Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Santa is coming!

From Harrisburg
Thanks GW very imformative.

Posted on: 2009/11/6 10:55

From Downingtown
I have to agree with GreenWeenie. I can also say that I own a few of the Winston BII series (the x's and mx's as they are faster than the t's) and I can say that they are heavenly sticks. That said, it all boils down to how it feels to the wielder.

Posted on: 2009/11/6 11:18

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

atlantisboy911 wrote:
Ok guys I know there have been many rod discussions recently but mostly about allbright and other rods on sale, but I have around $400 to spend and am looking for an 8'6 4wt ,suggestions please!

Thanks in advance

Rod choice is a very personal thing, but if I could have only one rod for trout in PA, this would be my choice:

Sage XP

I have the 8'6" 4wt, and it is my absolute favorite rod. The link I posted above is for a brand new rod, with a lifetime warranty - from an authorized Sage dealer.

Here's mine:

Resized Image

Posted on: 2009/11/6 14:32

From Harrisburg
Thanks, nice pic!

Posted on: 2009/11/6 15:55

From Harrisburg
Heritage, is it really worth the extra money, its going for about $500 and according to the specs it is a bit heavier than some rods that don't cost quite as much.

Please tell me a about the rod, what makes it your favourite?

Posted on: 2009/11/6 16:05

Why is the weight of the rod so important? A rod that balances correctly with the reel can be cast all day. I say this because a light rod will require a light reel ($$$) to balance the outfit properly and if not balanced, you arm will fatigue.

All my rods are a bit on the heavy side (several Winston WT's, several old glass rods and a few boo rods) but paired with the appropriate reel I can cast them all day with no fatigue. I just think you’re severely limiting your options if you are looking to get the lightest rod out there and light doesn’t necessarily translate to feel or ability to cast all day unless pair with the right reel.

Posted on: 2009/11/6 16:26

From Suburban Pittsburgh
GreenWeenie makes a great point and to further illustrate what he's talking about, here's my personal experience.

This past spring, I wanted a new rod for small streams, I was between the Orvis Superfine and the Sage TXL. I cast them both and went with the TXL. I am a Sage guy, but figured that I needed to cast a couple of rods to try out the different actions. The TXL is EXTREMELY light and to balance out that rod I had to get a very light reel. I own an Orvis Mid Arbor and that was just too heavy for it.

My advice to you is to go to your local fly shop, with your budget in mind and cast some different rods. What I may like, you may not. As has been said, with a $400 budget, you have PLENTY of great options to choose from!

Good luck and let us know what you go with!

Posted on: 2009/11/6 17:22

the sage launch is cheap right now and will do everything u need it to , or maybe check out the used orvis zero gravitys ?

Posted on: 2009/11/6 18:37

hey i just saw a guy has a 4wt sage rod for sale under the swap forum , the only thing about sage is their rods each come with an individual serial number and the warranty only applys to the original owner , sage will fix the rod if u send it in but for a fee and alot more than if u were the original owner, so take that for whats its worth

Posted on: 2009/11/6 18:50

From Suburban Pittsburgh
The Sage Launch is a great rod for the price, it's their entry level rod but I think they're wonderful. I don't believe that they made an 8'6 4wt though.

As far as the XP, amongst Sage fans, this is a pretty coveted rod and most were disappointed when they discontinued it. Cabelas struck a deal with them apparently and Sage made a limited run of them. I've had my eye on one for a while now

Posted on: 2009/11/6 19:45

From Harrisburg
Thanks for all the unteresting info guys, really appreciate it. One rod that I have been researching today which looks nice is the St Croix Legend Elite at $420 , I know I read somewhere on this forum somone that had one ,it might have been Bruno?

Posted on: 2009/11/6 21:15

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

atlantisboy911 wrote:
Heritage, is it really worth the extra money, its going for about $500 and according to the specs it is a bit heavier than some rods that don't cost quite as much.

Please tell me a about the rod, what makes it your favourite?

As mentioned by g.w., absolute minimum weight has very little to do with the performance of the rod. Orvis might want you to think so, but it's just marketing. Balancing the rod with an appropriate weight reel is much more important. If you place the whole outfit on top of your finger at a 90 degree angle, it should balance somwhere on the front half of the grip. If it still tips forward with your finger at the very front of the grip, the reel is too light. Keep in mind that personal preference plays a large part in the "feel" and "balance" of a rod.

Not looking to bash Orvis, but their Helios uses a skeleton aluminum reelseat, with a carbon fiber insert. Yes, it's light, but it's also cheaper for them to use. Winston did a similar thing with the BIIx series, but at least they left the option of getting one of their nice reel seats and inserts if you so desire.

Appearance of the reel seat and insert is just window dressing in reality. The real measure of a rod is the performance of the blank - this is why I prefer the XP. Their butt sections are very stiff and powerful, but the tips are soft enough to load the rod in close. This makes a rod that can toss dries softly, yet has plenty of grunt in the lower sections to toss the big stuff. This combination makes the 486-4 XP the most accurate casting rod I've ever cast - it's like throwing darts. It's also very versatile. If I know I'll be throwing nothing but small dry flies, I'll take my Winston 8' 4wt TMF. If I know I'll be nymphing exclusively, I'll take my new Sage 99 4wt. If I don't know if I'll be chucking dries, nymphing, or throwing streamers, the 486-4 XP is my choice. It does it all.

This is just my personal opinion - lots of people will disagree. Choices are good. Find out what works for YOU, since your opinion is the only one that matters when it comes to your rod choice.

Posted on: 2009/11/6 22:21

From Enola, Pa.
Jules

I have a 8/4 3wt Orvis, the next time we fish your welcome to try it, just to see if you like one!

PaulG

Posted on: 2009/11/6 22:27

From Chester County
Sage XP Heritage Ed! U da man! My XP 9' 5wt is my favorite rod of all time! It casts 5' of flyline as well as 55' of flyline.

Atlantis, you really can't look through the catalogs and pick a rod based on it's weight. As Heritage said, those Orvis rods are built with very light components. You must cast a rod to get a feel for it. Look at this thread, I love the feel of Sage rods and so does Heritage Ed and Jaybo, while Greenweenie and Mr Chunk are Winston guys. We may kid each other about our rod choices like a Sage "broomstick" or a Winston "wet noodle" but the fact is it's an individual thing. After you try a bunch of rods, I'm sure one will have you name on it. Good luck on your search.

Posted on: 2009/11/7 7:23

From Dallastown, PA
Quote:

PaulG wrote:
Jules

I have a 8/4 3wt Orvis, the next time we fish your welcome to try it, just to see if you like one!

PaulG

Isn't that rod 8'6" Paul?

Posted on: 2009/11/7 9:06

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com