Suggestions for a Versatile 8wt fast-action Rod

Char_Master

Char_Master

Hey, guys. Looking for some suggestions on a new 8wt setup. I got my first 8wt last September (initially for steelhead, been used for various species since then), and after fighting a multitude of large 5-15+ pound fish of various species on this rod, I realized I need something different. The rod I'm using now is a 9' 8wt redington Crosswater. It's nice overall, and was a great first 8wt for only $90, but I have some complaints about it too. Among those include the swing weight is too heavy, it doesn't have enough backbone to really put the breaks on larger 10+ pound reel burners, and it's truly a chuck-and-duck rod when I throw weighted streamers on it.

For a new rod, I'm thinking bump up to a 9'6" or 10' rod for that extra line control and a few extra inches between me and the rod when I've got those size 2/0 meat flies on the end of my line haha. Also thinking I want a fast action rod, as opposed to the mod-fast action of my Crosswater. This new rod will have to be very versatile but I'll mainly be using heavier/bulkier flies with it, so I think a fast action would be easier to cast with and less, well, dangerous to my neck!

Applications for this rod, like I said, various larger species of fish and various types of flies. Steelhead, Brown Trout, random/rare Erie Salmon, shallower water Lake Trout, smaller Esox like Chain Pickerel and little Pike, Bowfin, Longnose Gar, Common Carp, Buffalo, Redhorse, larger White Suckers, large (or big water) Black Bass, Channel Catfish, Drum, and big meat flies for smaller inland Trout. So yeah, when I say multiple species, I mean a LOT of species LOL. And as for the flies, everything from big nymphs and berries for Carp and Buffalo, poppers and streamers for Black Bass, articulated streamers for Pike and Channel Cats, heavy nymph/egg rigs for Steelies and Suckers, and lots of other stuff.

I will be using it for a few smaller fly applicantions too (like the steelhead and sucker rigs), but not as often as the big stuff, and I'm mainly concerned that this rod has the backbone to chuck very large flies and put the brakes on a 30 pound Carp or Buffalo, while not feeling like I'm holding an Uglystick all day.

I'd prefer to stay in the $100-200 range but could go up to $250 for a nicer rod. Whatever it is, I'll be pairing it with my current dedicated 8wt reel which has been working very nicely for me, a Sage 3280 with WF8F line.

Thanks for the help, all!
-Sean

Stalk this site: http://www.farmingtonriver.com/used-rods-reels/?sort=pricedesc

TFO BVK

Should be perfect for what you want.

If you're concerned with using the rod to fight fish, maybe look into a rod that's advertised for saltwater. There is a difference between a fresh and salt rod of the same wt, in regard to fighting.

allan_s wrote:
TFO BVK

Should be perfect for what you want.

I've had a few people suggest that rod to me already, so it's definitely high on my list. Supposed to be a machine for throwing streamers 70'+. Although, I have heard it can be very inaccurate and stiff for close range stuff, and a lot of my fishing is casting less than 20-25'. The problem is trying to find that perfect rod for both close range and long range. Definitely still a consideration though.

Anyone here used a Fenwick Aetos as a streamer rod? Only $170 for a fast action 9'6" 8wt and I've heard they're killer rods for the price, just don't personally know anyone who's used one.

Another rod I've looked in to a bit is the Redington Vice, which comes in both 9' and 10' 8wt fast action models, $200. Although again, don't personally know anyone who's used one so I don't just want to to off of positive online fly shop reviews without getting some opinions from unbiased anglers. My experience with redington so far has proved that most of there rods are either "can't put it down" (like my 3wt pursuit) or "don't want to pick it up" (friends have told me about that with the vapens...). Though I can't complain too much about the Crosswater, which is pretty decent other than the backbone.

Upcountry has a Scott A4 for $200.

EBay has a Redington CPX 8wt on auction that ends in 36 hours.

BVK is a good suggestion but toward the top of your price range. Echo Ion falls into your price range and has the reputation of being bulletproof.

If you could find a used Scott S4 8wt or S4S 7wt for your budget, that might be a good stick.

I question if you want a fast rod or a rod with a stiff butt. They are different things. Fast rod might feel dead or very difficult to fish in close (20' or so). Faster rod will probably throw tighter loops but is that a benefit when streamer fishing? Tight loops may equal broken rod tip or streamer burried in you head.

I'd also suggest learning to use the lower half of your rod to fight fish as it's much stronger. You'll whip fish much faster once you fight them that way.

krayfish2 wrote:
Upcountry has a Scott A4 for $200.

EBay has a Redington CPX 8wt on auction that ends in 36 hours.

BVK is a good suggestion but toward the top of your price range. Echo Ion falls into your price range and has the reputation of being bulletproof.

If you could find a used Scott S4 8wt or S4S 7wt for your budget, that might be a good stick.

I question if you want a fast rod or a rod with a stiff butt. They are different things. Fast rod might feel dead or very difficult to fish in close (20' or so). Faster rod will probably throw tighter loops but is that a benefit when streamer fishing? Tight loops may equal broken rod tip or streamer burried in you head.

I'd also suggest learning to use the lower half of your rod to fight fish as it's much stronger. You'll whip fish much faster once you fight them that way.

Thanks for the suggestions! That's a good point about the stiff butt, and I'd say that's more what I'm looking for. The reason I was thinking fast action is simply because a lot of the guys out west I talk to that throw big meat flies seem to think that faster rods are easier to cast heavy flies with. Maybe not, but I know my mod-fast Crosswater can't even throw a 1/4" Conehead offender without the risk of a hooked neck! What do you mean about using the lower half? My rod is in full flex during most fights, and just last weekend I had the rod bent almost in a U holding it completely horizontal with 5 pounds of drag on a big carp that still took over 120' of line on me!

"The guys out west say.....". That is fantastic if you are going out west but you have to use what works for you and you stream. If you read too much.....you could end up with a setup to chuck streamers on the Madison when it's high or a setup to streamer fish the White when they are running 5 units. I'm guessing that would be a very wrong setup for around here. In all honesty, how often is your streamer cast a lob and not a 65'-75' bomb? I've thrown a circus peanut on 7wt line with a 15' 7ips sink tip with a old 6wt rod (because I forgot to bring the 7wt). It worked good enough. Basically it's a pick up, haul and shoot....almost like spin fishing.

You have a Redington starter rod and think that you'll see a noticeable difference with any rod you upgrade to. Don't get caught up in the manufacturer hype. Get what you need and test cast as many models as you can.

Here the only thing I could find quickly on "fighting fish using the butt of the rod".
https://youtu.be/afN9i6gEhec

krayfish2 wrote:
"The guys out west say.....". That is fantastic if you are going out west but you have to use what works for you and you stream. If you read too much.....you could end up with a setup to chuck streamers on the Madison when it's high or a setup to streamer fish the White when they are running 5 units. I'm guessing that would be a very wrong setup for around here. In all honesty, how often is your streamer cast a lob and not a 65'-75' bomb? I've thrown a circus peanut on 7wt line with a 15' 7ips sink tip with a old 6wt rod (because I forgot to bring the 7wt). It worked good enough. Basically it's a pick up, haul and shoot....almost like spin fishing.

You have a Redington starter rod and think that you'll see a noticeable difference with any rod you upgrade to. Don't get caught up in the manufacturer hype. Get what you need and test cast as many models as you can.

Here the only thing I could find quickly on "fighting fish using the butt of the rod".
https://youtu.be/afN9i6gEhec

Very true, I guess it's all dependent on the exact uses of the rod, although as I said, something to cover all bases for heavy fly use would be nice. Actually, roughly speaking, when I use any weighted streamer over a size 2 (assuming that I put more weight on larger flies), my cast gets very sloppy/dangerous and I can't usually get the fly out more than 20-30'. Whereas, I can shoot out a size 4 dumbbell eye clouser 100' like a cannon no problem. But big size 2/0 pike flies, no go. I'll definitely be holding on to my crosswater, and I've found a handful of applications that it truly excels in, but I'd like to pick up a dedicated large streamer/meat rod as well. And I have to agree with you there, testing a rod in person is definitely the best way to find a good fit for what I want to use it for.

As for that video, that's how I fight my fish now. Keep the rod either completely flat-horizontal or only slightly up and have the entire rod fighting the fish, but I always run in to a few beasts that still manage to whup me or take 20 minutes to land regardless lol.

The reason I was thinking fast action is simply because a lot of the guys out west I talk to that throw big meat flies seem to think that faster rods are easier to cast heavy flies with. Maybe not, but I know my mod-fast Crosswater can't even throw a 1/4" Conehead offender without the risk of a hooked neck!

As unsatisfying as it is, asking about this on a board won't bring you to where you want to be with a rod. You really have to cast them with someone who wont' tell you that every rod you hold will be great for you. A rod that loads well casts weight better than one that does not. Do you fish with anyone else who uses an 8 wt or fishes the same way as you do? That would be a great source. It would be of benefit to have someone who knows well how to cast and fish heavy stuff. I had only the lightest of a once-over from a few authorities before I had a bass rod. (But seriously, having Gary Borger, Bob Clouser and Lefty giving you a quick lesson is a good way to start. But It's not like i got a tutorial on the water.) It is hard to imagine a situation where your rod is insufficient to fight fish. Point the rod at 60 degrees away from the fish and down to the side. To practice, get something heavy, like a jug of water and pull it back to you over some good distance. you will figure out what to do or you will break your rod.

but you want a rod that will load. You are not fishing for stripers at 110 feet.
Syl

Agreed all ^

Just about every rod manufacturer has a rod line in your price range.

No one can tell you how well a rod will work for you.

Cast as many rods as you can before you buy.

Here is an article with some solid general info about how fly rods are designed and how to choose a rod that fits your needs.

Good luck.

I have an Orvis Clearwater that fits those needs. 9ft 8wt 4pc. 200 bucks. I use it for big fresh and to the beach. fairly fast. I think one would work for you.

Back