TFO Pro. Vs. Scott A2?

fishinginasuit

fishinginasuit

Been looking at rods and reading about them and heading out this week to give a look at and dry run of TFO Pro. 3wts. and Scott A2 3wts.
Anyone have any insight to offer before I give 'em a throw. Anyone own either or have any opinions on them or heard anything on them or justify the one over the other? Obviously one is cheaper but is it worth making the jump up?
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.
Chris

I have neither rod, although Maurice has a Scott A2 as I recall. He may check in with his opinion. There are a lot of great rods out there to try – TFO and Scott are a good start. Have you considered:

Sage fli / Sage Launch
Winston Vapor / Winston Ascent
St. Croix Ultra Legend / SC Avid

All rods above are roughly equivalent in price to the Scott $300+/- and the TFO $200+/-. I’m sure others on the board own and fish some of these rods. See what they say, but the only thing that matters is how they cast and fish for you. Check out the shops in your area and test cast as many as possible before you buy. Good luck.

Chime!

Mr SDA,

I have a Scott A2. Its a 3pc, 5 wt 9 ft. I like it alot. It has a very different action than the same rod in a two pc. (that I didn't like) Which is to say, a 3 wt is one I cannot imagine the action of.

I never liked the thought of or looks of the TFO's. Not because of Lefty, more because they're Korean made and seemed a little "fat at the handle" but I've seen some over the past year that I thought looked a little sweeter.

Like Afish said. You gotta try casting them side by side or one after another in the same day and buy what feels good to you. Imagine money is not an object. Do a "blindfold" test and choose the one your arm likes. Also look at a couple others the shop has inthe same range.

Keep in mind, I would think you are going to be doing nothing but dry flies with this rod. So don't be looking to cast it a country mile. Look for its ability to pick up line and load your full cast in one false cast.

As for the extra $100, my mottos is: "buy the best and only cry once"

Good luck,

Maurice

i have the tfo and scott sas, predecessor to the a2, in a 5 wt and i have the tfo in 3 wt. comparing the 5 wts, the tfo is a bit faster but an overall good rod but i like the scott better. i really like the tfo 3 wt. because it's a bit faster i can fish larger nymphs and streamers with it than a slower 3 wt. but if you're mainly a dry guy the a2 would be more suited. however i recently picked up a 3wt avid , 7', but have yet to fish it. it is definately slower than the fto.

Back