass has its own distinct form of idiocy, which is directly inverse to what's happening with graphite.

There, people are so obsessed with having the slowest rod on the planet, they will consistently demand that rods be overlined so as they load as deeply as possible.

I suspect bamboo aficionados have a brand of idiot unique to them, too.

Posted on: 2013/6/12 9:22

For those who fish graphite rods, how many of you overline them?

I never have. I'm not sure if I'm missing out. Or if it's a matter of the rod models. Or of casting style / preference.

I'm just curious whether over-lining is a common thing. Or done in a small percentage of cases.

Posted on: 2013/6/12 10:27

From SW PA/Tioga
troutbert,

In general I do not overline. But I have always rejected the rods that would require it.

The one exception is a used rod I bought for my son, it is an Orvis "Western 2" made in the 90's. It is marked as a 2wt but is clearly a 4wt. We test cast it with a 4wt line before buying, so no surprise.

Posted on: 2013/6/12 11:00

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com