Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: SURVEY: Snake Atacks?

From Lewistown
I'm way more worried about spiders than snakes. I was just fishing with a friend and mentioned to him that I never (or rarely) touch anything with my hands when fishing brookie stream; i.e. rock walls or ledges, or old dead trees. Many spiders lay silk strand around their burrow and anything that touches them sparks interest. Some spiders are aggressive and some are not, it all depends on the individual.

I've fished a lot of "back country" and have never seen a snake near a stream. Only when I venture away have I seen them. I'm under the belief that they see or fell you first and get out of the way.

Posted on: 2009/7/9 9:58

I saw a rattler on slate in Pa. and the upper rapidan in Va.
Out west they love the rip rap along rivers as that's where the mice are in hot weather.

Posted on: 2009/7/9 10:26

Tom,

Good link! It pretty much corroborates what I've been saying. Respect, not fear (fear makes people do stupid things). Knowledge over ignorance.

MKern,

I don't thing there are any serious threats from spiders in PA. Having said that, I'm a little weired out by them, too. I lived in central South Carolina for 8 years and saw MANY black widows and brown recluses....nasty!

The reason I started this thread was in response to the thread on the snake chaps/gators. I think they are overkill and probably give the user a false sense of security. It's possible to be bitten on the hand or on another body part if there is a shelf or rise near your path (see Tom's link).

Posted on: 2009/7/9 10:29

snake chaps-no
string ray boots-you betcha
wait until you retire to Florida and do wade fishing-when the rays spawn the reds follow-on some flats you would not believe the number-of both-lol
killed a coral right out side our house in mulch,saw a diamond back swimming up in the barrens-

Posted on: 2009/7/9 10:36

From Pine Grove
Quote:

pete41 wrote:
snake chaps-no
string ray boots-you betcha
wait until you retire to Florida and do wade fishing-when the rays spawn the reds follow-on some flats you would not believe the number-of both-lol
killed a coral right out side our house in mulch,saw a diamond back swimming up in the barrens-

Pete, I was snorkeling off the beach in Captiva a few years back and you wouldn't believe how many rays I saw. The beach was crowded as heck and they were just weaving in and out of groups of people. I saw two the first time I ducked my head under water, and almost grabbed one while harvesting sand dollars for my nephews. I've never walked in saltwater without doing the shuffle since then. As far as snake attacks go, I know a few people who were bitten and let's just say the stats posted earlier are right on the money. One of the guys caught a copperhead that he wanted to keep for a pet. He ended up meeting a friend on the way home and going bar hopping with the snake in a bag in the back of his buddies pickup. Every bar they would stop at he would go outside and get it out to show people. Let's just say he went to one too many bars that day.

Boyer

Posted on: 2009/7/10 8:21

From Altoona, PA
Quote:

pete41 wrote:
JayL-word to the wise
Prairie rattlers are not endangered and people do die from their bite[Lewis and Clark exp.]

I read about the Lewis & Clark expedition and don't recall anything about that. The only member of the corp of discovery to die had appendicitis.

The danger in PA is vastly overstated for what it really is. Should people be careful? Absolutely! But as the statistics posted above show, the number of incidents is minimal. Chewing pen caps sounds far more dangerous than rattlesnakes.

Posted on: 2009/7/10 8:36

well it was on the telly-said shortly after leaving St.Louis but if not the case-sorry.

Posted on: 2009/7/10 8:55

From Lewistown
Fly Swatter,

I don't think people would die from spider bites, but I do think that there are more of them and they are more aggressive, especially along streams.
I do think bitten by one 3 miles away from the car could be quite discomforting.

Posted on: 2009/7/10 9:43

From South Central PA
The pay for play businessmen must be getting desperate. Having lost court battles on the Lehigh and Little J, and with dedicated opposition near Benton, their shady tactics for denying accesss are not working. Hence, they have charmed some rattlers to do their dirty work for them. These snakes like to stick together, apparently.

Rattler, Northern Maryland Trout Stream

This rattler warned me against trespass on a northern MD stream on July 4. However, I am much more gruesome looking than anything else he is likely to have seen, and so he high tailed it back up the streambank. (note: water temperature was 59F).

He wasn't going to keep me away from a spot like this:
Northern Maryland Trout Stream

Posted on: 2009/7/10 11:57

From Pittsburgh
FlySwattter,
i think also peoples "unreasonabe fears" as you put it are fed by the media. On nat geo they have cases of the most extreme of the extreme cases and they make it seem like it could happen to anyone, in short they freak people out into thinking the world is alot more dangerous then it is...

Posted on: 2009/7/10 12:37

From new cumberland
That's right Paul........My dad got bit by a rattler while bass fishing. Mostly cause he stepped on it while trying to get to that next spot......LOL. It just caught his boot and jeans. Not even a scratch. Hit him a little then ran scared and probably slightly squished.....LOL. I actually pissed on a copperhead once not knowing it was there. I was bass fishing in april and walked up this hill away from the lake to take a leak. there were lots of rocks so i was looking at all the sunny spots. stood on two rocks and started my business and was very unpleasantly surprised when a big honking black and brown snake started hauling butt into a hole under the rock i was standing on. I alsume it was a copperhead but i didn't get a good look. talk about being close to cardiac arrest though. Gives me the hebbie jebbies remembering that. Walked up on a rattler sunning on a trail when I was a kid. He rattled and I gave him as much room as I could while staring at the ground everywhere...LOL. That was up at Cook Forest a long long time ago though. Every one I've run across was as afraid of me as I was of him!

Posted on: 2009/7/12 6:58

Found the bees that bit my dog and made her face swell up. One bit me on the toe this morning and it still aches. Ground hornets!!!

Saw some interesting facts. More people die of bee stings then from snake bites. Sorry snakes still make every muscle in my body seize.

http://www.whmentors.org/saf/snakes.html

Posted on: 2009/7/12 13:28

Driving to and from the stream is much more dangerous than anything you encounter while fishing.

Posted on: 2009/7/14 10:31

From Bangor, PA
Quote:
Rattler, Northern Maryland Trout Stream

This rattler warned me against trespass on a northern MD stream on July 4. However, I am much more gruesome looking than anything else he is likely to have seen, and so he high tailed it back up the streambank. (note: water temperature was 59F).

Your snake appears to be a Northern Copperhead, at least from the clothes he's wearing. Unless you saw/heard his rattle. In that case, I defer to you.

Posted on: 2009/7/14 13:28

From South Central PA
No shake, no roll, but plenty of rattle. Glad he was a rattler--I would never have noticed him without that noisemaker on the tail. Actually comforting that the rattle could be heard above the stream noise.

Also, better a rattler than a Northern Brown Water Snake, at least if you are a trout.

http://www.backwaterangler.com/2007/0 ... powder-river-brown-trout/

Posted on: 2009/7/14 17:41

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com