Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: So I was brainstorming last night... BAMBOO!

From Souderton PA
Quote:

Rolf wrote:
Thanks Mike but it's already on its way to DJ.

Great! He should be happy with it!
Thanks,
Mike.

Posted on: 2013/1/16 20:54

From Berryville Virginia
For me, I would attempt to use a spliced joint for Spey rod tapers in the 15’ to 18’ rod length because at that length they would be normally 3 piece rods and the butt section ferrule probably would have to be custom made. While I did recently purchase a metal lathe to hopefully one day make my own ferrules that is a few years out. However, ferrules sizes from 8 to 18 are not that expensive and you can find a good set of nickel silver ferrules for about 25 bucks. Now if the objective is to make rods as inexpensive as possible for you smaller tapers I would make them with bamboo ferrules. While I have casted both spliced joint and bamboo ferrule rods in a lot of different lengths and line weights and like them I just prefer ferrules. I also like agate stripper guides but not all of my rods have them.

While I hand bind my quads, I still run them through a corded pressure binder with weight to keep the strips tight while wrapping them with string to keep them tightly bound during the drying process. Not to say you can’t keep them tight totally by hand. If you have a copy of Claude Kreider’s book the bamboo fly rod. They have a picture of a pressure winding machine made out wood.

Posted on: 2013/1/17 8:35

From Southwestern NY
Rolf i owe you a huge apology, finally made it to the post office this week, your money is in the mail, and you will have a gift box coming sometime after the first of the month. work has gone nuts all summer rentals were super slow, now that my biggest contender is almost if not completely full( have some very nice lake front apartments, but it's pretty hard to compete with absolutely brand new apartments, top to bottom), the rental market that i am used to has swang back my way. harder than i was expecting, i'm looking at 7 move ins for feb 1st, and have been running like a mad man! from easy move out, minimal cleaning, move the next one in, to a 95 year old tenant's dr just told her she had to go to assisted living, of which nothing in her apartment was ever updated in the last 40 years! so it's gonna be brand new practically everything, and of course a couple from buffalo want it next wednesday! luckily my carpet guys can be here monday, the new kitchen counter tops will be here tues/wed, and hoping the new apliances get here in that time frame... so i have the from now till then to get everything else taken care of! plus the other work and now a hud inspection next tuesday(mainly throwing a few gfci's on place a carbon monoxide detector and check a few hings)! i really do love my job but resurrecting another companies abortion can be hell at times! though the pay is good and a free lake front apartment with heat included isn't bad either.

so with all that being said, Rolf i'm sorry for the delay on my end.

and on the good part, this will keep me busy while i wait for that damn spindle shaft for the drill press to get here. then i can take a few days and really focus on the bamboo rod side of things!

joeE- yeah the spliced ferrules desire is based on cheapness and listening to bob clay on some vid i watched a while ago. and haven't found much on properly making bamboo ferrules, still looking when i have time to look...

and as for a binder i'm still kicking that around, but will most likely build one.

i donno i'm gonna go eat dinner and get back to that damn apartment...

Posted on: 2013/1/17 18:46

From Bucks County
DJ, I told you in the beginning.......... NO HURRY! Relax....... :)

Posted on: 2013/1/17 20:04

From Southwestern NY
well as life goes you have plans, life will rearrange them for you like it or not, have not even put the new drill shaft in yet, life has just had e by the gonads. went from having 9 vacant to having a full house in a month n a half!

but all that has had a hell of a tole on the persona life and goals. now that all that is settled, go the tax return and now it's time to find/buy a new mommy/ family mobile(should have that done this weekend though. really would like to get out n fish a bit, but that's not looking likely...soon enough, soon enough.

Posted on: 2013/2/15 8:12

From Southwestern NY
well after a nice long hiatus the bamboo came back to my mind last night, finally got the drill press back together. 3 hrs last night, and 4 more tonight the holes are all drilled n the forms, 6 stations are tapped and i'm beat. some time here i'll get some cell pics of the progress up.

Posted on: 2013/6/8 0:13

From SE Pa
Quote:
The ferrule weight does contribute to stress and alters the action of the rod, so I think it is important to get a feel for that when starting out

+1 on that.

I built a 7'6" 2-2 Payne 100 from an Anglers Roost blank and like it a lot. After fishing with it a bit I no longer baby it at all, I use it like one of my fiberglass rods.

The first thing I did was build a wood case to keep the rod in - it allowed safe & straight storage of the blank pieces while the build was in progress (& after). Lined it with felt cloth.

But lapping the German Silver ferrules was a serious job that I did not enjoy at all. Nope, not a bit. When I build my next bamboo, I'm just going to use the cheaper chrome plated ferrules - not just because they are already fitted (so they claim), but because they seem lighter.

I really enjoy the Payne, but really wouldn't think of a bamboo rod any longer than it's 7'6" because of the weight factor; ferrule weight is definitely something to consider.

Posted on: 2013/6/8 9:48

From Souderton PA
Looking forward to those pics DJ! I have to blow the dust off the forms myself and get to work on a rod I've been designing.
It's great to see so many cane rod makers (aspiring and established) on the forum. We really have to consider some sort of get together some day (winter rod maker/builder jam?).
Is anyone planning on going to the Catskill bamboo makers gathering in September?
Mike.

Posted on: 2013/6/8 11:28

From Southwestern NY
the book that kicked me back into gear, given to me by my buddy that we will also be building drift boats with. so hopefully by next fall we will be floating and fishing in all self made gear.

Resized Image
Untitled by dj.berg, on Flickr

88 holes drilled for 22 stations total, 3/4"x3/4" hot rolled steel.

Resized Image

44 holes tapped 10-32 with 3/16" guide pins.

Resized Image

forms roughed in from stock by a 40 grit sanding wheel.

Resized Image

forms finished with a 12" bastard file.

Resized Image

next stop, making the triangle file guide and spacing the forms to be filed, then file in the bevel.

Things yet to make before the first rod:

Oven, and binder.

things yet to acquire:

better quality pair of calipers, dial indicator and base, good planing block with an adjustable mouth.

Posted on: 2013/6/8 15:32

From SE Pa
Seriously impressive !

Posted on: 2013/6/8 17:35

From Southwestern NY
so everything is back to a halt as i am all set up to start the beveling process, i have some how misplaced my calipers. so now i need to locate those, last i remember using them i was seeing the variance between an aqua stat probe and the well it was "supposed" to work with.... and that was a month and a half ago.

Quote:
We really have to consider some sort of get together some day (winter rod maker/builder jam?). Is anyone planning on going to the Catskill bamboo makers gathering in September?

i would be all about a jam, heck even if anyone interested wanted to meet up and have a field trip to the fly fishing museum(isn't that in central pa some where). and as for the bamboo makers gathering i'd love to go but no clue if i can swing it. rith now my only planned gathering i'm going to is spey nation in july.

Posted on: 2013/6/9 9:05

From Berryville Virginia
Forms are looking good. When I started my bamboo rod making quest back in 94, I didn’t have the patience to make my own forms, I was in a hurry. I did make the oven and binder and later made a beveller. I purchase my hex forms for $325 and later a set of Quad forms for $350. If you can't find them let me know I have a few calipers laying around that you can barrow until you find yours.

Joe E

Posted on: 2013/6/10 12:28

From Southwestern NY
thanks for the offer joe, either i'll find them or borrow some from someone around me, or just man up and buy them again in a quality pair and the dial indicator/base as well. mine were the cheap acid rod version only took three measurements to get the accurate one by the common reading lol.

and as for the home made forms it's not a matter of time more of budget, and i also love a mechanical challenge as well.

Posted on: 2013/6/10 13:22

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com