Scott discontinuing A3?

Wildfish

Wildfish

This is the rumor floating around. Anyone heard anything? I was about to pull the trigger on a 5wt. Love the rod, but if they're coming out with something similar with slightly better components I'd be interested (esp at that price point).

I read this somewhere too, and now that I'm searching for it, I can't find where I read it.

I've seen some VERY cheap (165-175). It's still listed on the website as a current model. They may phase it out at the end of this season.

Let me know if you see one for $165--I love these rods and would definitely grab another at that price.

Well TCO is selling Scott A3's on a no reserve auction basis, thus I would assume they have factory authorization to sell for less than MSRP. That tells ya something.

I remember where I saw it...I hope that this post is ok (being from non-sponsor). Please delete if its not.

from www.farmingtonriver.com

"The highly regarded Scott A3 rods are being discontinued.....Choose from a selection of 3wt to 10wt rods marked down from $335........now $200 until they are gone. The rods are listed on our Used/ Store Specials page. Call ahead if you want to reserve one.... they will go quick"

This guy had an A3 but that auction must have ended. Here's an A2 that he's got listed.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mint-Scott-A2-Series-fly-rod-5-weight-9-foot-4-piece-/220812256570?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33696fa53a

Confirmed with TCO that A3 is discontinued.

Used A2 for $150? I think you'll be able to get a new A3 for that in a few weeks. Maybe not. 8'6" 4wt that TCO has listed is at $249.95 with 19 bids and 2 hours left.

Sometimes that works the opposite way. If you want proof, look to Diamondglass rods which were discontinued, then clearanced and now sell for MORE than they were brand new, including the newest revision of them. Its odd.

I'd imagine you could find XPs for more than original MSRP if they are unused.

They are still quite expensive. Demand > supply

I totally agree with the Diamondglass observation. I still want one. I don't know what XPs went for originally, but they are still in high demand as well...they seem to fetch between $350-$450 depending on condition.

I could see the A3s holding their "auction value" down the road. Sometimes the best bet is to get one at a clearance price from a shop before they're all gone and prices become dictated by the bidding public. If only I could see the future...

Also, is it wrong of me to hate woven graphite reel seats? I don't know why I do...I just can't get past it.

I'm waiting for Cortland to kill the new Diamondglass rods and clearance 'em out since people only seem to give a damn about the old ones.

Then we can hear people chastise Cortland for killing the line no one bought when new TWICE.

turkey wrote:
Also, is it wrong of me to hate woven graphite reel seats? I don't know why I do...I just can't get past it.

No, and yes. Wood seats absorb salt water and split. Thus, if you plan to hit something tidal, its metal or graphite. The latter still looks nicer than the former, but wood is prettier still.

I, on the other hand, have an unreasonable hatred of sliding band reel seats. The last three rods I bought have had these monstrosities. I need hit kbob up, speaking there of...

gfen wrote:
turkey wrote:

No, and yes. Wood seats absorb salt water and split. Thus, if you plan to hit something tidal, its metal or graphite. The latter still looks nicer than the former, but wood is prettier still.

I, on the other hand, have an unreasonable hatred of sliding band reel seats. The last three rods I bought have had these monstrosities. I need hit kbob up, speaking there of...

Wood is among the heavier seat inserts as well.

Thanks for that link, I picked up an A3 9ft 9 wt for 200$. Good deal. Now tilt, I need a reel for it. Get on it!

LRSABecker wrote:
Thanks for that link, I picked up an A3 9ft 9 wt for 200$. Good deal. Now tilt, I need a reel for it. Get on it!

What's your limit? any preference?

LRSABecker wrote:

Allen. It's what I have on my 9wt and it performs very nicely. Remember, you aren't looking for the lightest reel ever made cause you gotta balance that rod.

jdaddy wrote:
Allen. It's what I have on my 9wt and it performs very nicely. Remember, you aren't looking for the lightest reel ever made cause you gotta balance that rod.

LL Bean. It probably came out of the same sweatshop that made the Allen reel, and you work there so why not save some money?

Also acceptable, Pflueger Medalist 1498. Only because I haven't said that in at least two days.

Back