Stream thermometer

W

wangdb

I'm looking for a reliable stream thermometer. My cheapo Orvis failed in a month. I'm wondering if you have any recommendations? I'm thinking about using my IR thermometer.

They all have their good & bad points but I have been using the Fishpond Swift Current Thermometer for several years now.

It is accurate (enough) and small although a bit overpriced.

The other thing I like is the housing is made of aluminum instead of brass. Brass is too heavy and lands like a rock on the rocks if you tether on a long cord like I do. That clunk can break the thermometer.

The lighter Fish Pond Swift Current doesn't do that although it also won't go down as deep in "swift current" as heavier brass because it's lighter.

Bad name choice I guess...

Yo wan - I've gone through a lot of stream thermometers over the years. I do not like any kind of liquid filled thermometers because they tend to break if I leave them in a hot car during the summer. So now I get a cheap meat type dial thermometer from Harbor Freight or the Dollar Store for $5 or less. They need to be calibrated, and have a sharp point, but very durable compared to the liquid or battery powered devices.

https://m.grainger.com/mobile/product/3LRL2?cm_mmc=PPC:+Google+PLA&s_kwcid=AL!2966!3!50916749277!!!g!82166498037!&ef_id=WHQnIQAABPOoWQf5:20180908233758:s

This

Adhesive Strip Liquid Crystal Stick On Thermometer
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MUGNGVW/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?psc=1

summer trip to delaware water gap tribs made me want a better thermometer. many dwgnra streams have impoundments above the park boundary, so thermal issues. some of the streams now also have large amounts of trees down in upper levels from spring snow and wind storms, more sun on some sections. bought a used fluke 61 infrared on ebay for $60. seems more accurate than what I had been using. sometimes want to know whether water is 64 or 68. the fluke takes a 9v seems to have decent battery life. amazon has new ones $150. bit bigger to carry but to me a major piece of gear.

Dumb question but doesn't an infrared thermometer just measure the surface temperature of the water which can be quite different than the temps a foot or so below?

In other words, is it of much value in a deep pool or run or a lake when seeps and other factors can effect the temperature where the fish are?

Because of mixing, the temperature at the surface is very close to temperature at the bottom.

also I usually fish small streams.

Back