Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Snake boots

I know rattler bites are pretty rare in PA, but after a close encounter with a large timber, they are always in the front of my mind when brookie fishing miles from the car. I always pay close attention to where I step but most times theirs no other way to approach a hole without slogging though heavy thick grass or ferns where you cant see the ground. I feel I have been tempting faith for a while. Do any of you hard core brookie fisherman wear snake boots or snake chaps? Or are you confident hip waders are sufficient protection. If so ,what brands are most comfortable.

Posted on: 2013/9/3 11:47

Re: Snake boots

I don't have any snake chaps for fishing, but I always wear them for work.

I need to get another pair for fishing, because I know breathable waders or muck boots ain't stopping a rattler's fangs.

Posted on: 2013/9/3 13:37
"I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach

Carry a hiking/wading staff and probe the brush in front of you. I also carry a small revolver with shot shells - an effective snake repellent.

Posted on: 2013/9/4 23:00

From Ohio
Quote:
Carry a hiking/wading staff and probe the brush in front of you.

Good advice here.

Posted on: 2013/9/5 7:54

From Clearfield County
Quote:

Twofly wrote:
I know rattler bites are pretty rare in PA, but after a close encounter with a large timber, they are always in the front of my mind when brookie fishing miles from the car. I always pay close attention to where I step but most times theirs no other way to approach a hole without slogging though heavy thick grass or ferns where you cant see the ground. I feel I have been tempting faith for a while. Do any of you hard core brookie fisherman wear snake boots or snake chaps? Or are you confident hip waders are sufficient protection. If so ,what brands are most comfortable.

I hear ya. Ive been going in shorts and Tevas all summer. I get myself worked up about snakes sometimes in the ground cover as you described. Most of the time I dont even think about them.

Posted on: 2013/9/15 12:20

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com