Temple Fork BVK 6 & 8 weights

S

Sylvaneous

I got a chance to spend a good deal of time casting these rods. I was really impressed. A cursory glance at the finish job looked nice. The 8 wt. casted really well. It is hard for me to split hairs unless I'm casting them or fishing them back-to-back. The differences are just too subtle. But that being said, it should indicate that this is an eminently desirable rod. The 6 wt. was springier than the 8 wt. But I liked it better than the 6 wt. I was currently fishing with, a Redington CPS, which is a pretty fast rod. I liked how the BVK loaded and easily transferred the energy of the cast to the line. My 6 wt doesn't seem to like heavier line. It seems to NOT load up. I got a 7 wt for it for river smallmouth fishing and it really does not perform well with a line that it should absolutely fire out. The BVK felt really good but it was a saltwater model, so the heavier reel seat makes the tip feel really light. Overall, great rods at the price. I always though Temple Fork rods casted and fished well (some better than others, for sure) but were a bit heavy. These are as light as anything and will go toe-to-toe with the best. Again, I'd really have to line them up in shoot-out format to clearly say I liked one over the other. And then, it might simply be personal style & preference.

I have an 8wt BVK and I was blown away the first time I casted it, but im no judge of what is a good rod is or what is junk. All I know is it has landed me hundreds of bass and it sure does cast with alot less effort than my grandfathers old glass rod I fished with for the past 20 years. That rod would tear up anyones arm after 8 hrs on the water. And the lifetime warranty is really nice also!

Back