Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: Tenkara Fly Fishing

From Pa
I couldn't order today as I wanted to, as Ms Kitty is downstate and has my credit card. Didn't know she had it.

But tomorrow I'll have the YAMAME on its way. I'm hoping to try it out next week if this colder weather moves out.

Posted on: 2010/3/25 19:28

From Shamokin-Coal Township
I have a Yamame and an Ebisu and like them both. The Yamame will help you wrestle some of the larger trout that you might run in to on a small stream. Both of them have a unique feel when a strike is detected.

Very easy to cast.

Mike

Posted on: 2010/3/25 19:38

From Bozeman
I'm not overly interested in tenkara, but I am curious about the legality on FFO waters.

As far as I can tell, if tenkara is legal on FFO, then a crappie pole with a jig should be as well.

Then again, I guess it's primarily for small streams, right?

Anyone have any insight?

Posted on: 2010/3/25 20:14

From Pittsburgh
Different folks have had this question. Daniel, the owner of TenkaraUSA has corresponded with the PAFBC and has been assured that Tenkara is legal in FFO waters in PA.

Here's a link to the TenkaraUSA forum where it was discussed if anyone's interested: Tenkara Legal in PA FFO Water

Posted on: 2010/3/25 20:37

From Bozeman
Interesting.

Thanks.

So by that reasoning, a crappie pole with a fly or light jig would be legal, provided that I outfitted it with a tapered leader of some sort. I would take issue with the PAFBC regulating based on a brand name.

Posted on: 2010/3/25 20:53

From Shamokin-Coal Township
I believe there might be a limitation on the length of the leader and tippet max at 18 feet. Could be an issue with a crappie pole.

The Tenkara rod just gives you a lot more flexibility in casting and hooking than a heavier crappie pole would.

Go look at the website and watch the videos - they are all free. You might be surprised! www.tenkarausa.com

Posted on: 2010/3/25 21:50

From York County
I have been looking at Tenkara during the last year. Having three kids, sometimes I find there's times where I have the kids out at a stream or park or during vacation where I didn't fish because of the burden of lugging all the gear around.

Another thing is some days when I actually get out alone, I struggle over the decision to either take "the camera" which is basically an entire backpack full of photo gear, or "the rod". Taking both would not be enjoyable.

I could really see myself enjoying a Tenkara rod in places like Stony Creek, or certain small streams that I will not name, where a particularly long walk or hike is required. I could still bring my camera and just stash a fly box in my camera bag or shirt pocket. The cool thing is the rod collapses very short and you don't have to worry about connecting pieces, aligning line guides, losing peices, or the bulky reel, or the bulky rod/reel case.

I thought the Iwana either 11' or 12' would be great since it is their lightest model for smaller trout. I would only be using it on small water anyway. Getting used to the length might be a small challenge but I would thing with a rod that long bow and arrow casting would be a blast and the length of the rod would give you great reach with the bow cast in tight spots.

Posted on: 2010/3/25 21:58

From Lancaster
A tenkara outfit would definitely be the ticket for saving space and weight. I plan on using it as my backpacking rod. To that end, I will be trying it out in May in the Shenandoah Nat. Park, and in June on the Allegheny Front Trail.

Posted on: 2010/3/26 8:04

From Other side of the tracks
Quote:

gentleshepherd wrote:
I believe there might be a limitation on the length of the leader and tippet max at 18 feet. Could be an issue with a crappie pole.

The Tenkara rod just gives you a lot more flexibility in casting and hooking than a heavier crappie pole would.

Go look at the website and watch the videos - they are all free. You might be surprised! www.tenkarausa.com

I doubt I would be surprised. Sounds like a combination of fishing, and that weird olympic gymnastic event that involves a sticl with a ribbon, only longer.

I don't get it. I can put any size leader on a crappie pole, too.

It's the same thing. Modern crappie poles are light. Have you ever tried one? For that matter, have you ever caught a crappie? They don't call them paper mouths for nothing. They require a light flexable rod.

You just pay less for a crappie pole because it isn't a Japanese fad ... yet.

There is no way you can get any decent action from a telescoping fly rod or it would have been done long ago. Look at travel rods. They have been around for a very long time. I even have one made out of split cane that is at least 60 years old (Educated guess). The more sections you have, the poorer the action. How many sections are onthe average tenkara. Oh by the way. I think that cane travel rod is japanese also (another educated guess).

I have nothing against travel rods. Like I said, I even have one that I plan to restore some day. They have a niche and you can cast them. But then, I could put guides on a 2X2 and cast it. I guess I would put this tenkara in the category of a travel rod, only with even more limitations. Nice backup that you can even carry with you. But as a main weapon?

Posted on: 2010/3/26 9:18

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

FarmerDave wrote:

You just pay less for a crappie pole because it isn't a Japanese fad ... yet.

There is no way you can get any decent action from a telescoping fly rod or it would have been done long ago.

That's B.S. These aren't even close to crappie poles. Tenkara rods have a terrific action - very delicate, yet surprisingly powerful. And yes, I've tried the new "modern" crappie poles, and I've caught thousands of crappie in my day. This debate has appeared on every forum I've seen Tenkara discussed. Those who think it is a fad, or object to paying around $150 for a Tenkara rod find every excuse possible to downplay the effectiveness and fun of Tenkara fishing. It's funny how every one of those arguments comes from someone who hasn't tried a Tenkara rod. The old saying "Don't knock it until you've tried it" applies very well here.

Posted on: 2010/3/26 10:36

From Bozeman
I'm genuinely curious about the crappie pole idea, actually.

I'd like to be the first tenkara bamboo purist. One of the bait shops I frequented as a kid had 12 foot bamboo switches.

If I like the style of fishing, I'd consider dropping 150 beans on one to hike with.

Posted on: 2010/3/26 10:42

From SEPA
I haven't tried it out (should've made you let me take it for a spin at the minijam, HA), but I've seen HA's tenkara rod and its a pretty fascinating thing.. It more or less tapers down to something that's barely bigger the furled leader it touches, its amazingly light.

I'd love to give it a whirl, although I'm not sure I have a need yet. I can easily see this being something I'd embrace, though.

Posted on: 2010/3/26 11:03

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

jayL wrote:
I'm genuinely curious about the crappie pole idea, actually.

So was I. While the newer graphite crappie poles are lighter than old style ones, they're waaayyy too heavy compared to a Tenkara rod, and they're a bear to cast. Think casting a 2wt line with a 12wt rod. They're also not very durable.

As for being the first bamboo Tenkara "purist", well, you're too late - that's been done a long time ago. The ability to make a really light, effective, and durable telescopic graphite rod is fairly new technology. The TenkaraUSA rods are really well made, and guaranteed for life.

You're welcome to try my 11' Tenkara rod, but be forewarned - you'll want one! It takes bow and arrow casting to a whole new level.

Posted on: 2010/3/26 11:11

From Bozeman
I'll give it a shot next time we fish. Thanks Ed.

Posted on: 2010/3/26 11:16

If you want to go the crappie pole route (and I'll echo previous comments that it is a poor substitute) make sure you get a graphite one. The fiberglass ones are hopeless at casting a light line. I've experimented with both.

Also, with regard to legality on FFO waters, I'm sure the ruling wasn't brand specific (there are other brands of tenkara rod starting to show up), but if you wanted to fish a jig with something that is clearly labeled "crappie pole" it would probably be safer to use a jig that is clearly a flyfishing jig - like 1/80 ounce rather than something like 1/16 or 1/32 ounce. Also I would use a line that is capable of casting an unweighted fly. I suspect that to be considered fly fishing you may have to show that it is the weight of the line that you are casting, not the weight of the jig.

Posted on: 2010/3/26 12:05

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com