Something better than a vest?

T

troutwilleatflies

My vest is about shot and need to replace it.Now that I'm in my olden golden years looking to get the weight off my shoulders and back.What's a good solution?

Fishpond makes some nice fanny pack style packs that look like good products. Though, if weight is an issue, you may want to take a hard look at what you are carrying around everytime you go out. I find that alot of stuff is seldom used and I can decide if I need it for the day or not and leave it home or in the car. An Orvis sling pack is more than enough for what I need to carry in a typical day's fishing.

Kev

some of the newer chest packs aren't bad, how much weight are you carrying around?

Sling packs definitely keep the pull of the weight off your shoulders, and I use one for most of my fishing. If you like to carry more gear, or for a day long hike/bike/fish type of trip IMO you still can't beat a small hiking backback with straps in front to distribute some weight across your hips.

I agree that for a given amount of weight/gear, vests are the least comfortable option. I've tried chest packs and found that they too pulled on your neck/shoulder area, although less so than a vest...I'd still end up just converting it to a sling pack by the end of the day though.

I did away with my vest and it's the best thing I ever did. Went to a chest box. I have a Richardson, which is very nice. The Downs box is very nice as well. They are both far lighter than you anticipate before picking one up for the first time. You can set up the inside how you want, I put C&F slit foam throughout, but you can do compartments or whatever. They can hold a LOT of flies when set up correctly, each tray you use the floor and the lid, probably the equivalent of 2 1/2 fly boxes per tray.

Still, ridding the vest required some lightening up. Not on flies, but on other accumulated junk in a vest. I carry hemos and nippers on zingers attached to the straps. License also attached to strap. I throw a few tippet spools and car keys in my waders pouch. That's about all I carry.

Richardson advantages: IMO, nicer looking. Aluminum > plastic in terms of longevity and quality. Perhaps slightly better set up as far as floatant holders, personalization, etc.

Downs advantages: Cheaper. Ability to add and remove trays is very useful.

All in all they're pretty similar, and both are made in PA.

I know they didn't come on the scene until Lee Wulff but there is just something wrong about fishing without a vest (or hat). My neck and shoulders do pay the price I admit. If someone would build a lightweight frame that acts like a wearable coat hanger I would buy it. Surely this is not too much to ask.

DGC wrote:
I know they didn't come on the scene until Lee Wulff but there is just something wrong about fishing without a vest (or hat).

Nah, then you just look like all the goofy noobs.

The William Joseph Confluence chest pack is treating me pretty well. Two main boxes up front, three other boxes in back. I did have to cut back a little with things that I carry, but my shoulders aren't killing me anymore after a long day of fishing. I think it's because the pack is much higher than my previous vest/pack.

I made the switch from a vest to an Orvis sling pack. Probably one of my better fly fishing investments. No more fatigued back at the end of the day. Plenty of space to carry two fly boxes, 20oz water, 2 clif bars, sunglasses, and all the terminal tackle I'd need.

Confluence, but I am interested in trying out a sling at some point.

I have yet to use an Orvis sling pack I picked up at the outlet in Lancaster with my coupon from the ff show. Planning to use it for smallmouth. It does seem to be comfortable and sit nice on my shoulder. I think I'll like it and may eventually transition it to trout fishing. My problem is when I need to pack a rain jacket, something to eat and maybe even a hat and gloves in cold weather. Not always fishing close to the car. I'm still using a fishpond vest that I like but it doesn't have enough room for cargo in the back when I need it. What do you guys with chest packs do when you have an in between day where you may need to shed some clothes or carry a rain jacket? I have an older Willie J chest pack I've used for steelhead but because it's usually cold I'm already wearing jacket, gloves, etc.

DGC wrote:
I know they didn't come on the scene until Lee Wulff but there is just something wrong about fishing without a vest (or hat). My neck and shoulders do pay the price I admit. If someone would build a lightweight frame that acts like a wearable coat hanger I would buy it. Surely this is not too much to ask.

Well dang, I'm doing this fly fishing stuff all wrong. Havent owned a vest in about 8 years and wear a hat about 10% of the time.

I went from vest to chest pack to chestpack/backpack to fanny pack to fishing shirt/backpack.

With the pockets on my waders and a fishing shirt I can carry fly boxes and tippets, lunch, extra clothes, extra fly boxes go in the backpack if they are needed.

Keep the ideas coming guys,I appreciate all views and ideas.
I have been using a vest for maybe 50 yrs,can't remember not wearing one and I'm very set in my ways with it.That will be the hardest part with a change,how to stow the stuff and know where it is when I need it.But change I must as it is getting too tiring in my "golden" years.Someone said maybe I carry too much unneeded weight and that is something I must look at first,then go from there.
Again thanks to all for all views and ideas!

Crotalus wrote:
wear a hat about 10% of the time.

When that ELISA test comes back pos, you'll wonder if wearing a hat would've been the answer.

Taste the burn of Curie.

Attachments

• curie-sm (1).JPG
    curie-sm (1).JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 4
the problem with any pack is that you can put it down....

if i'm fishing light i prefer a fishing shirt and kit down the waders front, for a full day nothing beats the vest imho - i have a shakespeare one that converts into a chest 'shorty' for deep wading or warm weather.

loose, it can also go over a ski jacket for those balmy january and february days on wild trout streams.

most seasons it just hangs on the back of the door just waiting for a fly box or two, ready to go.

gfen wrote:
Crotalus wrote:
wear a hat about 10% of the time.

When that ELISA test comes back pos, you'll wonder if wearing a hat would've been the answer.

I was speaking hat in the strictest of terms, I am definitely not a ball cap guy, I have a Tilley for use in direct sun when there is a chance for a burn. usually have a buff on as a bandana in the kayak (along with a second one to cover neck, chin, cheeks, ears if needed) . The 10% number would be overall in everyday life, when fishing it is closer to 50% with a hat and 95% with some type of head covering.

I am comfortable with my choices.

Just got this sling pack and couldn't be happier with it.
http://vedavoo.com/shopping/tightlines-sling-pack/

I use a mountain smith lumbar pack. I mainly use it as a sling with the belt tucked away. I use the belt when I switch from fishing to hiking for support.

Best thing is there's plenty of room for food, drinks, stow away rain jacket and whatever else.

Back