Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Steelhead Landing Net

From Coatesville PA
Can i get some recommendations for a portable, strong landing net for wading on the Salmon River in Pulaski?

Posted on: 2013/2/1 7:59

Re: Steelhead Landing Net

From Philadelphia PA
I had the same problem when I went up there last October for the first time. I brought my bass net and it was not big enough for the salmon. One gent that I helped out with his netting of a fish (with his net) provided me with a great lesson. He had me downstream of the salmon and he turned it quickly and let it slide into the net. When I returned about 3 weeks later, I had a much larger net but it was more trouble to carry around - especially when I was not getting any hits. Another thing that I have to learn is how to tire the fish out and not use a net at all.

Dick's Sporting/Cabela's/ Bass Pro shops all have good nets available - you want something with a large opening if your fishing for Salmon or Steelheads. The net has to be strong - unfortunately that normally means the net will have a bit of weight to it. Leave it at the river bank until you need it.

Posted on: 2013/2/1 10:30
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

From Westmoreland County (near fairgrounds)
I got a Frabil folding net from my local Gander Mtn for a solo trip up to fish the Lake Ontario tribs this past fall. The net is plenty big for a king salmon and it can be carried much easier than a non-folding net.

link

Posted on: 2013/2/1 12:15

From Coatesville PA
Thanks for the input. I am particularly interested in the down steam netting technique you mentioned. Guess i'll have to buy a collapsible net and get myself into some cold water to give it a try.

Posted on: 2013/2/1 16:42

From Coatesville PA
Thanks for the link to the Frabil net. Handle looks a little skimpy - have you had a chance to land a big one in it yet?

Posted on: 2013/2/1 16:44

From Westmoreland County (near fairgrounds)
That's about a 9 pound steelhead and an 11 pound brown. I didn't land a king on that trip, but I think the net would be OK up 20 pounds or so. The handle will extend to about 4 feet and the handle is pretty sturdy. The mesh of the net is deep enough that you shouldn't need to muscle a fish with the frame of the folding part of the net. Just guide the fish into the bag and lift.

Posted on: 2013/2/1 22:37

From Philadelphia PA
That day I had 5 salmon on and 5 came off. If only I had a bigger net (you've heard that before) - it may not have been steaks for sure that night. Trying to tire them out before they tire me out was the challenge = for I seem to get more enjoyment the longer I battle a fish. I went home empty handed but not disappointed.

Posted on: 2013/2/2 7:14

Edited by PennypackFlyer on 2013/2/2 7:34:51
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

Here's the net I use on the Lake Ontario tribs for trout. I have a strong magnet setup and just carry it on my back just like the small trout nets. I made one simple change on the handle so it sticks up slightly higher than my head and it works great. I have even netted steelies my my self while standing in the middle of the river in waist high water. I paid around $90 for mine and it's well worth it. http://www.cabelas.com/landing-nets-s ... Mex-7Pal7UCFedxOgodmQYAUA

Posted on: 2013/2/2 8:19

From Coatesville PA
Between what you and Albatross said, it looks like I'll try pack'in a Frabil. Now all i have to do is catch one of those steelies! Thanks to you both. DB

Posted on: 2013/2/2 14:24

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
I just beach em like you would for saltwater fish..

Posted on: 2013/2/4 11:07

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From Philadelphia PA
I think I'll buy a decent magnet and have it mounted to the back of my vest in order to carry a net and keep my hands free.

Posted on: 2013/2/4 12:38

DrunkenBear; here's one for sale that would work and its about 1/2 price. go to huntingpa.com and look under things for sale, fishing stuff. it's almost the same as the one I use.

Posted on: 2013/2/5 0:14

I have the frabill collapsible net and the first time I landed a steelhead with it, it collapsed and out went the fish. I bought a cheap aluminum one with a telescoping handle from wal-mart for my pulaski trip and it was plenty strong for king salmon. (too bad I was only netting other peoples fish, I couldn't land one to save my life) I put a carabiner on it and some duct tape at the grip to keep the handle from falling off. (the handle kept slipping out of the track, I lost it in a field of weeds and it took about 10 minutes with headlamps to find it in the dark.) With it carabinered to my back I could barely tell I was carrying it. It worked great for me.

Posted on: 2013/2/5 9:48

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com