Simms Sling Pack

B

Broad_Top

If anyone has a Simms Headwaters sling pack, I'm interested in any suggestions on their adaptation for use. Nets, tool docking, etc.

I bought one on sale this week, I'd been wanting a sling pack. I'm not thrilled with its features, but its not too big or complex, and most importantly, its a nice plain brown, the least gay-looking thing I could find for what I wanted.

Which brings up a question - why can't manufacturers make more rugged, plain looking packs that also have good features? I'd prefer my gear to look like military surplus stuff if it could. In that case, maybe that's where I should've gone. Perhaps I'm the vain one, but I don't wanna look like, as my Poe Valley buddy calls them, 'the spandex crowd'.*

Thanks,
Brian

*apologies to the spandex wearers

orvis did, then they went and fishponded it up because that's what sells.

goto the surplus store. you'd be surprised what you can find there.

Smithfly makes a more "tactical" looking product

smithfly: uhm, it appears they've actually gone to the surplus store, bought up some stuff, and tacked a zero on the end of to sell to fishermen.

that's a standard MOLLE vest and pockets. i've done the same thing on a wading belt. it works quite well. they sell a molle belt with back support as well which you could do the same thing i did without spendign $60 on a belt, first.

but all of smithfly's stuff is standard GI.

someone else makes a mighty pretty looking canvas bag with leather accruements which is also stupidly expensive, but always impresses me.

How about this sling for $20.00?

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/military-style-sidekick-sling-bag.aspx?a=680136

Sportsman's Guide - why didn't I think of that. That'd be a nice lil pack for black powder season too. I could get two for the price of the Simms...

they look like a great deal.

Go with Filson stuff. Pricey but it is the best. I prefer the foul weather strap vest.

http://www.filson.com/products/foul-weather-fly-fishing-vest.16002.html

I have a Simms sling pack, an like you said it dosent have a place for everything. I found that a few retractors mounted on each side, for various tools(nippers,knot tool,gink,ect) works well for me. I usually don't carry a net, but when I do I usually have my camelback on with a magnetic release on it. All in all I like sling packs more then chest packs or lanyards. Personal preference.

Back