Short Rods and where you use them

JakesLeakyWaders

JakesLeakyWaders

I'm talking about rods that are around 7 feet or shorter, even down to 5 feet in length.

I have;

7' #5

7'3" #2

I find that I use them in very small streams where waders are not applicable and when standing along the stream, brush and branches seem to envelope you from either side of the creek.

Places like these, you couldn't convince me to try a 9' anything. I would be cursing just tryin' to get to the stream and navigate let alone cast within the confines of a tunnel of foliage and overhanging twigs. These are the places I use a short rod because a long rod will not fit.

I've found places I wished I had a 5 footer, because at least I'd have room for a side arm cast instead of being limited to a bow and arrow cast. And you can still cast a fair distance with a short rod.

With a shorter rod I know that on a very small stream I at least usually have this small clear casting lane, low to the water and usually near the center of the stream where I can fit a cast up or down stream. Where, with a long rod it would be reaching nearly to the other side of the stream which is fine unless it is choked with vegetation, you will be limited to just "dapping" your fly with a long rod having no room for casting.

I know they are niche rods, but there are some places where you really are cramped for space on all sides, this is where I like a short rod.

greensprings,letort,falling springs,fisherman's paradise-five footer was fun and enough during terrestial[sp] season
Used the five footer on ponds in Montana.
Would go up to a sixfooter in Pa. for Penns,Pine or small marabou streamers.
The most interesting thing for someone who started in Pa.,moved west,then gets on this forum forty years later is seeing the change in attitude regarding rod lengths-
Shenck[sp?] and Koch were pushing their short glass rods in the early sixties-Seven foot was really pushing it-now I see 10 and 11 footers all the rage.
I pass no judgment-its all fun but try a shorty for hopper fishing-east or west,thats usually along the bank-a lot of fun.

Lots of places I'd prefer a 6 foot rod, Cedar run, upper slate, even green spring.

One place you don't want the lite outfit is to wade out into the Yellowstone for the first time and realize the westerners ,with their moose roping tackle really know more than you do about their waters.
I won't admit i cried in frustration but I owned a new outfit before the sun went down-lol

pete,

The difference is graphite. Graphite is lighter and stiffer. Thus you can get longer without getting ridiculously heavy or soft. Length helps. i.e. you have longer, lighter, stiffer graphite rods. Not saying a 5 or 6 footer won't do the job, but its a disadvantage when you can get away with a longer rod.

I do use short rods on small, brushy streams. The tighter it is, the shorter your rod should be. But use as long as you can reasonably get away with for the place.

My shortest is a 7.5 footer, and I use it for most brookie streams. The exceptions are if the stream is incredibly wide open, like mature hemlock for instance where the lowest branches are 30 feet and no rhododendron or laurel underneath, then I'll take a longer rod. There are also some really thick streams where I wish I had a 5 or 6 footer.

how much do we want to handicap ourselves tangling with pea-brain?better not go there-jakes post.lol
oops-that didn't come out right- too much hi-tech for me.

Pete,

I guess I can understand the novelty of taking a big trout on a small rod, but it seems like it would present more work casting and mending line to me. Smaller rods may be more ideal for tight line streamer fishing

That is the point-but better back off-we messed up jakes carp fishing.lol

How? All I did was quote Walton"

knot thee and me just the latter-

I have a 7.5 foot 3wt. I can't see any practical (enough to make me buy) use for anything shorter. Then again, I would take a 7' 5wt for my annual brookie outing.

I have a 7'6" 3wt and a 7' 4wt. I should get rid of one of these rods.

Anyone want to swap me for a 8' 4wt?

My shortest flyrod is a "Loomis" GL3 6'6" 3 weight. I use it almost exclusively on small native freestone streams. At times it feels like a magic wand! LOL. It is one of my favorite rods.

Pete:

That is the point-but better back off-we messed up jakes carp fishing.lol

Honestly when I first came on this site I was pretty straight forward and serious about my posts or topics, then I realized how a lot of people are on here. It's the internet.

Anymore, this time of the year I just put topics out there to see what kind of responses I get. I figure half the threads are Crap anyway so why not throw another topic in here, or argue just for the sake of arguing. Hey I'm bored too.

I could have just as easily bumped the mountain lion thread again, and claimed to have bunked up with a lion in a cave on a cold rainy fishing expedition, thus firing that thread up again, but nooooo, being thoughtful and generous as I am, I have given you all new topics in the way of a rod thread and a carp thread for you to chew on. :p

I just use the longest rod I can get away with. My thinking is there are more advantages to long rods than there are to short ones. Sometimes the longest rod I can get away with is a 6'6".
Wait thats not all true....I have a cut-off at the upper end of 9'. Even if I can get away with a longer rod I dont go over 9'. If I was fishing saltwater or something I would try a longer rod,but not for my everyday PA fishing. :)

I have and use a 5'3" for a 4/5 wt. for small streams and it has caught a few under 30" musky and a few carp along with carp. That is the smallest right now. used to have a 4' footer for a 4wt. but sold it long ago. Thinking of building one again.

I've got a few 6 and 6'6" rods, bamboo and glass. I use them on small brookie waters and love them.
I also use them in my canoe for bluegills.
some folks like em long, some like em short. they will both catch fish.

I have a 7' TXL 3wt thats a sweet little rod, thats the shortest I have right now. I've had 6 and 6.5 footers in the past and liked them, but not enough to keep them for the long run. you can always choke up the the rod, but you can't make it longer. I think that slower rods perform better when shorter and faster rods work better when longer.

I have a 6 '- 3 weight that I only bring out for use on the smallest, brushiest streams. And it doesn't get used very much - sometimes I go years without opening up that tube.

I see Cabela's has TQR or Tight Quaters Rods that go 5'. I have been in spots where that seemed reasonable,but made do with my 7'6". It's not always nesessary to aireal cast....I know my spelling aint the best.

Back