Temple Fork Rod Reviews

G

GStan

I've been thinking about getting a Temple Fork BVK 8 weight rod.
I would be using it for small/largemouth bass and possibly carp.
I'd be interested in hearing experiences and reviews on the BVK and
other Temple Fork rods.

Bvk is a great rod
I have a few and would say they are the best bang for your buck out of any fly rod on the market

I am toying with buying the same rod. I'd use it on the Susquehanna and connodoguinet but also for South Jersey bay and surf as well as occasionally in the Tampa Bay area. Any thoughts on this?

I got an 8wt 9ft BVK for xmas. I've only fished it a handful of times. It seems like they went cheap on some aspects to accomodate a better rod blank at the desired price. For example, my rod handle has a minor defect, there's no hook holder, and it doesn't come with a rod tube.
It's a really fast action. It doesn't load the way i'd like with a wf 8F line. That said, i can still boom some casts out pretty good. i'm hoping it loads better with sinking lines, if not i'll probably overline. I'm yet to be super impressed with the rod, but again i've only used it a few times so far.

If you look at my post for tfo 5 wt switch just a few below this one....In a nut shell it's a great rod for the money. Don't try a switch rod...Once ya do ya won't go back...You could get a 6 wt and bang out 90 foot casts w no backcast room.

http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/8weightshootout.saltwaterflyrodreview.flyrod.comparison.flyrodtest.LoomisNRX.HardyProAxis.BVK.St.Croix.LegendElite.SageXi3.aspa shop in MT puts the BVK up against most of the other 8wts on the market

scores a 97/100
beating out lots of $600+ and $700+ rods
it comes in second only to the NRX (which is just shy of 800)

Being a very fast action rod it really doesn't load up and excel until you get to 40ft
- some would say that overling or a wt and a half lines (like a GPX) would be best

I have the 8wt BVK and love it for bass. The ONLY negative (and a minimal one) I've found is the lack of a hook keeper and that's the ONLY negative I've found after hundreds of fish. That and the lifetime warranty makes it a WINNER in my book. That bass in my avatar was caught on my BVK. Pair it up with a Lamson Konic and you won't be disappointed! If your ever in the Harrisburg area let me know I'll let you cast her. I'm heading down to the LIttle Lehigh on Saturday if that's in your neck of the woods I could bring it along.

I saw those reviews which is why the rod is high on my list. As for the hook holder, my fancy expensive (it was a gift) Winston doesn't have a hook holder and it pisses me off every time. I like the Lamson idea; I use a Lamson Guru on my 5 wt and love it. Any thoughts about the rods use in salt?

I stopped putting hook holders on rods I build a while ago, I started hooking the fly on the stripping guide, then wrapping the leader around the reel and back up to the tiptop. most of the time by doing this I have fly line out the tiptop and don't have to mess with it everytime I come to a new hole on the creek. I guess it would keep the leader from kinking as well.
point is, I wouldn't let the lack of hook keeper stop me from buying a rod if it did everything I wanted it to do, especially if the price was right!

Stoneman, i've only used it in salt once, but it was fine for smaller flies and fish this size.

Attachments

• linesides.jpg
    linesides.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 3
Back