Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Streamer Rod?

From WV
If you're going with the outbound short I would go with the 6wt line IMO. Outbound lines are already heavier than AFTMA standards.

For example, on my 7wt, I run outbound short 7wt s6, which has a head weight of 265. A "standard" AFTMA 7wt line weighs 185 +/- 8

Posted on: 2/7 15:16

From Ulysses
I spoke with a Rio tech and he did not recomend over lining the predator with outbound short, streamertip or the sink tip 15' lines.

Posted on: 2/7 19:55

From Frederick, MD & New Philly, OH
First...go cast a bunch of rods at a shop! I do and it's like going and buying a car or truck. Tell the guy selling it to shut up and use it like you would own it.... Shop wisely...find what you like, get the deal and buy it. I cast streamers with winston 3wts and sage 8 wts... it's all about the zen man!

Posted on: 2/7 20:42

From Ulysses
Thats why Im here, TFO and Redington dealers are 4+ hrs, Sage 1hr. There is not a shop near me that carries more than one brand of rod. At this point I am going with the Predator in a 9'6wt and Rio sink tip Line, I have the line narrowed done to 2.

Sink tip 15' DC

Type 3 and 6

6wt - head weight - 160 gr.
7wt - head weight - 185 gr.

Streamer tip (10')

6wt - head weight - 235 gr. (Rio Tech reomended this line).
7wt - head weight - 265 gr.

Type I and 6 (wish it came in a Type 3)

Posted on: 2/8 8:58

Quote:
Average cast being 20-20'.

All this talk about a dedicated streamer rod to do that? Seems to me that this is over complicating matters.

For river fishing with depths up to 10 feet take your 6wt rod with your floating line, remove leader and add 3 to 4 feet of 20lb mono with a loop connection for the butt leader. Then take a length of 20lb lead core line anywhere from 2 to 5 feet long. (Tip - carry several lengths). Make loops on both end of lead line, attached to butt leader and add 3 foot tippet section.

Fish it. Simple. It works. It gets flies down quickly. The heavier lead core line also helps bulkier flies cut through the wind.

Posted on: 2/8 9:48

From Ohio
Agree on not overlining with OBS. Its more or less an integrated shooting head system, and is already way off the AFTMA standards. I use 8 wt OBS on my 8 wt predator, and it is pretty dialed in. Those predator rods are likely not truly the wt ratings that they print on the blank. A 6wt predator would probably not throw a true 6 wt line efficiently at all. I use an 8 wt Streamer Express Long too for when I need it to go deep fast. That line loads up that rod nicely as well.

Posted on: 2/18 10:10

if you are gonna use shooting heads for streamer fishing-get heads a couple sizes heavier then cut off from butt end until it loads your rod for the longest casts you reasonably expect to make.Takes a while to learn what is right for your rod but you will love it if you are wade fishing.Especially with banks behind or windy days.Trust me-30 years of being a Montana river streamer fishing nut,the shortest head possible makes a big difference.About two feet for a 2 heavier head.Don't over do it.

Posted on: 2/18 16:06

From Ulysses
I went with the predator in a 9' 6wt and 7wt Rio 15' dc sinktip S3 & S6.

Posted on: 2/18 20:32

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com