Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Simms G3 waders?

Kbobb, thanks for the well wishes. I like that approach, and never actually thought of breaking it down as cost per trip. I can do without the McDonalds (I don't think I've eaten there in years) but the beer... I may just have to splurge.

Boychick, I appreciate the review. I'm still up in the air about losing my chest box, now that I've found a way to reorganize it to make it more useful. If I use it I hope I can work around all the useful features built in the waders. I'm ready to get my hands on my waders... I'm impatient.

NickN, thanks for the input.

Posted on: 3/14 12:13
"I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach

From Dauphin PA
I'm pretty sure you can get away with sticking 3 elk hair caddis on your hat brim. No need for a chest box. It's not like natives are selective or you'll be hitting overlapping hatches. Thrres also the option of carrying some snelled hooks in your pocket and threading a cigarette butt or small stick onto it. Natives are difficult to catch / ultra selective.... they can frequently be seen rising to miscellaneous debris floating in the film. Just don't pinch down the barb and you won't lose your Marlboro stimulator.

You don't even need to carry tippet unless you're in the trees a lot.

Posted on: 3/14 13:32

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Everyone is in the trees a lot. If you aren't, you ain't really pushing yourself. As you get better, you don't spend less time in the trees, you merely screw up doing harder things!

And regarding difficulty, it has it's share of challenges, they're just different than the challenges on big water.

Posted on: 3/14 14:00

I've never caught a brookie on an Elk Hair caddis, honestly.

On the cigarette butt, I had a foam ant pattern (it was given to me by a buddy, it was just a brown cylinder of foam with a red end (looked like cigarette ashes)). I was teaching another buddy to nymph on Spring a couple weeks ago. I figured an indicator would shorten the curve (I never used them so naturally I didn't have any), so I used the foam ant. Wouldn't you know the second cast about a 2' fish hammered that ant.

Posted on: 3/15 1:01
"I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach

From Ohio
Brokiechaser,

You don't need to get rid of the chest box if that's your thing. In fact the tippet tender pocket zips off if you don't want to use it. I would not let that issues sway your decision.

Posted on: 3/15 9:06

Thanks boychick. I'll make the ultimate decision once my waders get here and I can see how things will work on the stream.

Posted on: 3/16 13:39

From Pittsburgh, PA
Here is a review of several types of waders I looked at when deciding which type of waders to purchase. Maybe it will be of some help:

Wader shootout (2013)

Posted on: 3/17 18:30

Thanks for the link echuck.

I came across that in some of my searches, it was helpful. Now that it's linked here, it may help some other people in my situation.

Posted on: 3/17 20:19

Quote:
On the cigarette butt, I had a foam ant pattern (it was given to me by a buddy, it was just a brown cylinder of foam with a red end (looked like cigarette ashes)).

Yeah, if you think a cigarette butt is bad, check out the Chernobyl Ant!!!!

Posted on: 3/18 10:40

Pcray, I'll check out the Chernobyl Ant. I've never heard of it.

My waders arrived today. It was like Christmas day to me.

My first impression was how Simms goes out of their way to assure you know there are real people handling your order. The left and right feet are surprisingly comfortable. Casey was right-on with the sizing recommendation. Due to a large chest measurement they're a bit baggy but I knew that going in. I think (maybe I'm telling myself) that I can feel a difference in the material vs my old cheap waders.
I don't believe I'm utilizing the tippet pocket, I'll just keep with the chest box. Maybe I'm not utilizing it correctly, so that could be an experiment for another time.

I guess the real test for the waders is Saturday. Thanks again for the input y'all.

Posted on: 3/19 19:35

Every breathable material has a different feel. I don't know if it makes them better or not. Gore-Tex has a real "slick" feel, which is probably good for shedding brush. Brush pants often have similar surface finishes. Filson and the like. Of all the waterproof/breathable fabrics out there, they are ALL waterproof, breathable, and fragile. I think the most important difference between them is the protective layer that goes on the outside, which gives them strength and durability.

I've noticed the neoprene in the feet is thicker, it makes my boots feel a bit tight.

I'm doing the same on the tippet pocket. It works fine as a tippet pocket, but I just think the advantages of my box outweigh any advantages of having a tippet pocket. Wish someone would come up with stomach pockets, or a dispenser integrated into the suspenders.

Your waders will work fine on Saturday. I'm more interested in what they do in 3-5 years. I guess we'll find out then.

Posted on: 3/20 13:35

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com