Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: Tenkara, now everybody will want one

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
I have/had a Tenkara rod. Won it at the jam. Darn thing broke while yard casting, before I even got it to the stream.

Certainly not a fan, but I don't exactly hate it either. I saw it as a novelty. I sometimes like novelties. Yes, with how skinny and whippy that thing was, so light, and with the line attached to the end, I could see it being very sensitive for high stick nymphing, so long as your not using tons of shot to do it. You'd be sacrificing a lot of flexibility to get that sensitivity. And that's pretty much all there is to say.

I didn't see it as simpler or anything like that. Simpler in form, maybe. But without flexibility to adapt to situations, fishing becomes more difficult, IMO.

Posted on: 2012/7/12 21:43

From Harrisburg
Dear Board,

I never knew I was a trend setter?

I used to use a Tenkara rod to catch crappies and bluegills when I lived in Florida 30 years ago. Only thing is, it said Uncle Buck on the side.

I might dig it out and try it again, you could torture fish on their beds by dropping a foam spider or a weighted Wooly Worm on their heads. Plus it was awesome for slinging live crickets or minnies into brush piles.

http://www.basspro.com/Uncle-Buck-s-r ... cmCat=CROSSSELL_THUMBNAIL

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Posted on: 2012/7/12 22:32
"Then the coal company came with the world's largest shovel, and they tortured the timber and stripped all the land. Well they dug for their coal till the land was forsaken, then they wrote it all down as the progress of man."

From Bucks County
Quote:

gfen wrote:

The problem is too many people are hung up on all busy work of being tenkara simpletons.

Ah don't let all that zen bs get your panties all in a bunch. Its not taking over the world anytime soon… or ever. As said the 2 legged hominid holding the rod is the biggest obstacle to catching trout. (western, eastern, or somewhere south of Tijuana)

I’m cheap, its ghetto, it catches fish (at least on these sewer effluent enriched LV streams) I’m in to catching fish, how I get there doesn’t concern me much. My other rods still see the light of day, when... I feel like it. Just now the mass muppets can buy into it and pass around the coolaid too (via Orvis)

I better stop, my post count is gonna hit 30, might start to seem like I care.

Posted on: 2012/7/12 23:04

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
what ever happened to to European nymphing (high sticking), thought that was the big craze !! now its cane pole and bobber ????

Posted on: 2012/7/13 6:13

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From harlansburg
I'm gonna get mine now, cause I know this is gonna be the hot thing in a week or so!!
https://www.ronco.com/products/pocket-fisherman.html

Posted on: 2012/7/13 6:16

From MONTCO
For Orvis, it could be a Godfather thing. Keep your enemies closer. By offering the Tenkera, they are telling Orvis customers, "Hey, we don't compete with the Tenkera rod and it will never replace our Western rods. It's just a neat diversion from time to time, so here you go." The functionality of the Tenkara aside, Westerners are gadget gurus and there just isn't enough bling, or money to spend on the Tenkera, so it will never replace a Western fishing outfit. Plus, for many, it's not just about catching fish, it's the journey. Balancing the rod, reel, and line, tying the right fly, etc. that's all part of the journey.

I think Smike wrote that he wants to catch fish and how he gets there doesn't matter much. Well then grab a pole and a worm and have it. He doesn't just want to catch fish, he wants to catch fish on his terms, as we all do, whatever those terms are (and they change at times). Lots of guys fly fish for trout, but spin for bass. They could fly for bass, but they choose not to. It's about choices and I think the gun industry has shown us that. The 30-06 is more than capable of taking every game in North America, as is the 6.5x55 Swede for that matter. So what the heck are all the other calibers for????

Posted on: 2012/7/13 6:31

From Chester County
Me thinks yous guys think too much.

Just another (simpler) way to fish.

Zen, trend, schmend. East, west, schmest.....Kielbasa flies?

Like when you were a kid - cut off a nice branch from a tree, tie on a line and try it out.

Posted on: 2012/7/13 7:47

From Lansdale
I'm gonna get mine now, cause I know this is gonna be the hot thing in a week or so!!
https://www.ronco.com/products/pocket-fisherman.html

I still have one my Dad was given as a joke. He received it in the early 70's. Go Popeil!

Posted on: 2012/7/13 8:03

From SEPA
Quote:

afishinado wrote:
Like when you were a kid - cut off a nice branch from a tree, tie on a line and try it out.

Afish-san,

You are correct. The humble and simple child sees the matrix of the universe with an uncluttered eye and grasps the sublime simplicity of the one fly approach we embrace in Tenkahda.

The switch and string is not unlike our Tentkara rods, a child's wooden sword to our katanas, but with the wide eyed grasp of all of life's inner mysteries for one to explore.

If only more people had your open mind instead of their closed Western minds, and their hobbling fly reels.

Posted on: 2012/7/13 8:27

From lancaster county
I don't get the fad myself but I don't understand the hate for it either.

Big deal.

Posted on: 2012/7/13 8:46

No hate,just boys ginning each other.
No different than Beagles and stealers fans.

Posted on: 2012/7/13 8:58

From SEPA
Quote:

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:

Big deal.

i hate the player, not the game. go troll through a tenkara forum or watch one of their videos. when you're done, you will want to claw their zen monk simplicity eyes out too.

Posted on: 2012/7/13 9:01

Some what ironic that the first practitioners of the"Art" would be the least likely to preach C & R.

Posted on: 2012/7/13 9:06

From Bucks County
Quote:

joseywales wrote:
Well then grab a pole and a worm and have it. He doesn't just want to catch fish, he wants to catch fish on his terms, as we all do, whatever those terms are (and they change at times). Lots of guys fly fish for trout, but spin for bass. They could fly for bass, but they choose not to. It's about choices and I think the gun industry has shown us that.

Correct, we all do just about 99.99% of the things we do for our own reasons and always wanting to do them on our own terms. (even when we say we are doing it for someone else) This isn't any 3rd rate country here.

My terms have changed from stick, line and worm when I was 6. They have been become pretty strict based on C+R premise. (i.e leave things the way they were when you got there, and still swimming.) Tenkara fits that, so it’s another tool in the shed. It’s entertaining in arguing this vs. that when it comes to it, unless you want to toss around a worm on the end, but that’s entirely different debate and each to their own.

I can’t tell anyone how there life is gonna change if they just pop some sakasa and wash it down with some kebari. I’m sure thou, that it can’t be as entertaining as throwing down a hand full of stumble biscuts…

Posted on: 2012/7/13 9:19

From Bucks County
Quote:

gfen wrote:
Quote:

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:

Big deal.

i hate the player, not the game. go troll through a tenkara forum or watch one of their videos. when you're done, you will want to claw their zen monk simplicity eyes out too.

Yup and if I were allow all the righteous fly rod sh!$heads get under my skin, I would have gone postal 20 yrs ago, and never have fished.

Posted on: 2012/7/13 9:23

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com