Simms Rivershed vs Korker Chrome boots

L

Lonewolve

Looking to get a backup pair of wading boots, i currnetly have a pair of Weinbrenner/Borger boots with carbide studded felts,ill get probabaly 3 more years out of the Borger boots till ill have to get a Korkers studded felt kit and get them glued and restitched.
I had a Pair of Simms Guide boots with the studded Aquastealth soles and i wear a size#13 the boots were #13 my toes got squinched pretty hard, guy i got em off of on fleabay wore em a week and had to go smaller i wore em a day an gave em to a friend.
Are Simms boots on the small side? How are the Korker Boots on the fit side of things. which rubber is better?What about outer boot and sole durability?I prefer studdded Felt myself.
what say you?
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace
I'd like to get a pair soon so i will have them for my Niagara trip. 3 worst rivers i fish that are hard on wading boots #1 Salmon River,#2 Broadheads Creek,#3 Lehigh River.

stay away from the korker chromes... the korker metalheads are MUCH better

Korkers fit true to size... get the same as your street shoe
the korker boots also have the BOA system (simms has it on the rivertek, not the rivershed) the simms BOA is lesser quailty than the korkers
Korkers are MUCH lighter
the rubber on Korkers (klingon) is a better grip (streamtred)
plus you can swap out soles on the korkers

With Simms, people report that fit depends on the model boot. I just bought my second pair of Riversheds (first felt and then Vibram), and they fit my shoe size perfectly. Lots of room in the toe area, but that's what people report about the Riversheds: more generous fit than other Simms boots. The Vibram is my first experience with good rubber on wading boots, and has exceeded my expectations. I'd say 100% as good as felt Riversheds. The Riversheds are very stiff when brand new, but loosen up after a few hours. That could effect your wading safety
if you're prepared for the soles to be inflexible for the first few outings, but I just told you. ;-)

My riversheds are awesome! Really good traction when hiking in an good in the stream also. Get some kinda cleat for them, I just use self tapping screws.

I think you'll find a different cut / fit between G4, Guide Boot, Rivershed models. I think you should go to your local shop or to Cabelas and try some boots on before you make a decision. I know it's a pain to sit there in waders trying on boots but your feet will thank you for it.

Rick,
You might not need new boots in the near future.
I ended up gettting 9 years out of my Weinbrenner's + 2 Korker studded felt kits and a couple of stitch repairs from the local cobbler.
For a back-up and snowy conditions, I had a pair of Simms auqua stealth. I hated them as they gave poor traction while hiking.
Now, I have chota felt/screw. Good traction in the water, terrible on muddy or snowy trails.
For winter conditions and hiking, I like the Chota deep rubber lugged sole like the Caney Fork or RocLoc. They both have a nice deep tread for traction on land and sockets for screw. Not quite as good as felt in the water.

Back