Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Simms Headwaters sling pack

From Fairborn, OH
Anyone have experience with either last year's version or, preferably, the 2014 large version? I'm strongly considering getting the large pack for hike-in fishing this season.

I have a very nice Fishpond Nimbus chestpack but have grown to hate how frequently line/flies gets hung up on stuff out in front when fishing.

Thanks for your feedback.

Posted on: 2/27 12:40

Re: Simms Headwaters sling pack

From Pittsburgh, PA
I love Simms products, but I just bought an Orvis Guide Sling Pack... and I LOVE IT!!! If you have a shop nearby, go in and check it out.

Posted on: 2/27 19:51

From Fairborn, OH
That was the other one I was looking into. I like they layout on both. I may just throw a dart at a map and pick one. The Simms is a little bigger, which would work out well for the trip I planned for May where a buddy and I will be hiking into some alpine lakes in Utah.

Posted on: 2/28 11:41

From Ferguson Twp.
A larger capacity sling pack would work better I think. As long as it's not to the point of cumbersome. I have a William & Joseph model and really like it, sling packs in general are a nice design for what they are.

Posted on: 2/28 11:55

From Fairborn, OH
lv2nymph -

I agree and think I may just go ahead and give it a shot. The shop I'm ordering from does a 10% military discount and will gladly take and exchange or return if I don't like it when it gets here. From the shots I've seen of it, it doesn't look too insanely big where you can't get under low branches and such, but once it's in my hands I'll know for sure. Still, if anyone has any immediate experience with the Simms sling packs, I'd love to hear it.

Posted on: 2/28 14:19

From Ferguson Twp.
Six, I'm thinking of a different sling pack apparently. This is like the one I have but mine is a much older model, think I've had it at least 13-15 yrs.
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/will ... shing-sling-pack~p~1505f/

Posted on: 2/28 14:46

From Upper Bucks
Pretty good write up and comp here:
http://www.centerpintalk.com/forum/sh ... s-Large-Headwaters-Sling-(2014)-vs-Orvis-Guide-Sling

Posted on: 2/28 18:28

From Bucks County
I REALLY liked the new Simms Large Headwaters Sling Pack....way more than the Orvis. The Simms just seemed made better and with better materials.

It can sure hold a tone too. My only issue with the Simms was not water bottle pocket.

Posted on: 2/28 18:58

From Fairborn, OH
Quote:

lv2nymph wrote:
Six, I'm thinking of a different sling pack apparently. This is like the one I have but mine is a much older model, think I've had it at least 13-15 yrs.
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/will ... shing-sling-pack~p~1505f/

Oh, I see. I realize I just raised some confusion by not being clear in my last post: I'm actually fairly sure I'm going to try that Simms Large Headwaters pack first. The WJ is a nice-looking minimalist pack, but the more I look at it, the more I realize that it may suffer from the same problems I presently have with stuff catching on the front of it. At a glance, it looks like there's no position where a large part of the pack isn't protruding from the chest and that's where my chest pack has become an annoyance.

Quote:

jrmyln wrote:
Pretty good write up and comp here:
http://www.centerpintalk.com/forum/sh ... s-Large-Headwaters-Sling-(2014)-vs-Orvis-Guide-Sling

jrmyln - that looks like a good read. I'm going to hit it up shortly. That's exactly what I was after.

Quote:

thebassman wrote:
I REALLY liked the new Simms Large Headwaters Sling Pack....way more than the Orvis. The Simms just seemed made better and with better materials.

It can sure hold a tone too. My only issue with the Simms was not water bottle pocket.

The addition of the water bottle pocket to the new/large pack is exactly what made me start looking that way after originally favoring the Orvis pack. I like what I saw in the Orvis pack over the smaller Simms sling pack, particularly the fact that Orvis added a water bottle pocket, but the 2014 Large Headwaters from Simms took care of that inequity and also has more overall space. Still, I'm going to read that review posted above and see if there's anything I'm missing.

Thanks for all of your help, guys.

EDIT: nevermind about the water bottle. Apparently, that's only a feature of the smaller pack. The larger one has the main compartment space to hold a water bottle, but doesn't have a dedicated pocket.

Posted on: 2/28 19:32

Edited by Six-Gun on 2014/2/28 20:04:30

From Ferguson Twp.
Yep, the one I have is much more streamlined than that model. ( the big pouch on the front is not on the one I have)I've never had a problem slipping through thick stuff, I'm sure they made the change to hold more gear. But that's not why I wanted it.

Posted on: 2/28 20:02

From Fairborn, OH
I have been looking for a good breakdown of the interior compartments on the Simms offering. I found an excellent video on YouTube...completely in Russian. The guy does such a good job of demoing the pack that I really didn't care that I couldn't understand a word he said.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mdr9YXzS5fc

Posted on: 2/28 23:46

From Ferguson Twp.
That's too funny, and that's a nice pack six. Get it? pack six, six pack... Ok it's early, been working nights and not sleeping much.

Posted on: 3/1 3:31

From Fairborn, OH
Hah! Funny indeed. I may even name the thing now that you've got it all sorted out for me.

But, ya gotta admit, that's a damned fine video, isn't it? Just goes to show you, sometimes, even a Belarusian can teach you a thing or two about gear!

Posted on: 3/1 3:59

From Fairborn, OH
Oh, and I do like that you can fit a water bottle and a raincoat in there as needed.

Posted on: 3/1 4:05

From WV
I have the 2014 simms large sling pack, great pack, well laid out. Only complaint is the lack of d rings on the bottom of the pack for hanging accessories like a tippet-T. I do not like the tippet and floatant holders that come with it. IMO the velcro system is pretty poorly thought out. When fishing there's enough stuff I'm worried about losing: flies, net, etc. I don't need to add 4 spools of seaguar gmax and the same number of spools of varivas to that list. For now, I just keep them inside the pack.

I'm partial to sling packs, rarely use anything else.

Posted on: 3/1 18:49

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com