Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Strike Indicators

From "THE VILLE"
I use split little corkies or The thingamabobber with a ferrled leaders only. The braid of the leader is such that they don't kink the leader.

Posted on: 2011/1/1 23:58
in the box, for if it is evil you seek,
then it can only be conjured with the
same.”

From Chester County
Try using a small piece of toothpick to secure the Thingie. It works!

Posted on: 2011/1/2 8:42

From Erie Co.
I like the pompom yarn indicators. I feel they are the most sensitive but they do lack the ability to hold more than 2 bb size spilt shots. I like white for that color for me is easy to see and does not spook fish. Reusable and very durable they seam to out last the thinga by about 3 to 1.

Posted on: 2011/1/2 9:48

From Chicago, IL
Another Thingamabobber fan here. Best indicators I've ever used. I also have some super small "tipper indicators" I bought from Cabelas, which are also nice but the rubber/foam tends to wear out quickly and they will fly off on occasion when casting, which is why I made the switch.

Cheers,
Mike.

Posted on: 2011/1/2 11:20

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Well, just my .02

1. For much of my nymphing, I find myself not using indicators at all. This is especially true in deep, fast runs, where I do most of my nymphing. I'm a high sticker.

2. On small, shallow, and/or slow streams, I often use a dry-dropper. I think it spooks less fish, the dry is useful, and if I do switch to a dry all you gotta do is take the dropper off.

3. In situations where I use an honest to goodness indicator, it's the thingamabobber. I use it most when I want to nymph slow and deep. With no indicator, the fly just settles to the bottom instead of rolling. With the weight needed to get down quickly, a dry is likely to sink. Thats where the strike indicator comes in. Very common when I go steelheading, for instance. Thingamabobber floats well, casts well, is visible without being too gaudy, and I like the right angle leader approach for these situations.

Posted on: 2011/1/2 15:14

From Lewistown
I prefer in-line indicators, but in other instances where it's not practical, I use home-made yarn or the foam/toothpick ones.

Posted on: 2011/1/3 11:00

Quote:

jdaddy wrote:
Quote:

wsender wrote:
The only thing I don't like about the thingamabobbers is that when you're using a lighter tippet, like 6x, they tend to slide around a bit, especially if you're casting a little bit. I wish they made the ring out of a soft rubber to give it some friction.

You spoke and they listened. Sort of.

Why can't I find a pic of the new design online? I am failing. It's in the Eastern Fly Fishing that just came out. They have pegs that go through the hole now to avoid slippage.

Nice to know. I was thinking about getting some of those small rubberbands that the orthodontists hand out and wrapping it around the ring area to prevent sliding, but hopefully this solves the problems. I'd love to see those photos, and the finished product.

Posted on: 2011/1/3 12:45

From Pittsburgh
I use the dry-dropper method. I definetly think it is better for use on heavily fished areas and spooky fish. Plus I have never caught a fish on the surface with the foam indicator, but sometimes they do take the dry

Posted on: 2011/1/3 23:09

From SEPA
I cry foul! He asked about indicators, not Proper Flye Fyshing with an Angyle, which is obviously dry fly fishing. Making the occasional nod to the barely-refined baitfishing style nymphers by hanging a dropper off it isn't the same.

gfen, classically styled dude (your dudeness, duder, duderino if you're not into the brevity thing) of excellence.

Posted on: 2011/1/3 23:26

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
I use these;

Attach file:

jpg  DSCN6398.JPG (83.70 KB)
112_4d2309640d69f.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  DSCN6400.JPG (95.59 KB)
112_4d230a1732d56.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2011/1/4 6:51

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From New Castle, PA
Quote:

wsender wrote:
Quote:

jdaddy wrote:
Quote:

wsender wrote:
The only thing I don't like about the thingamabobbers is that when you're using a lighter tippet, like 6x, they tend to slide around a bit, especially if you're casting a little bit. I wish they made the ring out of a soft rubber to give it some friction.

You spoke and they listened. Sort of.

Why can't I find a pic of the new design online? I am failing. It's in the Eastern Fly Fishing that just came out. They have pegs that go through the hole now to avoid slippage.

Nice to know. I was thinking about getting some of those small rubberbands that the orthodontists hand out and wrapping it around the ring area to prevent sliding, but hopefully this solves the problems. I'd love to see those photos, and the finished product.

Not too mention that the metal rings eventually get squished and crack creating a sharp edge that will cut your leader unexpectedly. I've been popping the rings out of the thingamabobbers for all of my steelhead fishing since the combo of heavy tippet and large fish destroys the metal rings in short order. The only downside is that the leaders eventually cuts through the loop ruining the indicator, especially if the bobber is placed near the middle of the leader where the line is thinner.

Kev

Posted on: 2011/1/4 8:21

From Sicklerville, NJ / Conshy, PA
Coiled Hi Viz Mono Strike Indicator works the best. No resistance and will not spook. Very sensitive.

Posted on: 2011/1/6 12:06

From S.E. PA
I use yarn from the craft store.

Posted on: 2011/1/6 15:46

From Gloversville, NY
Thingamabobbers....Wouldn't they decrease the strength of the leader just by attaching them?

Posted on: 2011/1/6 17:04

all indicators shine in certain aspects and not so well in other aspects

Posted on: 2011/1/6 18:24

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes
No
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com