Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: So I was brainstorming last night... BAMBOO!

From Souderton PA
Quote:

DJBerg wrote:

the penrose site was what got my brain turning on making forms and a basic tutorial on you tube hooked me on the bamboo building part. my only question is, the guy on the youtube vid had a piece of extruded aluminum in the shape of an astrix(pretty much a piece of aluminum that would fit in the middle of a hex rod) that he did his first heat treat with. took the roughed in strips and bound them in to the grooves and used that as a heat treat straightener. pretty cool stuff, and of course once my brain saw the basics, it was on i had to see if i could build one...

They are called M-D fixtures and are supposed to keep the heat more uniform during the heat treat process. You don't actually need them, but there are guys that swear by them. Harry Boyd is the only person I know of that sells them.
Quote:

DJBerg wrote:
Try ( A Master's Guide to Building A Bamboo Fly Rod) by Everertt Garrison With Hoagy B. Carmichael on Amazon for $25. I'm reading a copy of it now to under stand what goes in to building it from start to finish, so I can build one the right way using a bamboo blank. Hope this helps. Mike

yeah i went to the local library system looking to see if there was any books available, of course not. so i'll have to do some looking around.

The Garrison book is fantastic, but it is very detailed, very very engineering oriented, and some would argue a bit dated. You are going to eventually want a copy if you get serious, but as a basic beginners guide, you can't beat the late George Maurer's book

I recommend a class if you can swing it. There are a lot of good classes, several held in PA, where you make a cane rod for less than you would spend buying one and you get hands on experience before investing in the tools. I took one up in Maine 2 years ago and have been hooked ever since. I am now in the process of setting up a shop and still have to tackle a dip tube and oven, but otherwise all is go. If any of you that are interested in getting into this ever want to chat or bounce ideas around let me know. It's always good to have friends that share an addiction.
Mike.

Posted on: 2012/12/19 23:18

From Southwestern NY
thanks mike, that's some very important questions answered!

Posted on: 2012/12/20 7:47

From Southwestern NY
Wohoo! Merry xmas to me!!!! The father inlaw went a bit over board but I now own 12 6' clums of tonkin cain!!! Forms are started at home, and still gotta build an oven, but its getti g to be bamboo building time!!!!

Posted on: 2012/12/25 8:30

From Southwestern NY
well, a small update, have my home made forms all ready to drill and tap. got to my buddies, got all set up, finally put my first drill in the chuck, turn on the power... and the bit is swinging back and forth like a cows udders in the wind! google possible issues, seems the chuck heads are only pressed on, so i grab the dead blow and a punch. knock the head back off go to find a solid piece of block to re press the chuck on. and hear the machine turn on, and my buddy say " nope it's definitely the shaft that's bent!" DAMN IT! so now i wait for a new shaft to come in the mail... again the project is on pause, though i am going to start the oven project while waiting.

Posted on: 2013/1/8 8:16

Quote:

FrequentTyer wrote:
[quote]

I am now in the process of setting up a shop and still have to tackle a dip tube and oven, but otherwise all is go. If any of you that are interested in getting into this ever want to chat or bounce ideas around let me know. It's always good to have friends that share an addiction.
Mike.

I always thought a dip tube was used for something else.......

Posted on: 2013/1/9 0:52

From Marietta, PA
Awesome updates!!!! Good-luck with the project, DJBerg!!!!

Posted on: 2013/1/9 18:05

From Berryville Virginia
DJBerg,

You will have a lot of fun. What kind of oven are you building a heat gun or ?. I built a 6' oven years ago like the one in Wayne's book and a binder like Garrison's. I have a make shift extender for the oven when I'm building longer one piece rods. Are you making a binder or going to try and hand bind? I bind my Quads by hand but use the binder on all of my Hex rods. Plane blades and scraper are going to set you back a few dollars so be prepared. They both payoff in the long run. I have high ceilings and stairwell in the house and have plenty of room to dip 7' one piece rods so I have not put my dip tube in the floor. I just use a PVC tube mounted to the stairwell. It took me almost a year before I finished my first rod when i decided to make the plunge.

Joe E

Posted on: 2013/1/11 12:37

From Souderton PA
Quote:

outsider wrote:
Quote:

FrequentTyer wrote:
[quote]

I am now in the process of setting up a shop and still have to tackle a dip tube and oven, but otherwise all is go. If any of you that are interested in getting into this ever want to chat or bounce ideas around let me know. It's always good to have friends that share an addiction.
Mike.

I always thought a dip tube was used for something else.......

I'm afraid to ask.

Posted on: 2013/1/11 21:14

From Souderton PA
Quote:

DJBerg wrote:
well, a small update, have my home made forms all ready to drill and tap. got to my buddies, got all set up, finally put my first drill in the chuck, turn on the power... and the bit is swinging back and forth like a cows udders in the wind! google possible issues, seems the chuck heads are only pressed on, so i grab the dead blow and a punch. knock the head back off go to find a solid piece of block to re press the chuck on. and hear the machine turn on, and my buddy say " nope it's definitely the shaft that's bent!" DAMN IT! so now i wait for a new shaft to come in the mail... again the project is on pause, though i am going to start the oven project while waiting.

Well, at least you get to put off the filing for a while!
Are you going to also make a set of wooden roughing forms, or just try to get by with the metal forms?
Mike.

Posted on: 2013/1/11 21:17

From Berryville Virginia
Mike good point.

DJBerg, I made a set of wooden roughing forms a long time ago then purchased a set of metal roughing forms for my Hex rods, then I built myself a Medved Style router beveler for my hex and quads. I only pull out the beveler if I'm going to run a lot of strips and will use my quad forms for roughing. They are simple to make but if I can find my wooden ones you can have them if you want.

Joe E

Posted on: 2013/1/12 8:37

From Southwestern NY
Mike- not 100% on which way i'm gonna go with the dip or turkey baster, still got some time with that one.

As for the filing, i'd rather have the blisters, and back ache than this impatient waiting on the company to take their 7-8 days handling time and then shipping via the usps, I HATE WAITING ON MAIL ORDER GOODIES, way too impatient on that one.

Unforgiven- thanks yeah maybe i'll start photo documenting this stuff, maybe, when i get started pics are the last thing on my mind and when i'm done for the day i usually gotta get to something the mrs wants done...

Joe E-Oven is gonna be a modified version of the basic heat gun, using my plastic welder(glorified heat gun with better heat control, and a blower that's not in the body of the heating element), using the plastic welder as a heat source, and some kind of a inline power controller thermostat, and thinking a tapered isolation and prob gonna be 8' long, since my diy forms are 9' this way when i get to spey/switch i can make 2 piece rods.

rough in's will be easy, and thanks for the offer if you were closer i would totally take you up on them. but i have a friend that is a ridiculously awesome finish carpenter. he and i should be able to put a decent angle in some hard wood, thinking 3 or 4 grooves for different rods.

binder is still up in the air, definitely want one but when i attempted to bind my south bend repair, just using my tying bobbin worked out well, so i'll prob stick to that unless i run into another issue, and have a "break" in production time.

another one is epoxy, i have read of guys using tight bond III and that is what i used on my south bend repair, worked great other than the set up time was super quick. another option i have is i know two guys who own a snowboard manufacturing company, so i want to go steal some of their two part epoxy as well and give that a whirl. but might end up using the epoxy from that recurve bow building site, they are also very well spoken for.

yeah that's about it i think thanks again for the info, and offers.
DJ

Posted on: 2013/1/12 9:23

From Southwestern NY
also one other one, taped splice joints or ferrels? leaning toward taped, but what's your thoughts?

Posted on: 2013/1/12 9:25

From Bucks County
DJBerg, I recently picked up a box of “fly tying stuff” off of Craigslist. In it was an old Herters No. 29 thread tensioner for rod wrapping. It’s yours if you want it, just pay the postage. PM me your address if you’re interested.

Posted on: 2013/1/12 11:17

From Souderton PA
DJ, The spliced joints work and a lot of guys use them, but personally I would go with ferrules. You can get cheap ones on ebay that can be used for prototyping or for your first few while you working out the process. The ferrule weight does contribute to stress and alters the action of the rod, so I think it is important to get a feel for that when starting out
Rolf, those Herter's tensioners are great. I built a fancy wrapping station for my first few rods, but I now use the Herter's for everything. If DJ doesn't take you up on that offer and you are still looking to get rid of it I would be happy to make an offer to buy.
Mike.

Posted on: 2013/1/15 21:18

From Bucks County
Thanks Mike but it's already on its way to DJ.

Posted on: 2013/1/16 6:10

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Goal during a day on the water....
Catching a single fish makes me happy 19% (18)
I want to catch every fish in the stream 4% (4)
50 dinks is a dream day 2% (2)
Only want to catch big fish 9% (9)
Catching the toughest fish in the steam is my goal 4% (4)
Beautiful place, hit the hatch and whatever happens, happens 29% (27)
Who cares? It beats work. 31% (29)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/11/27 22:13
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com