Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: Tenkara, now everybody will want one

From MONTCO
Look. It's no different than Ping golf clubs, H&K handguns, Glock vs Colt, etc. I don't know why so many folks spend their time worrying about what the guy next to him uses. Just get out and have fun.

My brother has a Tenkara. Mostly because he has (or had) every size/weight western rod combo you could think of. The Tenkara is neat and at some point I'll probably own one, just for the simplicity sake of it. Looks like fun. I am a bit a survivalist as well and anytime I can accomplish the same task, with less weight to carry, or space taken up in a backpack, I'll adopt it.

Posted on: 2012/7/13 10:14

From Souderton PA
Quote:

gfen wrote:
Quote:

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:
I don't get the fad myself but I don't understand the hate for it either.

Big deal.

i hate the player, not the game. go troll through a tenkara forum or watch one of their videos. when you're done, you will want to claw their zen monk simplicity eyes out too.

Yikes! I agree with Gfen.
I think they made a huge mistake promoting it as some sort of mystical approach, and this has created an annoying and polarizing religious-like fervor around what is really just another way to fish.
It is not Jehova's favorite rod, but it is also not a cane pole or an 11 ft 3 weight. The rods are very thin and flex quite deep allowing you to cast a mono line with a fair amount of accuracy albeit at a fixed distance. Actually, I think the best comaprison is to the pocket fisherman. I caught fish with a pocket fisherman. They were sunnies, and I was 6, but it was a good day. It's not like anything else, or a replacement for anything else. Just another way to fish.
Pat, if you still have that broken rod you should look into fixing it. they sell replacement sections that you just have to slip in. It would at least allow you to sell the thing and make a few bucks.
Mike.

Posted on: 2012/7/13 13:47

From Bucks County
Quote:

FrequentTyer wrote:

Yikes! I agree with Gfen.
I think they made a huge mistake promoting it as some sort of mystical approach, and this has created an annoying and polarizing religious-like fervor around what is really just another way to fish.

God lord. Its all... Wait for it.....

Marketing. (as silly or stupid as it is)

You pissed at Calgon for saying to all the women that their soap will put them in a zen like place while the men are stuck with the screaming kids, and the iron burning a hole in their shirts? Cuz its 'just another soap" ya know..

So bottom line is I should start a Tenkara rod company, leave out all the fluff, and just sell it for what it is, another way to fish. Oh wait screw it, the field is too crowded now with TFO coming along. Back to fishing and my dismal job.

Posted on: 2012/7/13 15:03

From Souderton PA
Quote:

Smike wrote:
God lord. Its all... Wait for it.....

Marketing. (as silly or stupid as it is)

You pissed at Calgon for saying to all the women that their soap will put them in a zen like place while the men are stuck with the screaming kids, and the iron burning a hole in their shirts? Cuz its 'just another soap" ya know..

No, but if there was a group of people that saw that commercial and started to model a whole silly philosophy of life around it, I bet other soap users would find them annoying.
Tenkara is to fly fishing as macintosh is to computing.

Posted on: 2012/7/13 15:19

From Bucks County
Quote:

Then I am sold!

Posted on: 2012/7/13 16:40

Yeah,nice jackets.

Posted on: 2012/7/13 16:54

From Bucks County
Quote:

FrequentTyer wrote:

*sigh* I wish Tenkara was that good and useful.

Posted on: 2012/7/13 17:27

From Clearfield
Ha!

Posted on: 2012/7/13 19:20

From Clinton County, Pa.
I have a Tenkara rod and it is fun to fish with but it will not replace my other flyrods. It is just another method to fish. I use mine from time to time just because it is different.

Posted on: 2012/7/14 11:02

From Bel Air, MD
Quote:

WildTigerTrout wrote:
I have a Tenkara rod and it is fun to fish with but it will not replace my other flyrods. It is just another method to fish. I use mine from time to time just because it is different.

I think you nailed it - it is not something that interests me, but I can thing of a couple of areas on the Gunpowder where it would fit the circumstances.

I don't get all of the bashing - whatever makes your boat float, right?

Posted on: 2012/7/14 13:06

From MONTCO
Quote:

BelAirSteve wrote:
.....I don't get all of the bashing - whatever makes your boat float, right?

I don't get it either. I look at it that same way I look at guys making up their own lanyards, floatants, and even their own fly design. Perhaps not intended for the masses, but it's fun for them. Wait till you see my Jackass lanyard at Fish N' Chips!

Posted on: 2012/7/14 16:39

From SCPA
Some of the sentiments on here speak to me. If you genuinely enjoy it, I think that's great. But I'm always suspicious of things that come across as fad-ish. Maybe even hold myself back on some good stuff now n then just because I'm too stubborn to try it out for that reason. Tenkara fits into this category.

Posted on: 2012/7/15 1:41

From Clinton County, Pa.
Quote:

Broad_Top wrote:
Some of the sentiments on here speak to me. If you genuinely enjoy it, I think that's great. But I'm always suspicious of things that come across as fad-ish. Maybe even hold myself back on some good stuff now n then just because I'm too stubborn to try it out for that reason. Tenkara fits into this category.
Try it you might like it. Like I said earlier it is a fun way to fish, but my Tenkara rod will not replace my other flyrods. What I question are fellas who bad mouth Tenkara flyfishing who have not tried it. They should withhold judgement until they experience it.

Posted on: 2012/7/15 11:10

From SEPA
Quote:

WildTigerTrout wrote:
What I question are fellas who bad mouth Tenkara flyfishing who have not tried it. They should withhold judgement until they experience it.

How about bad mouthing the horde of ninja wannabes who endlessly prattle on about their purity of essence over someone who thinks its all very silly?

That cool, or no, I should suck up their endless stream of nonsense?

Posted on: 2012/7/15 12:11

From Dauphin
I say do whatever you want but when I go on tenkaras website and watch a video and the people in it say when you see a western ff he is yourENEMY. Makes me feel like its some sort of cult. Some people are followers though. Also makes you seem like an idiot lol.

Btw if anyone wants to buy/trade a tenkara Iwana rod shoot me a pm. Lol

Posted on: 2012/7/15 12:25

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com