Salt Water Set Up

Bruno

Bruno

Hey all:

I am going to be spending a week this summer at the outter banks, Ocracoke, NC and want to try my hand at fly fishing. I am planning on bringing my Kayak and using that as my fishing platform.

My question is: What is a a basic rod/ reel/ line combo for saltwater? I have an 9 ft 8wt that I use for steelhead. The reel I am using is good for the salt. I have a wf floating line on it. Will this rig work? Should I by a saltwater line/ sinking line?? I am just not sure as what to bring. Money is a little tight right now and I'd hate to spend on something that I don't really need.

Thanks

Bruno,
The 8Wt is perfect. Most of the species you're likely to encounter (specs, spanish macs, small redfish, schoolie stripers, pompano, etc) don't require a lot of rod or backing. The floating line is fine as you will probably spend most of your time on the bayside. It's also fine for mild surf although an intermediate is a bit better in the surf most of the time. There are bigger critters around there in the summer, including cobia, jacks and even tarpon - although few people fly fish for the tarpon in NC. I wouldn't throw a fly with an 8WT at them. I spent a lot of time kayaking around Pamlico Sound when I lived in VA and usually used an 8WT for most of my bay fishing... of course give your gear a good cleaning when you're done. Good luck!

I would highly suggest the intermediate line. you may get some surface action but my experience hte last few years is that most of what I catch are at least 6 to 12 feet down. Tie lots of clousers and decievers in various colors and by all means...check out this board. Its the best for such endeavors.

http://oregoninlet.us/flyfishing/default.asp

Your good to go with the 9’ 8wt. Oceanside I fish a 10’ 9 wt and on the sound side I fish a 9’ 7wt. We always stay in Avon and that is where I’ll fish the sound plus just north of the Canadian hole. Oceanside I mainly fish all the way down to Hatters Inlet but if I hear a good fishing report I check it out. I’ll drive the beach looking for drop offs (making a few casts) and bird. Only two other things you will need IMO is a sinking fly line (I fish a full sinking Teeny Saltwater TS650) and a stripping basket (I use an Orvis hard basket) I do not like the folding type stripper baskets. Flies Clousers and Deceivers. If you walk the beach in the morning and/or night for the sunrise/sunset take the fly rod and a hand full of flies.

Joe E.

Bruno,

check out feather-craft for sinking leader butt sections that are used with a floating line. They have them in different sink rates and for different line weights. While fishing stripers/blues last fall I was using primarily an intermediate line, but for getting patterns down further in the water column I used a floating line with different rate sinking butt sections depending on how deep I needed to be and it worked great. These sinking butts are used on floating lines as using them on smaller diameter intermediate lines makes casting a real chore. Ideally, I would buy a set of heads with running line from RIO or SA(which I may do), but they are expensive. This is a cost effective alternative. If you aren't sure what to get call Feather-Craft and ask for Ed. He has helped me with several similar situations and has always been right.

One tip I can offer is that the fish you are going to catch are not leader shy. I fish a 5’ straight tippet or less with 17-20 pound. If the leader/tippet is too long you get a belly in the line and your fly is above your fly line and your depth is not as deep as you think. I was not getting strikes and I guy helped me out with that tip and it has paid off. Also, change speed and death more than the color of the fly and if you have not practiced your two-handed stripping with the rod tucked under your arm you will have all the practice you need in a week at the ocean.

Joe E.

The problem with floating line isn't so much getting the flies down (although it takes a lot less time with a sinking line) Its that if you fish the surf, the waves push, pull, tangle and tug at your line constanly. If you don't use a stripping basket, a floating line is almost impossible in the surf. An intermediate line will drop just deep enough that the waves will have less affect on held or cast line. I used a lead head between my floating line and leader the first year and it was useless in the surf but worked ok in the sound. In the canals it was as bad as the surf as the current was faster than most rivers i've ever fished. Not as easy to mend when your line is 12 feet down. If you have that kayak and you are beyond the surf, you may be ok.

Many fishing store sell coated lead line. I bought some once and tied loops in the ends and then tied thread over the knots to taper the connections. I made a couple 6 and 12 inch lead heads and they were great. Cost very little. A lot less than an intermediate line.

Of course for $8.50 you can pick up a sinking line at:

http://www.fortackle.com/

They are seconds, but I've bought a few and they seem fine. Especially if you aren;t going to use them that often and therefore can't justify spending 60 bucks for a new Rio line.

Tom,

good point about the sinking butt in the surf, I should have said I was fishing from a boat, so the surf was not an issue.

I would recommend a good intermediate line for the sound and shallow surf and a sinking line for the deep pockets or where the current is pushing real hard. Also, as mentioned before a short leader is the way to go, 3-4 ft of 15-20 pound is all you need.

Set up sounds great for what you’re doing. I would def think about another fly line so as not to mess up your freshwater steelhead line. 8wt rod will work great for most anything you'll fish for in a sound. I fish all wf floating line here in SW Florida along with my other guide buddies. Occasionally when the tarpon are still in deep water an intermediate line works good but other then that we don’t use them. Depending on the month you'll be there you most likely see tarpon anyway although I’m not sure how and when they run in and out of NC. If moneys tight get some new line and have at it. Like I said the 8 wt is perfect just change the line to something thats affordable (saltwater and fresh water fly line dont mix). I use a 7wt for most of my fishing and it’s a blast. Hope that helped. Good Luck!

Back