Spring assist locking knife

S

springer1

I don't carry a firearm here in SEPA even thou I could, but do like a decent knife as I've had "events" with nasty dogs.

Anyways, I found out about this type of knife and replaced the "regular" lock-back I carry.

I keep it in a sheath fastened on my left suspender - it's out and open in 2 seconds; just a press of a forefinger and it swings open with no fumbling around.

I know switchblades are illegal but these are fine; I guess the mechanism design makes them different and OK legally.

Just though I'd pass it on.

Get youself a little pocket pistol (insert joke here) they shoot further than a knife and weigh about the same. Can get bird shot loads for snakes dogs etc. and do more to deter the bad guys. Caryy all the time as part of my fishing gear.

If the blade moves because of your finger, that's fine.

If the blade moves because your finger activates a spring, that's not fine.

The common Ken Onion designs used by Kershaw are 100% legal.
http://www.thekershawstore.com/Kershaw-SpeedSafe-Knives-s/5.htm

The designs such as those used by ProTech in their TR series is illegal to carry, but legal to collect.
http://www.protechknives.com/knives/switchblades/tactical-response-2-knives.asp

The difference being in the Onion, your finger moves the blade and the cam assists it in popping open. In the ProTech, your finger pushes a button which frees the cam to operate on its own.

This applies to PA only. Other states have different laws.

Other options are gravity assist or flick knives where you press a release and then use your arm to flip the blade out.

If you choose to buy one, adjust teh clip so that you can draw and open in one movement, and pin the "safety" open.

If you're really afraid of dogs, buy pepper spray. If dogs are a euphanism for people, buy a gun, or pepper spray.

SOG Flash II is a fine knife. I have a Ken Onion knife, but prefer the SOG

Both SOG and Kershaw are fine blades. The Kershaw seems to sharpen more easily for me but I have them both. Guys who knwo the most about knives(not me) seem to sharpen them often.

I have the Kershaw scallion. Very hard steel and holds a nice edge. But the blade is thin. This is not a knife that should be used to pry, or be abused. The SOG can take more punishment.

All good suggestions above. I'll add that I have a soft spot for Benchmade knives. They have a spring assist opener and I like their Axis locking mechanism as opposed to a liner lock. Griptillians are good utility knives.

I have a soft spot for lock-blades that take an edge quickly. They're easy to touch-up and how often do you need an edge to last for a millenium.

I think most of the ceramic/"hard as diamond" knives are sold to people who never sharpen them.

http://www.midwayusa.com/technicalNotes/application_pages/knife_steel_and_handle_material_chart.htm

is there any size requirements on knifes? I have heard that if its the size of your palm it ok but is that really true. I to like to carry a knife when I fish in some areas of the city of brotherly love and have had an encounter where I was held up by what I assumed was a homeless guy. another angler helped me out by standing up for me. that being said I now carry a large knife with me it about 8 inches but the blade is 5. large knife no spring. its not concealed nor. I keep it in a sheath on my belt.

sometimes I feel a little like crocodile Dundee. haha

I know of no restrictions on blade length. Phila has many of it's own laws though so if you are there it could be a problem.

my wife was told on her self defense course to carry wasp spray.

spray in the face and they are temporarily blinded and need a medical eye wash. after the wash their sight returns in about 30 minutes.

the small cans have a range of about 10-12 feet.

cheaper than pepper spray.

Isn't it absurd that spring loaded knives are illegal in PA? Next thing you know the will ban corner doo-wop groups from corners citing they are gangs. switchbladeslol.

If I were not going to carry a gun, I agree that the various sprays would be the way to go. When an assailant is within stabbing distance, they are way too close to begin with imo.

Both SOG and Kershaw are fine blades. The Kershaw seems to sharpen more easily for me but I have them both. Guys who knwo the most about knives(not me) seem to sharpen them often.

I can tell you that Kershaw uses multiple blade steels, as do most knife companies.

Someone mentioned a Kershaw Scallion, I believe, which uses 420HC. This is a "medium" grade steel. Very common, not anything special, but a pretty decent blade steel. Certainly a fair step up from the $30 kitchen knife sets and so forth (those are usually 440A or 440B). Buck knives use an awful lot 420HC. It's kind of a standard in the "nice, but not super" blade steel market. It's not top of the line, but put that steel on an otherwise well designed knife, and it'll do everything 95% of the population ever needs from their knives, and do it well.

The ability to sharpen a knife to "scary" sharp has more to do with the processing of the steel, rather than the chemistry of the steel itself. The really high end steels are often made via powder metallurgy. My company (branded CTS for knife steels) makes a few grades via powder (examples are CTS-20CP, CTS-XHP). Crucible (CPM) is a big player. CPM-S30V is a popular one, and CPM-S90V is a step above in performance (and a step below in how easy it is to work with for the knife maker).

There is generally an inverse relationship between the ability to hold an edge, and how easy it is to sharpen. It's not a perfect correlation, though, it is possible for a really good steel to buck the trend and hold and edge well AND be able to be sharpened relatively easily. But overall, it's a trade off. Higher carbon, and especially vanadium, lead to better edge holding ability. But to get that, you lose something in toughness (easier to break the blade), it's harder to sharpen, and likely less stainless as well.

And then there are "working edge" vs. scary sharp edges. What you call "sharp" very much depends your definition of "sharp." Are you satisfied if it can gut a deer well enough? Or do you want to whittle hair? But there are blades which lose the scary sharp edge quickly, but hold a good working edge for a long time. Others hold a scary sharp edge for longer, but once they start dulling they get dull real quick. This kind of thing has more to do with the blade profile than the steel itself. So it's well out of my realm of expertise, I'm not a knife maker.

And regarding the laws, statewide it is illegal to carry any knife that is "assisted opening". They define it as switch, push button, spring mechanism, or OTHER mechanism.

There was a case on gravity assist knives, which were deemed legal. There is no "limit" on blade length, but the knife has to have a "lawful purpose" (other than as an offensive weapon) and there have been cases where people have been charged for carrying huge blades that were deemed to have "no lawful purpose."

Also illegal to carry sandbags or stun guns in PA.

Further, those are STATE laws. Counties and municipalities often have their own, more restrictive, laws. For instance, in Philadelphia, it is illegal to carry a knife PERIOD, even a tiny little pocket knife or multi-tool. There is supposedly an exception for those that have to carry them for work purposes, but there's nothing in place to prove or disprove you have it for work purposes. So likely to be a high degree of discretion used by law enforcement and the legal world on this.

As many say, if protection is the purpose, the legalities are such that it is far easier to carry a gun than a knife. Of course, a knife has so many other purposes beyond protection.

And regarding the laws, statewide it is illegal to carry any knife that is "assisted opening". They define it as switch, push button, spring mechanism, or OTHER mechanism.
Sheeeezz ...... thanks for the heads up. I guess it's illegal for me to be carrying this. What's sad is that it's so conveniently easy to open, I've gotten really used to it. ^&*()}+$#

I'm glad I posted this and found out.

Below is the wording of the law. There is a lot of discussion on whether balisong's and butterfly knives are legal. The consensus seems to be YES, but I've seen nothing official, nor am I a lawyer, so.... The best I can do is give you the law:

18 Pa.C.S. § 908: Prohibited offensive weapons
(a) Offense defined.--A person commits a misdemeanor of the first degree if, except as authorized by law, he makes repairs, sells, or otherwise deals in, uses, or possesses any offensive weapon.

(b) Exceptions.--
(1) It is a defense under this section for the defendant to prove by a preponderance of evidence that he possessed or dealt with the weapon solely as a curio or in a dramatic performance, or that, with the exception of a bomb, grenade or incendiary device, he complied with the National Firearms Act (26 U.S.C. § 5801 et seq.), or that he possessed it briefly in consequence of having found it or taken it from an aggressor, or under circumstances similarly negativing any intent or likelihood that the weapon would be used unlawfully.

(2) This section does not apply to police forensic firearms experts or police forensic firearms laboratories. Also exempt from this section are forensic firearms experts or forensic firearms laboratories operating in the ordinary course of business and engaged in lawful operation who notify in writing, on an annual basis, the chief or head of any police force or police department of a city, and, elsewhere, the sheriff of a county in which they are located, of the possession, type and use of offensive weapons.

(3) This section shall not apply to any person who makes, repairs, sells or otherwise deals in, uses or possesses any firearm for purposes not prohibited by the laws of this Commonwealth.
(c) Definitions.--As used in this section, the following words and phrases shall have the meanings given to them in this subsection:

"Firearm."
Any weapon which is designed to or may readily be converted to expel any projectile by the action of an explosive or the frame or receiver of any such weapon.

"Offensive weapons." Any bomb, grenade, machine gun, sawed-off shotgun with a barrel less than 18 inches, firearm specially made or specially adapted for concealment or silent discharge, any blackjack, sandbag, metal knuckles, dagger, knife, razor or cutting instrument, the blade of which is exposed in an automatic way by switch, push-button, spring mechanism, or otherwise, any stun gun, stun baton, taser or other electronic or electric weapon or other implement for the infliction of serious bodily injury which serves no common lawful purpose.

(d) Exemptions.--The use and possession of blackjacks by the following persons in the course of their duties are exempt from this section:
(1) Police officers, as defined by and who meet the requirements of the act of June 18, 1974 (P.L. 359, No. 120), referred to as the Municipal Police Education and Training Law. [FN1]
(2) Police officers of first class cities who have successfully completed training which is substantially equivalent to the program under the Municipal Police Education and Training Law.
(3) Pennsylvania State Police officers.
(4) Sheriffs and deputy sheriffs of the various counties who have satisfactorily met the requirements of the Municipal Police Education and Training Law.
(5) Police officers employed by the Commonwealth who have satisfactorily met the requirements of the Municipal Police Education and Training Law.
(6) Deputy sheriffs with adequate training as determined by the Pennsylvania Commission on Crime and Delinquency.
(7) Liquor Control Board agents who have satisfactorily met the requirements of the Municipal Police Education and Training Law.

pcray1231 wrote:

Incorrect, and alreayd answered earlier.

If the sping is actuated by a switch, it is illegal. If the spring simply helps augment your finger, its legal.

Ergo, the Ken Onion style is AOK, your finger is what actually moves the blade. A true switchblade is operated by using your finger to acuate teh switch which then propels the blade out of the handle.

If your finger does the actual work, even if its "spring assisted," it meets the letter of the law.

Please do not muddy the waters on this one.

Geebee, I've never hard of it happening, but if you read just about any aerosol can you'll notice a part that mentions its a violation of federal law to use that product in a way its not intended to be used. It would really suck to just be trying to protect yourself and end up getting charged. And the way things are going today, logic isn't law enforcements strongest point. At the very least, you could end up on the wrong side of a civil lawsuit.

I would look into a can of OC pepper spray. Close quarters combat with a dog doesn't work or sound fun. OC will definately dissuade them from bothering you.

Back