Stripping Basket

Fredrick

Fredrick

I was thinking about getting a stripping basket for when I'm fishing for bass .I was told that I could have more line control and longer casts . I know that a lot of people make their own but I plan on buying one . What are the advantage to having a soft mesh basket to having a plastic one any opinions would be appreciated

THXS FRED :cool:

the mesh ones sometimes collapse when its windy conditions. and dont allow the line to release right..on the other hand they pack nice..I like the orvis ones and have tried them all including making some..I prefer the hard sided ones. Another idea is if you dont need one all the time you can tuck the brim of your hat in your wading belt and put the line in your hat.

The mesh ones drain better too. When I lived in Mass., I would striper fish quite a bit in the surf. With the plastic ones, I would often get sprayed in the eye with salt water during casting (mostly when fishing at night) because the water wouldn't completely drain. This is a small consideration (esp. if you are fishing in calm water), but the salt water would burn!!!

I have one that I bought a few years ago for the beach...orvis I think...was 20 bucks...great if the water is throwing your line around and you need to keep it out of the waves or the current. For the Susky I'm not sure it would benefit you that much unless you don;t like to manage your line in your empty hand. I also find it just a little awkward to strip vertically into the thing rather than bringing the line across and behind me. But if you can borrow one or use and old wading belt and an old plastic dish pan (just poke some drain holes in the bottom) you could decide whether its worth spending the money on either version.

I like the hard baskets type. When not in use you can turn them to the back and I’ll turn mine when I have a big fish on to get it out of the way when all the line is out of the basket. I don’t like the collapses able ones if you have a running fish and it collapses bye-bye fishy.

Joe E

Back