Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: TFO Rods

From Bozeman
My first rod was a TFO lefty kreh professional. I still use it for 4wt duty. It is one of my favorite rods, and I have cashed in on the warranty a few times.

It is not a high performance rod, nor is it marketed as one. It's the honda civic of fly rods IMO. It runs slightly better than average, but does it well. It's a moderate-fast action, and has decent feel. For the price, it's tough to beat.

Posted on: 2010/9/16 15:44

From Florida
I have the TFO Lefty Kreh Professional 5 wt. that is my "workhorse" rod. At first, I found it a bit stiff in comparison to my old rod, but the faster action has really grown on me.

Though I have never used or casted one, you might want to look at Echo Rods as well. They are in the same price range as the TFOs, and I hear a lot of good things about them.

Posted on: 2010/9/16 17:28

- Ray Bergman

The TFO TiCr series (and especially the TiCrx series) are not trout rods and I wouldn’t get anything in either series under 7wt. They are excessively stiff, have fat tips, and are made for throwing heavier flies and lots of line. I have the 9’, 8wt TiCr and it is a nice bass, light salt, and salmon/steelhead rod.

The best trout rod in the TFO lineup is the Finesse series. It has a nice medium-fast action and is an excellent all around trout rod. It has feel and you can fish the rod up close and it can reach out 50 feet with ease. You’re not going to make 70 foot long casts heaving a Clouser with the Finesse but for normal trout fishing conditions, for the price, this rod is tough to beat.

The Professional series is also a really nice rod for the money. It’s a stiffer action rod but because the rod’s diameter is rather thin (especially at the tip, not broomstick like the TiCr series), it has good feel and you can actually fish the rod in close quarters. I have an 8’, 3wt as a spare and it is a very fishable rod and a much better rod than many other rods twice the price.

As for Echo, I’ve cast a few (don’t remember the series) and was impressed. The series I cast was very much like the Finesse series – a nice medium-fast action.

Most importantly, cast as many as you can because what feels nice to me may feel like crap to you. And when you test cast the rod, test cast it in situations of how you will be fishing it.

Posted on: 2010/9/17 8:12

From SEPA
To add to the above, if you can test on teh water, do so. The lawn doesn't always tell teh whole story.

I've had more than a few rods that felt OK on the lawn, but transformed on the water, including a TCO that went BACK to the store and the one that replaced it... the difference was adding some water. Complete transformation, one went from OK to blah, and the other went from OK to sublime.

Posted on: 2010/9/17 9:47

From Chester County
Quote:

GreenWeenie wrote:
The TFO TiCr series (and especially the TiCrx series) are not trout rods and I wouldn’t get anything in either series under 7wt. They are excessively stiff, have fat tips, and are made for throwing heavier flies and lots of line. I have the 9’, 8wt TiCr and it is a nice bass, light salt, and salmon/steelhead rod.

The best trout rod in the TFO lineup is the Finesse series. It has a nice medium-fast action and is an excellent all around trout rod. It has feel and you can fish the rod up close and it can reach out 50 feet with ease. You’re not going to make 70 foot long casts heaving a Clouser with the Finesse but for normal trout fishing conditions, for the price, this rod is tough to beat.

The Professional series is also a really nice rod for the money. It’s a stiffer action rod but because the rod’s diameter is rather thin (especially at the tip, not broomstick like the TiCr series), it has good feel and you can actually fish the rod in close quarters. I have an 8’, 3wt as a spare and it is a very fishable rod and a much better rod than many other rods twice the price.

As for Echo, I’ve cast a few (don’t remember the series) and was impressed. The series I cast was very much like the Finesse series – a nice medium-fast action.

Most importantly, cast as many as you can because what feels nice to me may feel like crap to you. And when you test cast the rod, test cast it in situations of how you will be fishing it.

Great evaluation by GW. I agree completely, but everyone is not the same when it comes to evaluating a (casting & fishing) a fly rod. Use any analysis as a basis for choosing the rods you would like to cast. The best rod for you will become apparent.

Posted on: 2010/9/17 10:14

From Harrisburg PA
Ry,

mine was not a real report why?

Scott

just kidding, I'm sure you didn't see it!

Posted on: 2010/9/17 11:00

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
Yours was a real report scotto, just a little jabbing about the layers of crappy posts in this thread. It's that time of the year when everyone gets bored lol.

Posted on: 2010/9/17 13:48

From Harrisburg PA
I know Ry, just a little jab at you for the same reason.

Scott

Posted on: 2010/9/17 14:24

From Bozeman
Quote:

ryguyfi wrote:
Yours was a real report scotto, just a little jabbing about the layers of crappy posts in this thread. It's that time of the year when everyone gets bored lol.

Since when are you going to criticize the way every PAFF thread is going to go, including ones you've participated in? The OP was driving the conversation in multiple directions.

Posted on: 2010/9/17 15:29

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
I don't know what you're talking about Jay. I've never diverted conversations and am the poster child for how every member should participate on this board!!!

Posted on: 2010/9/17 15:48

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com