Saltwater Line

G

GoldenFly

I'm leaving for Mexico on Aug. 15th and I plan on fishing the flats around our resort while I'm there. From reports that I've read there are barracuda, permit, and bonefish in the area. Right now my 8 wt reel is spooled with a standard neon green fresh water line. From my understanding of these fish I should be rigged with a saltwater fly line, fluorocarbon leader and tippet, and shock tippet. I'm having difficulty finding a fly shop that carries saltwater line. I sent Bob, at Neshannock Fly Shop, an email asking if he carried saltwater line. He didn't have any in stock but told me that I shouldn't be concerned and that my freshwater line should suffice. Knowing the elusiveness of these fish and the water clarity, my concern is that my neon green line will spoke any fish I cast near. I've noticed that most saltwater line has a very subtle color to it and I'm assuming it's for this reason. Can anyone verify if my freshwater line will work effectively in these conditions?

Can't speak to the flats down south, but I've successfully used my regular lines on the flats in MA for stripers and blues.

sounds like a good trip...good luck.

The primary difference is going to be "cold water" versus "warm water," in that a line for warm water tends to be less supple in cold.

I wouldn't be too worried about it, unless your 8wt line is a steelhead, striper, or other line specifically designed for cold water use.

call international angler, they'll have what you need

difference is mono core vs a braided core...

But, it won't matter if the fish see the neon green line from the time you step off the plane

For just one trip I would not worry about it, but make sure you clean everything well after wards. the shock tippet is for barracudas mostly. on bones and permit a 9 foot leader down to 12-8 lb. should work.

http://www.albrightflyfish.com/fly-lines.html

Back