Steelhead/Bass Rod

T

Tristan

Looking to pick up a new rod, hoping it can fill both of these jobs. I'm thinking a 9 foot 7 weight might work? Would be used in Erie tribs and susquehanna for bass. I'll make it to Erie maybe 3 times a year at most and the river maybe 10, since I won't really be using this much I'm really hoping I can use the same rod for both. Last year (the first year I fished steelhead) I used a 9' 9 weight, seems way overkill and it's super heavy as well.

Would two spools for two line options help make this rod dual purpose?

Don't really want to spend much more than $100 for the rod either. Maybe one of those Bass Pro White River Rods or something.

I fish a 9ft 7 wt in Erie and have been very happy with it. The newer trend seems to be longer rod, lighter weight. Say 10ft 6, but this is all personal preference. I use the same rod for fishing smallies on local streams here in WPA.

As to fly lines, it's subjective, I think you could get away with the same line for each. If you had funds to purchase multiple lines and a spare spool, it's something to consider. I would imagine that you'd have much more water to cover on the Susquehanna it's bigger water. Admittedly, I have not fished it though.

For Erie, all you need to do is roll cast and you can fish those tribs.

The 8 or 9 wt would give you an added possibility of fishing for Salmon in NY though. There are plenty of great options out there for under $100.

I can't make a comment on the steelhead part, but I use a 9 ft 7 wt for smallmouth, and I use some pretty large flies. Perfect for me. That rod is a Cortland Black Diamond IM6, served me well for many years. I also fish a Loomis rod that Bob Clouser built for me (won the blank at a TU banquet). I Use a 7-8 triangle taper on that rod.

Thanks 9' 7 weight is sounding pretty good. I was thinking about a 10' 6 weight but that's really limiting my options for the price range I'm looking in.

Orvis is giving away a free spool when you buy one of their reels, thought this would help in your budget if you do decide to fish two different line set ups.

Not sure about bass but if I had it to do over again for an Erie rod I would have gone with a 10' 7 wt.

Tristan,
I used a 8'6" 6wt on the river for years. Got it from Clouser back in the 80's. It works fine unless I'm throwing big stuff.

For less than 100, you can find some stuff. If you are just rollcasting or fishing short distances, there's probably quite a few rods that will work. If you are looking to cast further away or want more back bone in the butt section for playing the fish, you may have to look in the 150-200 range. If you jump over to BassPro, talk to Bobby Clouser. He'll give you his 0.02 If you live close to Hbg, you are welcome to cast some of the stuff I have to see if that helps you figure out what you need. I've only got up to 6wt though. I got a rod for the Salmon River off of ebay for 26.00 Wasn't sure if I'd ever go back and didn't want to break one of my good rods. It worked great! PM me if you want to chat further or try one of my rods.

I'd recommend a 9' for a 7WT. By going with a 9' rather than 10' you'll likely find more rods in your price range.

Fish, is that "the ditch" as your avatar?

Cabelas has their Traditional II rod on sale for $69. The 7 weight is 9 and a half feet long. This seems to suit your needs.

I have a 9' 8wt TFO TICR rod and use it specifically for steelhead and bass. It casts like a cannon and I can muscle around the steelhead. I absolutly love it. It's a pretty fast action but performs beautifully. TFO has a lifetime warranty and their service is great. An 8wt is a bit heavy for steelhead but a 7wt might be right up your alley.

ry,

Isn't that rod around the $200 price point though or am I thinking of the TiCRX?

I appreciate all the advice guys. I'm going to head over to Bass Pro this weekend sometime and see what they have. I'm also going to keep the other suggestions in mind as well. That cabela's rod is sounding kind of tempting, I'd just like to be able to play with it a little before I buy it.

Back