Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Small stream rod on a budget

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Wildfish,

It depends on the type of water you fish. My small streams are high gradient infertile mountain brookie streams, and often thick.

I rarely use small flies on them. I'm using 12's and 14 dry flies, occasionally a 10-14 prince nymph or a small streamer. The fish are not picky about pattern, nor drag shy, nor line shy. They are extremely opportunistic and aggressive. Some people use 8's and 10's to catch 4 inch fish. The name of the game is simply to put a fly in front of them without having them see you first. Meaning the distance has to be as far as possible, which still isn't all that far.

Overlining the rod helps it load properly at short distances. If you put, say, a 4 wt line on a 4 wt rod, it is properly lined at 30 feet but underlined at 10 feet. That Cortland 4/5 wt I mentioned, I usually fish it with a 6 wt line.

The heavier, and faster rods are for power. Drag is always somewhat important, but less so here than in a smooth flowing limestoner. It's gotta be pretty bad to actually spook the fish, and if he isn't spooked he'll hit. Power is very important. It's likely you'll have to throw tight loops through small windows and hit a pocket the size of a dinner plate, all with no backcast.

If you're seeing yourself on slower, valley streams, then what I'm saying doesn't apply.

Posted on: 2010/1/8 23:52

From philadelphia
Quote:

bikerfish wrote:
eagle claw 7ft 4-5wt, walmart, 20 bucks, sloooowwww action. can't beat the price and you won't be bummed if it breaks!

good call.the 201o's have a nice real seAT.

Posted on: 2010/1/9 1:13

From Gettysburg
Wild,
The Cabelas Stowaway is a 6 pc available in 7.5' for a 4wt line - breaks down into sections of 15" - good for hiking mountain biking etc. Retails for about $130. I've built a few rods off the Stowaway blanks and they're basically medium action, not too fast for what I think you're looking for.

Posted on: 2010/1/9 10:30

From Gunpowder River, MD
Quote:

Wildfish wrote:
Hey guys,
I have a cabelas gift cert and $20 off coupon burning a hole in my pocket and I just discovered they put the 3w vantage rods on sale. However, I see the rod is medium/fast. Are there any slower budget rods on the market? I know slower means fewer wraps of graphite, which means better, more expensive graphite. But is there anything in the $250 range that fits the bill? Not a noodle, but something med/slow, 3w, maybe 7'6? I don't need to shoot any line, this would be for close range, stealth, ninja-style brookie fishing...

Of course I'd head to the shop to play with the rods first. But I want to do some research.

I'd spend that gift card on general tackle and look for a decent piece of glass..If you want slower action, nothing like glass IMO...You can sometimes find glass rods on ebay...Fiberglass is ideal up to 8', and perfect for small stream tactical presentation..

Posted on: 2010/1/9 13:24

From Schuylkill County
Quote:

Fishidiot wrote:
Wild,
The Cabelas Stowaway is a 6 pc available in 7.5' for a 4wt line - breaks down into sections of 15" - good for hiking mountain biking etc. Retails for about $130. I've built a few rods off the Stowaway blanks and they're basically medium action, not too fast for what I think you're looking for.

Dave,

I thought the Stowaways were either 5 or 7 piece?

Anyway, I have the 5pc, 7.5 ft 4wt stowaway for several years now. I really like it for small streams, often attaching the tube to a fanny pack until I hike/walk to get to a fishing area. For me it's a great rod.

I've already broke the tip off in my tailgate, luckily only an inch, so I just put the same tip-top back on.

John

Posted on: 2010/1/9 14:47
if you look at it right...

From harlansburg
you nailed it sundrunk! I've got dozens of rods, but my "go to" rod for small to medium streams is an old cortland glass 7'6" 6wt. it just feels so damn nice to cast, very smooth. can't wait to build up my mcfarland 8' 5wt glass!

Posted on: 2010/1/9 14:55

From Gunpowder River, MD
So you bought one of Mcfarland's 8' glass blank's..I thought about doing that once, ended up buying the rod built (sprucecreek) 8' 5wt...Soft action fly rod with a little back bone..great rod..

Other qualitys to glass, durability...Could practically bush wack with glass, in two pieces...

Posted on: 2010/1/9 15:27

From Gettysburg
Quote:

JF_ wrote:
Quote:

Fishidiot wrote:
Wild,

Dave,

I thought the Stowaways were either 5 or 7 piece?

Anyway, I have the 5pc, 7.5 ft 4wt stowaway for several years now. I really like it for small streams, often attaching the tube to a fanny pack until I hike/walk to get to a fishing area. For me it's a great rod.

I've already broke the tip off in my tailgate, luckily only an inch, so I just put the same tip-top back on.

John

John,
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing - they always offerred this rod in the 5 or 7 pc version. However, I just got the latest Cabelas catalog (they send me too many catalogs!!) and they offer only one "Stowaway" and it's a 6pc. Maybe I missed something but that was the only one I saw. The 5pc version used to be a good bit cheaper too.

Posted on: 2010/1/9 16:03

From Carlisle, Pa
I was just looking at the Cabelas web page thinking the same thing because I have a 7 pc Stowaway. The new stowaway is different than the prior years Stowaway rods the rod looks different than mine and mine is only a year old.
Justin

Posted on: 2010/1/9 16:11

From harlansburg
my stowaway is a 5 pc. blank made in korea. it's held up good though, gets a lot of use, and a little abuse. pretty green color. built it up with dark green wraps tipped in gold. over line it with a wf 5 for small streams.
sundrunk, I'd love to buy a rod already built, but it's just not in the budget. plus, I'm kind of a DIY guy, and I love building rods

Posted on: 2010/1/9 16:36

From Gunpowder River, MD
I understand what you mean, I had every intention on building a glass rod on my own too..I just ran in to an oppurtunity to get one at a good price so I just bougt it..Doesn't mcfarland want bout 300. for his blanks? You coming up with every thing else on your own, grip, wraps, seat? When I priced it out, I'd figured you save 100.bucks with the kit rod..I'm sure you'll enjoy the building process too..

Posted on: 2010/1/9 17:29

From harlansburg
his blanks are 195 shipped, everything else probably coming from anglers workshop, not decided yet, still scanning through catalogs! not sure what reel seat I want yet, but total cost for components will be between 50-75 bucks I think.

Posted on: 2010/1/10 8:09

If you are interested in building yourself, I highly recomend the glass rods from Lamiglas. They come in 2, 3 & 6 pieces so you can find exactly what you want. 6 pc is great for hiking in. They are slow, smooth actions and come in a nice honey color. Kind of reminds me of blonde cane rods with a little more gold color. Very retro look which I happen to love. I have one myself and it is my favorite fishing rod! I built one for a customer last year and he loves it too. You could easily come in at <$200 even with the best components.

Posted on: 2010/1/12 7:20

If you are interested in building yourself, I highly recomend the glass rods from Lamiglas. They come in 2, 3 & 6 pieces so you can find exactly what you want. 6 pc is great for hiking in. They are slow, smooth actions and come in a nice honey color. Kind of reminds me of blonde cane rods with a little more gold color. Very retro look which I happen to love. I have one myself and it is my favorite fishing rod! I built one for a customer last year and he loves it too. You could easily come in at <$200 even with the best components.

Posted on: 2010/1/12 7:21

From harlansburg
those lami blanks are wonderful, make very classy rods, very popular for small streams in their smaller sizes

Posted on: 2010/1/12 8:50

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes
No
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com