Switch Rod Set-up and Instruction

F

firstcap

I have a 10'6 5wt switch rod that a friend built for me that I use primarily for big water nymphing and streamers. I am currently using an Orvis LA II reel and WF floating line. I would like to expand the rod's use to warm water fishing on mid-large size streams/rivers. I am interested in learning some basic spey casts and how to properly set the rod up for this application. Any tips on PA instructors who could teach me the basics and help with set-up? Thanks in advance for any help.

I forgot to mention, the rod was built with a Rainshadow blank. I understand that this is a slower action than most switch rods, which might limit my options. I have a Wulff Triangle Taper line (not the Ambush) on the outfit now. Thanks again for any help.

I have built a few of those and I can tell you now you won't realize the rods potential until you get the right line for it'

I found that a a line with a 26 FT Head and a weight of 265 Grains works best

I own a switch rod that I built several years using that same blank (7WT) in the same length. Matching it to an appropriate line for two handed casting has been a mystery. Currently, I've got it loaded with a scandi taper spey line that I chopped down the head slightly (can't remember the grain weight but the line was sized for a 9-10 spey rod). It works okay for two handed casting but my sense is this rod may just be too short for effective two hand casting with the more aggressive lines designed for two handed applications. To be sure, I'm not very experienced at two handed casting technique and perhaps this has limited my own ability to figure out this rod. There are companies that offer "switch" lines for rods of this size but they're way more expensive than I'm willing to spend on fly lines.

With respect to learning two handed casting, there's a ton of stuff on Youtube etc.......just be aware that you need a good match between your rod and line to make for an effective two handed set-up.

If you figure it out, by all means let me know.

Take exactly what skip said, get a scandi style head for it, watch as many youtube videos as you can, get out on the water and practice, practice, practice.

The biggest issue I had to overcome was getting my normal casting hand to stay still and using it as a pivot point only. but when you get that and the basic ways to load the rod it will all start coming together.

And once you figure out how to single spey, snap t, and perry poke you can take all that back to single hand fishing, they all work on single hand rods but instead of loading the rod with the lower grip you will be loading the rod with double hauls.

Names to watch on youtube, andrew mckoy (tightlines fly in nj), and bill lowe has some funnies as well.

Oh and if you're willing to make the trip up to the salmon river in july, there is a spey clave right around july 20th.

Let me get on my big computer vs my phone and ill get you some links.

I have a 10'8" Echo 5 wt switch. Tried scandi heads and skagit heads for a while. Never liked the transition to the shooting line when I had to deal with shorter cast. Worked great at 50+ feet. Ended up going with an Ambush 7 wt and have never looked back. They recommend going 3-4 line sizes above your rod weight depending on your casting style preference, but half the time I end up casting basic overhead when I have room and the 7 wt felt better. My .02.

spey nation,it's free and seems like a great time, i'm gonna do all that i can to get there this year.

speynation.com

another thought, i believe dano has that blank as well send him a pm, he's a very nice and very knowledgeable double hand guy.

Thanks for all of the feedback guys...I really appreciate the help. The grain window for the rod is 140-280, so Skip's recommendation of 265 sounds about right and should load the rod quickly. I am probably asking a lot out of this set-up wanting it to be a jack of all trades. Spey Clave guys rave about Steve Godshall lines. I think he helped develop the Rainshadow blanks and builds custom lines specific to how a guy wants to fish. Anyone have any experience with him?

firstcap wrote:
Thanks for all of the feedback guys...I really appreciate the help. The grain window for the rod is 140-280, so Skip's recommendation of 265 sounds about right and should load the rod quickly. I am probably asking a lot out of this set-up wanting it to be a jack of all trades. Spey Clave guys rave about Steve Godshall lines. I think he helped develop the Rainshadow blanks and builds custom lines specific to how a guy wants to fish. Anyone have any experience with him?

You can't go wrong with Steve G. I fish a bunch of his lines. Calling him is your best bet, and allow yourself some time to talk because he is thorough. You won't be disappointed.

I don't know that rod you're fishing but I would forget about the Skagit style heads. I'd look at a scandi style head in the upper end of your grain window OR those Wulff Ambush lines are really nice. Also, Rio makes "Switch" lines but I have no experience with these.

Check out the Rajeff Sports videos on youtube as well.

I made my own for that same rod. a 19' head will go almost 130 feet in distance, bring it up with what ever lines you have and we will fine tune it to your casting style..

Thanks again everyone. I spoke with Steve Godshall earlier today and he is building me a Scandi line for the rod, 25' 275 grains.

I appreciate the offer Sandfly. I will be up your way next week (Monday afternoon in Williamsport) and would like to swing by the shop and/or some casting instruction if you'll be around?

I should be here then, plan on fishing in morning so any time after 12 pm is fine..

Sounds good sir. I will call the shop before I leave Williamsport, which should be around 2:15.

Two DVD's I would recommend... Skagit Masters with Ed Ward is fantastic and so is Modern Spey Casting with Simon Gawesworth. It was a total eye opener for me after watching both multiple times and practicing. Youtube is great, but these guys are two of the best in the biz IMHO.

Back