Sage Z-Axis

greenlander

greenlander

I'm in the market for a 9' 5wt rod and I think I've decided I want it to be the Z-Axis.

I'm kicking myself for not grabbing one of those blanks that was on Sierra Trading Post back around the holidays.

Has anyone seen these hanging around anywhere?

I'd eBay one, but I'm not stoked about buying a rod on eBay because of fakes.

4 pc too, gotta be the 4 pc.

Angler's Pro Shop in Souderton is one of the largest dealers in discontinued Sage rods in the country.

The owner, Bill Hayes, is a really nice guy, and an authorized Sage dealer - meaning your rod is covered by Sage's warranty.

I've recommended lots of folks to his shop that were looking for older Sage rods, and have bought a few myself.

Can you find your Z cheaper? Maybe, but this shop has a long history of selling discontinued Sage rods. They have the 590-4 Z-Axis in stock (just checked). IMO - it's one of the best rods ever made.

http://www.anglers-pro.com/cgi-bin/cat/09060.html

Love that they have it. But, sigh, that's a *really* high price for a discontinued rod.

Thanks for the info, though. Will definitely
Keep it in mind.

... and he sold the last one mid-week anyway. :(

http://rodblank.net/sage-z-axis-590-4-9-5wt-4-piece-fly-rod-new

Hmm.. I did see that same listing on eBay, but couldn't associate it with a web site. That looks a bit more reputable than a random dealer.

Still, I'm not sure I'm willing to pay a premium for this rod just because it is discontinued. I had hoped to get it at a discount because of that fact.

For $500 for a blank ... by the time you're done buying components and building the rod ... you could just go out and buy a BIIIx or the like.

I want the Z-Axis, but I'm not sure I want it that bad. :)

In any event, thanks for poking around Frederick.

Hopefully I get lucky and STP gets another bunch of blanks in at some point down the road.

That auction is for a factory built Z-Axis. It's a complete rod.

It's slippin' away..... ;-)

Well these guys don't have a 9' 5wt but they've got 8'6" 5wts and 9' 4wts. Not sure if that excludes them but at 400 bucks it's not a bad deal.

MRFC.com

StudentofTheStream wrote:
Well these guys don't have a 9' 5wt but they've got 8'6" 5wts and 9' 4wts. Not sure if that excludes them but at 400 bucks it's not a bad deal.

MRFC.com

I'd jump at the 4wt if it were a 4-piece.

One of the things driving me to get a new rod is a backpacking trip to Yellowstone this summer, and I don't want to lug a 2 piece through the backcountry if avoidable.

As for the 8'6", I already have a 5wt in that size always wish it was longer.

Back