Scott G2 844-4

Big-Bass

Big-Bass

After quite a while searching, I was able to make a deal for a barely used (as new) Scott G2 844-4 (with blank warranty card) rod from a member on this forum. I am going to match my Ross Evolution 1.5 (black) on the rod and I think the balance and look should be subdued and awesome. I was able to cast this particular model at the Fly Fishing Show in Somerset before making my final decision and I am pumped for it. What can I expect to throw with this rod besides dries (which is why I got it)? Could I get away with light nymphing or even smaller streamers (size 10 and 12)? Thanks for any input as I wait to complete my "Made in Colorado" outfit with the arrival of the rod. Have a good weekend everybody!

Big-Bass wrote:
I was able to make a deal for a barely used Scott G2 844-4 (with blank warranty card) rod from a member on this forum.

Someone should've done their research:

http://www.scottflyrod.com/other/warranty :
The Scott Lifetime Warranty applies only to the original owner of new graphite and fiberglass rods, and must be registered within 30 days of purchase. Unregistered or resold rods are not covered by this warranty.

No worries. Still the rod I was looking for. For someone that always knocks my posts about tackle, you sure do read and respond to most of them. Anything else or can I just be happy with the purchase?

not sure exactly what else you could throw with that rod, because I only threw tricos with the 1 I used. A guide allowed my to use his after I commented on how nice his rod looked ( he was not fish it, just had it in the back of the truck). I was able to throw sz 22 tricos and land several 20"+ fish with it. The feel was incredible and I would not be affraid to throw sz 8 streamers or weighted nymphs.

I'd throw just about anything with it - fantastic rod!. You're going to love it. If throwing anything weighted, just remember to open your loop.

It will be fine for most use. The one I cast was an 8'6"-9' 5wt. Tossed it out of a boat and the guy had it set up with a tripple beadhead / thingamabobber rig. Was a bit too much for the rod (IMO) but still functioned fine. Just had to really slow it down. Cut off that mess and we put a rusty spinner on......money.

I am looking forward to using it for 90% dries (12-18) but the occasional dry/dropper (maybe a size 12-14 stimi with an 16/18 beadhead prince/pt/copper john) or with just a size 12 bead head bugger style streamers for smaller trout in some closer quarters. If I do go back out west to Colorado, this is what I would be bringing for Rocky Mountain National Park and places like that.

Kray,

My casting stroke seems to favor slower rods. At the Fly Fishing Show, I loved casting the G2, then the Radian, and actually lastly the S4 from Scott. Another rod that really blew me away was the Beulah Platinum 884-4. I would get one of them in a heartbeat and they look sharp too. Surprisingly though, I casted a Sage Method and I was throwing bombs! I doubt there was 5 weight line on the 590 though. Probably 7 weight since the presenter was using the rod and then let a few people cast it.

As someone who has had both I'm not a huge fan of the g2. For one I wasn't too impressed with the action. The rod is lighter on the g2 but the g just has such a better action. And the 4 piece only option sucks. The scott rods are heading into a new era and they're loosing their edge. Besides the glass which isn't that nice IMO either.

And the rod should cast everything. I was casting skulpin helmets with a three weight no problem.

Phish,

Which models did you have? Thanks!

Bass check pm

Back