Simms Headwaters or Orvis Silver Sonic Convertibles

T

Toomanyhobbies

Looking to get new waders for this weekend and Ive narrowed my search down to either Simms Headwaters or the Orvis convertibles. Ive never had good waders so I was looking for some advise between the two.

Does not matter sooner or later you'll purchase a pair of Simms.

End of thread. LOL

I currently have both and use both. I prefer the Simms for the bootie construction. The booties are foot shaped and of a foot size. The Simms also have a nicer pocket in the front.
The orvis are lighter and the material is more flexible but the booties are for huge feet and there is always extra bootie to contend with when putting on my wading boots. I like being able to drop them down and they do have a waterproof pocket but the Simms just fit me better. For the Simms I just drop them down to my waist and use the straps as a belt and accomplish the same thing.
Hope this helps.

You can probably find some Simms G3 on closeout depending on your size. Try Madison River Fishing Company.

I did read where the Orvis booties are rather large but I do like the lighter fabric and features of the Orvis because these will be used in summer in my float tube and the sonic welds and being taped as well seems to be a full proof design. We'll see this afternoon when I try on both on to see what I like better.

Well I decided on the Orvis Silver Sonic Convertibles. Anything more than a hundred dollar pair of waders would have been an upgrade but again I liked the features and lighter weight fabric. This is the first pair of "real" waders Ive owned so I'm so excited to try them out tomorrow. They fit very well and surprisingly the booties fit well. If I went by their sizing chart I would have fell into the XL as I'm 5'11" 208lbs with a size 10 shoe and 31" inseam. I tried the XL on and wayyyyy too big! I ended up in a size large and everything fit very well. I also ended up with a very nice Orvis wading jacket and a pair of Simms boots, they even studded them for free!

Toomanyhobbies wrote:
... I tried the XL on and wayyyyy too big! I ended up in a size large and everything fit very well. I also ended up with a very nice Orvis wading jacket and a pair of Simms boots, they even studded them for free!

Very nice.
Try getting that kind of service on closeouts through the internet.
Good luck with them.

Back