Suggestions for Lake Erie Steelhead Reel

ezpickins

ezpickins

My dad's looking to buy a reel for Great Lakes Steelheading - he asked what I would suggest. I wasn't sure.

I have a Pflueger Summit that I've been using for steelheading - it's okay but the drag adjustment knob is slippery and hard to use when it gets wet (or icy). So I really wouldn't recommend it.

The price range would be say up to about $150.

Thanks

g loomis Ventue reel for 'bout $100...
great reel for the price. great quality, good looking, love how it sings!

I have a graphite/plastic reel on my 7 wt steelhead rig right now and I've been kicking around the idea of upgrading the reel for next fall. I've spent some time considering the options, and if I were buying right now I would buy an Okuma Helios. You can get one from e-bay with shipping for right around $150.

Check that, $135 with free shipping. link

Mfgs. site

If you're looking for a fantastic reel for less than $100 that is light with a great drag I'd do some internet searching for an Okuma Integrity 7/8. New they go for 80-90 bucks I think but you can find them on ebay for much less. Poor Richards in Erie also had them in their case for 65-75 the last time I was there.

Also check out ebay for the discontinued Lamson Velocity Hard Alox. I picked up one for my 10 wt for $160 but I've seen the 7/8 model (3 or 3.5 for 8/9) for about $130.

Also the Teton Tioga reels are very nice with a good drag system in that price range.

Those are my suggestions for you. Good luck and remember ebay can really be your friend for higher priced reels.

I second the Okuma integrity. I got that this year with my first steelhead setup and it performed great on my first trip.

I have a Ross Rhythm. I have a few Ross reels (really like them). Some of them can be a bit high in price. The low end up to the high end reels - they are all nice reels.

i have the okuma helios and it does just fine for me

I love my Cabelas SLA, I have it in three different sizes. We hit the Lake Erie tribs for steel head four times a year and we average 20 fish per day per person on most trips, so that reel takes a beating. Even on not so good trips we still will bring no less than five fish per person to the net.

Loomis venture on my 9wt, and I'm going to pair my 11.5' 6wt with a cabelas prestige plus II. I'm pretty sure that the prestige plus will be ok when coupled with the longer rod.

As for the loomis, it's been great. david's dead on.

I have a Lamson Velocity on my 7wt and my brother fishes a Lamson Radius on his. Both are nice reels with a great drag system. Lamson seems to make some kind of change to their reels each year so you can find good deals if you don't mind a year old model.

Back