Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: Tenkara Fly Fishing

Is it for people who don't know how to cast?

Posted on: 2009/7/25 10:06

From SEPA
No, that's called "spin fishing."

Posted on: 2009/7/25 10:40

Quote:

Spyder20oz wrote:
Is it for people who don't know how to cast?

Not at all. It is for people who value delicacy more than distance.

Posted on: 2009/7/25 19:07

From Shamokin-Coal Township
I just ordered my Yamame form Daniel, he was very informative while explaining the simplicity of what Tenkara is. I look forward to my rod, leader and tippet coming by week's end. Hope to get out next weekend.

Posted on: 2009/8/2 14:27

I just received my Tenkara USA Yamame Rod. I am truly impressed with the quality that it has.

I purchased my leader from Tenkara USA also.

When I got home from work I had to try out the casting on it. I rigged it up in about 2 minutes and was casting a lot quicker that when I learned to cast a fly line.

I have an inground pool and was able to cast a straight line in not ime at all. I played a bit with casting a few different size flies and did not see any discernable loss in control.

I can't to try it out on a stream. Hopefully Wednesday evening after work on a nearby creek.

Wish me luck!

Posted on: 2009/8/10 19:05

Had my Tenkara Rod out tonight, caught a couple of Bluegill What a blast. Had a couple of trout follow but no takes. I am amazed at how well it maneuvers, even at 12 feet long! Looking forward to my next trip out, maybe with a bit more time I can work on the trout a bit.

Posted on: 2009/8/12 21:51

I've been using my Tenkara for a few months now. So far it's been great. There are some new videos on the Tenkara USA site that will help with casting technique, but even without them you'll quickly learn what works and what doesn't.

I've taken it out on the Manatawny this fall and had a blast. Caught a 1/2 dozen trout and one smally the first day. The Manny may be a little big for this rod. I had to stealthfully wade into position for each fish. The line lands almost imperceptibly, but it still scares fish in the low water if you line them. I did it a couple of times just to see what I could get away with. So, don't think you can be sloppy.

Bow/sling casting is awesome with this rod. It puts it just where you want it. Overhead, sidearm, underhand, all work well. Pushing the rod forward after the power stroke really softens the landing and extends the distance. No problem with heavily weigthed bugger and such.

The fish I've landed so far all range from 11 to 14 inches on 6 and 7x tippet. I thought the 14" would break the 7x but he didn't. I just swung him in letting the rod absorb the jumps and surges. There's no line out so landing the fish is very fast. I don't normally use a net, but with Tenkara I bring out my rubber net. It's just faster when you're using a long rod. Otherwise, I'd have to grab the leader and just one last minute jump and I'm sure the tippet would snap. So, far I've landed about 15 trout with no breakoffs. I really want to try in on smaller streams like the middle/upper section of Hay and some smaller area tribs.

You can choke up on the rod or collapse a section when you need something shorter to work with. You'll also like collapsing it when you need to climb up a bank or go through thick brush or just tucking it in your waders for the walk back to your car.

Ah, yet another way to enjoy fly fishing:)

Posted on: 2009/11/13 1:53

From Gunpowder River, MD
I might try it on one of my AT weekend hikes...Be nice to get in to some brookies with that rig..Maybe fry up a couple rainbows for protien boost..

Posted on: 2009/11/13 8:22

surfin`some around for tenkara tackle i found this;

http://translate.google.com/translate ... zubehoer%2Cindex%2C0.html

greets
peter

Posted on: 2010/3/1 2:36

The TenkaraUSA forum keeps growing with new members from all over the globe. Check it out at www.tenkarausa.com .

I have been chomping at the bit to get out also. I had a problem with a frozen shoulder in October and it seems that it finally might be healed enough for a day of casting.

Snow has not helped out much either!

SO I have been tying some Tenkara style flies.

Looking forward to opening days!

Posted on: 2010/3/1 6:16

From Lancaster
I purchased an Iwana about three weeks ago after coming across the Tenkara USA website via Facebook. I was growing a little weary of fly fishing - with family it's hard to get away, so I've been hitting the same streams, and I'm tired of all the technical jargon and tactics, which are nothing more than a variation on a theme - so, I purchased the Tenkara rod.

I have to admit, I was impressed, and enjoyed my first experience with it on the Donegal Creek. I landed five trout, and had no problem casting, detecting strikes, or bringing the fish to hand. In fact, every fish that struck came to hand, there were no misses. This is because of the style of fishing that tenkara affords, and the sensitivity of the rod.

For small streams, this is a very enjoyable way to fish. I also like the simplicity. It is the traditional archery of fly fishing. I am now going to see how simple and light I can go and still consistently catch trout.

Posted on: 2010/3/25 10:59

From Pa
Very interesting subject. I ran into a guy fishing this Tenkara style last year. He was doing pretty well on Lyman last year. I'm sold. I'm about to order my Tenkara gear in a few minutes.

Posted on: 2010/3/25 11:25

From Lancaster
Festus,

I don't think you will be disappointed. It's not for everybody, nor for every situation, but for small streams and simplicity, you can't beat it.

Posted on: 2010/3/25 12:47

From Pa
To tell the truth, I'm 300% bored with fishing these days and need to put some incentive back into the game. This Tenkara thing is it.

Posted on: 2010/3/25 15:48

From Lehigh Valley
Festus - You're gonna LOVE Tenkara! It's a blast. First time you get a fish on, and you reach for the line/reel, and it ain't there...you'll be laughing. Tenkara has some serious advantages for small stream fishing, and a lot of those advantages translate to bigger water too.

Which rod did you pick?

H.A.

Posted on: 2010/3/25 17:29

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com