Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Snake guides or Single Foot Guides?

Anyone interested in forming a 'snake guide only' club or maybe a possie to run all them single foot guys off the streams?

Posted on: 2010/5/25 17:09

From Bozeman
My new rod will have single foot guides. I have never fished with them before, but I am curious.

Posted on: 2010/5/25 23:16

Don't do it!!! You're drinking their kool-aid. You could alternate them and get the best of both worlds. The only rod I had w/ single footers was a St Croix. Maybe it was the crappy Air Flo line or just my imagination. Didn't care for them and got rid of a perfectly good / sweet casting rod. I still have the line though. Make sense outta that!

Posted on: 2010/5/26 1:25

From Chester County
Quote:

jayL wrote:
My new rod will have single foot guides. I have never fished with them before, but I am curious.

Quote:

sight_nymph wrote:
Don't do it!!! You're drinking their kool-aid. You could alternate them and get the best of both worlds. The only rod I had w/ single footers was a St Croix. Maybe it was the crappy Air Flo line or just my imagination. Didn't care for them and got rid of a perfectly good / sweet casting rod. I still have the line though. Make sense outta that!

LOL....of the 4 trout rods I use most frequently, 2 have snakes and 2 have single foots. I really see no difference one way or the other.

Posted on: 2010/5/26 7:26

SSSS nake.

They both freeze up. Okay- snakes get one or two more casts.

Posted on: 2010/5/26 8:40

From either at the tying desk or on the river
That is one nice wrap job.

Posted on: 2010/6/4 10:30

From Suburban Pittsburgh
I don't have a preference on snake vs. single foot. With that said, most of my rods have snake guides. As long as the rod is designed with the components in mind, and performance is not affected, it doesn't make a difference to me. If the right number of guides are on the rod, spacing on them is good then I haven't found much of a difference between them.

I have a cheapie 7ft 4wt Browning Rod that I still enjoy casting from time to time but have found that my line is more likely to tangle on that one if I'm not careful. There are too few guides on it IMHO and they're spaced out too far.

I'm no rod builder, just basing my opinion on experience with the rods I own.

Posted on: 2010/6/4 11:21

jaybo41,
You are right on with the first consideration being getting the right number of guides. This is the most important thing. Assuming you got that part right, the type of guide really does mak a difference. There is nothing that offers better performance than single foot ceramic ring guides. They are noticeable slicker than any type of wire guides. The single wrap also keeps weight down giving you the best (IMHO) performance although the least traditional look. Here is a spey rod built with these guides. This rod was built for Dennis Vidmar, the creater of the woven cadis fly pattern featured in fly fisherman magazine last year. Try it. You'll like it!

Attach file:

jpg  DSC_002600181.JPG (56.89 KB)
749_4c09cf9401025.jpg 680X1024 px

Posted on: 2010/6/5 0:19

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com