Strike Indicators

PatriotFly26

PatriotFly26

Okay. So Strike indicators....Which ones have you found to work the best. Stick on ones, foam football ones, yarn ones??? Help me out here.

Home made yarn.

I would recommend staying away from the stick on kind. You should be adjusting the the distance of the indicator regularly...you cannot do this with the stick on ones (plus they never seem to last long).

Its almost just a personal preference beyond that...

I have gravitated towards the thingamabobbers fwiw. Easy to put on, not hard to move, durable, lightweight, easy to cast. While they have a few drawbacks (kinking the line), I don't know of any indicators that don't have drawbacks.

Search the forum. Hundreds of pages of discussion on this.

I use thingamabobbers exclusively now. I've tried every other kind and find them very easy to use, take on and off, and adjust. they don't impair the casting much either.

How do you attach the thingamabobbers?

gives you the basic idea

http://willfishforwork.com/2008/11/29/attaching-an-indicator-to-your-fly-fishing-line-101/

PatriotFly26 wrote:
How do you attach the thingamabobbers?

Dear Patriot,

You just attach the leader to the thingamajig silly! ;-)

I use of have used just about everything possible. I like the Turn-On strike indicators myself, but I sometimes use the foam stick-on Palsa indicators, Loon Strike Putty or the foam football type with the rubber core.

I hate the yarn indicators with a passion.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Meck swears by the Patriot Fly as an indicator. Delicious irony huh?

I use a dry fly as an indicator too but not a patriot , something high floating usually a foam beetle , ant or such with a high vis wing or hot spot. My buddy had one he gave me for Erie that was egg shaped foam with a split for leader and a "peg" to set distance , those were nice.

I was using the twist on strike indicators for a while. Then I switched to thing-ama-bobbers and have been liking them a lot. They float great, a little more durable, and easier to set the depth.

The only thing I don't like about the thingamabobbers is that when you're using a lighter tippet, like 6x, they tend to slide around a bit, especially if you're casting a little bit. I wish they made the ring out of a soft rubber to give it some friction.

wsender wrote:
The only thing I don't like about the thingamabobbers is that when you're using a lighter tippet, like 6x, they tend to slide around a bit, especially if you're casting a little bit. I wish they made the ring out of a soft rubber to give it some friction.

You spoke and they listened. Sort of.

Why can't I find a pic of the new design online? I am failing. It's in the Eastern Fly Fishing that just came out. They have pegs that go through the hole now to avoid slippage.

I have tried most indicators on the market and like the "Thingamabobber" above the rest for reasons already mentioned. Once in awhile you may have to use your leader straightner after you take the indicator off to take out the kink. Other than that IMO they work great.

I use the same ones, and I got them in Erie. No kinking of the line, which I hate. I am going to pick up some of the Loon putty for smaller creeks.

osprey wrote:
I use a dry fly as an indicator too but not a patriot , something high floating usually a foam beetle , ant or such with a high vis wing or hot spot. My buddy had one he gave me for Erie that was egg shaped foam with a split for leader and a "peg" to set distance , those were nice.

I use split little corkies or The thingamabobber with a ferrled leaders only. The braid of the leader is such that they don't kink the leader.

Try using a small piece of toothpick to secure the Thingie. It works!

I like the pompom yarn indicators. I feel they are the most sensitive but they do lack the ability to hold more than 2 bb size spilt shots. I like white for that color for me is easy to see and does not spook fish. Reusable and very durable they seam to out last the thinga by about 3 to 1.

Another Thingamabobber fan here. Best indicators I've ever used. I also have some super small "tipper indicators" I bought from Cabelas, which are also nice but the rubber/foam tends to wear out quickly and they will fly off on occasion when casting, which is why I made the switch.

Cheers,
Mike.

Well, just my .02

1. For much of my nymphing, I find myself not using indicators at all. This is especially true in deep, fast runs, where I do most of my nymphing. I'm a high sticker.

2. On small, shallow, and/or slow streams, I often use a dry-dropper. I think it spooks less fish, the dry is useful, and if I do switch to a dry all you gotta do is take the dropper off.

3. In situations where I use an honest to goodness indicator, it's the thingamabobber. I use it most when I want to nymph slow and deep. With no indicator, the fly just settles to the bottom instead of rolling. With the weight needed to get down quickly, a dry is likely to sink. Thats where the strike indicator comes in. Very common when I go steelheading, for instance. Thingamabobber floats well, casts well, is visible without being too gaudy, and I like the right angle leader approach for these situations.

Back