Smallmouth rod ?

ratgunner

ratgunner

Was looking at some 6wt. 9' rods today. TFO TCiR and the Cabela's HDT. I got a Reddington RF2 9' 8wt. but it wears me out pretty quick.After reading the 5wt Shootout article I think the swing weight is wahts wearing me out so soon.Wondering if a better 8wt. would be a good idea since I have line and a reel for it. Or is the 6wt. a better choice ? Any suggestions ?

Mostly fish for smallies in the Schuylkill river and Swatara.

Most of the 6 wts don't have a fighing butt, but the seven's do. If you feel you can get away with a 6, I'd opt for that... typically a good bit lighter and easier on the arm. If you're throwing big wind resistant flies for them, you'd likely want something bigger. Since you have an 8, I'd go with a 6...

Don't count out a switch either. It's great for dead drifting and can get a fly out there with little or no back cast.

I think a 6wt would be a good choice. 8wt is a little too much rod for smallies IMO. When I go out for smallie, I bring my 6wt and generally do very well with it. On that note, I have a TFO TCiRx 8wt and really like it. So I'd recommend the TFO. The only gripe I have about it is the cork.

Thanks bam,the 6wts I looked at did have the fighting butts. I was also looking for feedback on the TFO's thanks wsender.

How about Sage's Bass Rod? Made in several sizes. Designed just for Bass fishing and tossing big and/or heavy flies.

WildTigerTrout,they are kinda short and I think meant for fishing from a boat for tourney anglers. Also they cost a little more than I want to spend. But thanks, I'm sure they are great rods.

I tried a couple different rods I owned, and settled on a 10' 5wt TFO Teeny. For me, and to me, its got all the power of the 6wt St Croix I'd bought to try for smallmouth with, but it feels better to my hands.

Sounds like the TFO's are a good choice.I kinda dont trust going over 9' though for these rivers I fish arent that big. I throw up to size 6 streamers and nymphs and small poppers.

If you're not throwing big heavy flies I think a 6 will do you just fine. Personally I like a 7 for smallies as it gives me a little more to throw the heavily weighted crayfish, leech and over-sized poppers for them.

The other reason I like a 7 is I quite often tangle with carp while fishing for smallies and I like having the fighting but on such occasions. There are some 6 wts with fighting butts though in general you need a 7 for that addition.

If you're looking TFO check out the BVK's. I haven't cast a 6 or 7 but the 8wt was so nice I bought one. 3.2 ounces for a fast action 8wt for 250? Can't beat it with a stick.

As always cast around though. One man's sage is another man's mortgage.

I have an 8wt TFO TICR and LOVE it. I use it for bass on lakes, and steel. I can toss the line a mile and it has the extra backbone for me to horse in the steelies. I wouldn't sell it to anyone. I match it up with a Cabela's SR reel (not made anymore) and it is my favorite setup that I have. So all in all I would recommend it for what you want. But, as said before, in the 7wt.

Ryan

I fish an Albright GP 9’ 6/7wt lined with a 7wt bass bug taper for smallies. I like the 7wt because it can punch out big poppers and heavy weighted streamers and crayfish. You don’t “need” a 7wt to tangle with carp. I’ve landed many large carp on a 5wt. The purpose behind the heavier line weight is to turn over large and heavy flies. Bass love big bait! The 9’ rod is very versatile for all applications. I regularly fish top water, strip streamers, and nymph for bass with this rod. I’ve fished ponds with it for largemouth too. I really like the fact that the Albright 6/7 has no fighting butt. There’s nothing to get tangled on and it makes it feel like bass fishing with a trout rod rather than a steelhead rod. I have been very happy with this rod fishing for smallies. If you watch their website, they have sales often.

10' 7wt for smallie and chromadome. Just watch the weight (or swing weight) cause that extra foot can be rough.

Any $50 Bass Pro spin job about 6.5 - 7 ft., with 8 lb. test. A handful of Berkeley purple power pulse worms on Gamagatsu 1/0 high performance baitholder hooks. Texas or carolina weedless rig it and bounce it off the bottom.

Whooops, did I say that.

Unless, that is, you've committed yourself to the challenge of fly fishing. I still get the spinning rod out once every year or so.

It really is like cheating some days. ;-)

A 9' 6wt will handle size 6 streamers and under no problem. I was thinking of the Schuylkill down this way where it's 100 yards wide in some areas.

I use my 9 wt because a 5 and 6wt aren't enough for me. As usual, my flies are three times heavier than average. I would like a fast 7 wt for this duty. I might get another dan craft FT blank...

6 is the smallest I would use but only if I had a bass taper line on it . The rod I would choose depends on how big the streams you are going planing to fish . But almost all true smallie guys use 8wt's on rivers but a 7 will be ok . All tfo rods except the BVK rod are very heavy and have a high swing weight . The average fly I toss on rivers is usually a size 2 weighted which is why I use mostly a 8 wt for most of my smallie fishing .
One of the reasons your could being tired from casting a 8wt is that your not leting the rod do most of the work for you and your using to much muscle .

Fredrick wrote:
6 is the smallest I would use but only if I had a bass taper line on it . The rod I would choose depends on how big the streams you are going planing to fish . But almost all true smallie guys use 8wt's on rivers but a 7 will be ok . All tfo rods except the BVK rod are very heavy and have a high swing weight . The average fly I toss on rivers is usually a size 2 weighted which is why I use mostly a 8 wt for most of my smallie fishing .
One of the reasons your could being tired from casting a 8wt is that your not leting the rod do most of the work for you and your using to much muscle .

Yup to Fred & Jay. I like an 8wt for big rivers while a 7wt is a great compromise for medium to larger water casting fairly big or heavy flies. A 6wt would work for smaller flies in smaller SMB streams.

Any of the aforementioned rod weights will handle the fish, being able to cast and fish the flies you use should be Job1 when choosing a rod.

Also the Rio Clouser line or Orvis Bass taper line can be very useful as Fred mentions.

Fredrick wrote:
I think you may be correct. It's different from casting 4-5 wt. trout rods. I guess I'll need to look for a dvd on casting heavy.I have a 9' 8wt. med/fast and a Clouser line on it. All I know is after fishing hard an hour or so I was beat.

I prefer a 9' 7 weight to turn over large weighted flies. My primary smalllmouth river is the Schuylkill, which I've been fly fishing for decades.

Back