Sink tip lines

CLSports

CLSports

I use a SA streamer express 450 gr. sink tip line on my 12 wt. musky road and I am looking to get another sink tip line for my 8 wt rod.

I just want to hear opinions on those that have used the Rio in-touch, Orvis Bank Shot, or SA streamer express lines and which you think is the best.

I cast the Orvis bank shot sink tip line a couple weeks ago on my buddy's rod and loved it. I also really like my SA line on my 12 wt rod, but I am not sure which line to go with for my 8 wt. I am leaning towards the Orvis line since I really thought it was a great line, but may go with another SA line, or the Rio line . . .

CLSports wrote:
I use a SA streamer express 450 gr. sink tip line on my 12 wt. musky road and I am looking to get another sink tip line for my 8 wt rod.

I just want to hear opinions on those that have used the Rio in-touch, Orvis Bank Shot, or SA streamer express lines and which you think is the best.

I cast the Orvis bank shot sink tip line a couple weeks ago on my buddy's rod and loved it. I also really like my SA line on my 12 wt rod, but I am not sure which line to go with for my 8 wt. I am leaning towards the Orvis line since I really thought it was a great line, but may go with another SA line, or the Rio line . . .

^ What type of fish and fishing are you looking to do with your 8wt?

Bank shot is great for heavy flies and shorter casts.

I use Depth Charge sink-tip lines for SW and Muskie (I fish a 9, 10 and 11wt rods depending on conditions).

A 300gr Depth Charge will zing it out on your 8wt. A Bank Shot 8wt line will turn over big flies at shorter distances and still can cast for some distance. The DC line will sink deeper and faster while the BS line is great for sniping along the bank.

It really depends on what type of fishing you are looking to do.

River fishing from a boat for trout and bass mostly is the intended use of this line.

I don't think I have too many streamers under 4" these days.

I tried the Bank Shot from a boat on the D with relatively short casts and it performed well. I love only needing 1-2 false casts to zing a line out where I need it to go. Bank shots that is.

I am most likely going with that bank shot, but wanted to hear other opinions.

The line is the most important thing to me. Any rod and reel these days will suffice. The line is what makes or breaks your setup IMO.

I am looking for a Sink Tip line and not a full sink line. I want a sink rate of about 8 ips and 300-350 gr. wt. for an 8 wt. rod which they all have. I have just only used/cast the SA and Orvis lines and never the Rio. I am sure they are all good really.

CLSports wrote:
River fishing from a boat for trout and bass mostly is the intended use of this line.

I don't think I have too many streamers under 4" these days.

I tried the Bank Shot from a boat on the D with relatively short casts and it performed well. I love only needing 1-2 false casts to zing a line out where I need it to go. Bank shots that is.

I am most likely going with that bank shot, but wanted to hear other opinions.

The line is the most important thing to me. Any rod and reel these days will suffice. The line is what makes or breaks your setup IMO.

I am looking for a Sink Tip line and not a full sink line. I want a sink rate of about 8 ips and 300-350 gr. wt. for an 8 wt. rod which they all have. I have just only used/cast the SA and Orvis lines and never the Rio. I am sure they are all good really.

^ Sounds like the Orvis Bank Shot line would work great.

I too am only familiar with Orvis & SA lines and have no experience with Rio or other brands that may be used for that type of fishing. Maybe others will chime in. Good luck.

I fish still water largemouth and pike in Presque Isle Bay and small lakes and occasionally, smallmouth in the Allegheny with Cabelas-branded Type 2 and Type 5 sink tips. 8 weights. They do what I want them to do.

But I am notoriously cheap and these are the only sink tips I really have any experience with. So, you might want to take into consideration that I probably know barely enough about the subject to have an opinion....

I've plenty of experience with various sink tips from SA, Rio, Orvis & Airflo fishing big flies, in rivers from boats.

Airflo sniper on my 10 weight. 24' head, I wish it was 30'.

Rio intouch Outbound Short has been my favorite, on both 6 & 8 weights. It's a 30' head. It shoots awesome. The only issues I've had is it coils a good bit in the cold, but it casts so sweet I deal with the coiling.

I'm still using the one on my 6, but the 8 was 4 years old & I wanted something heavier for one really deep gorge & a specific lake I've been fishing in the summers. So, I picked up the new airflo Galloup Shovelhead line. I don't have my pontoon in the lake yet, so I haven't gotten to use it for the place I bought it, only in one river that is shallower than I'd have preferred... New line, I just wanted to try it, even though I knew I'd get snagged up a good bit & it did. So, I don't have an accurate read other than it also casts great & yea, it sinks fast, too fast for where I fished it! But that's not the line's fault. It has longitudinal ridges like the airflow running lines I've also used on spey rods.

I've never cast the Orvis Bankshot line, only the Depthcharge. I much preferred the Rio to the depthcharge. Stronger taper.

Back