Sage XP's?

Blackfly

Blackfly

I saw that Sage is coming back with a limited amount of their XP rods. Anyone have an XP? What are your thoughts about them?

My favorite trout rod of all time!! Can't go wrong with a 490 or 590. It casts equally as well aerailizing 9' or 49' feet of fly line. Cast one and see for yourself.

Everyone's tastes are different, but personally, I'm with Afish on this one. I've got several XP's, and just love 'em. For me, the XP is the best series ever (and yes, I prefer it to the Z-Axis). :-D

The XPs are great casting rods. The 490 and 590 seem to have a strong following, but were a little too fast for my taste. You know, different strokes.... To me, the 590 doesn't start to come alive until at least 40' of line is out. I really like the new, more moderate 590 ZXL, and would encourage you to cast one if you are looking for a 5 line trout rod.

The one XP that I love and own is the shortest one, the 476. It's fast, but has a very fine tip that allows for tippet protection down to 7x, but generates enough line speed to throw bigger bugs. Too bad it's not one of the models being revived.

allegheny wrote:
Too bad it's not one of the models being revived.

Do you know which sizes they are bringing back? If so, where can I find them or if you can list them?

I've got a 7wt 9' that I love for smallies and saltwater and love it. It is a little stiffer than I'd like for steelhead, but if I have to suffer through with an XP as my backup rod, so be it ;-)

The XP's are great casting rods, but for me I would rather get something else. If going high end, I would check out a used Z Axis or Loomis Streamdance. I like these rods better both in feel and looks. A surprising rod at a bargain price is the Cabelas LST. I have a 10 weight and have casted a few others. It feels just like an XP, and even looks like one. Its fast as heck and really light!

Paul W

Thanks for the input guys, appreciate the advice.

Back