Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: SURVEY: Snake Atacks?

From Bozeman
This has been raised here before, but I am just curious...

Some have suggested it, but does anyone actually carry a gun for defense against snakes? If so, I am sorry, but I find that to be absolutely absurd.

Posted on: 2009/7/8 16:32

David,

Was the fang in the rock she sat on (no snake attached)? That's just bad luck, dude.

afish,

Right on. The stats provide sober perspective. I think it would be helpful to differentiate snake bit fatalities by species. There are far more dangerous venomous snakes in the US than copperheads and timber rattlers. Don't get me wrong, I do NOT want to get bitten by either, but I think it extremely unlikely a healthy adult will die from a bite from either species.

Posted on: 2009/7/8 16:36

doubt he would die from VD either but most would prefer to avoid the the experience.

Posted on: 2009/7/8 16:47

From Monessen, PA
I agree with Jay about packing heat for snake protection. More effective is to carry a small Gideon Bible in your vest, bookmarked to Mark, Chapter 16, verse 17. If you are bitten by a poisonous viper while deep in the woods, pull it out, say a prayer, then kiss your arse goodbye.

Posted on: 2009/7/8 16:49

-- Leo Tolstoy

A side arm for snakes: sounds like someone has been watching too many old westerns.

Jack, I hope you're kidding about being fatally bitten. No doubt a snake bite from a timber rattler or copperhead would be most painful, but not fatal unless there is some underlying condition it exacerbates.

Posted on: 2009/7/8 17:28

From Pittsburgh
Quote:

FlySwatter wrote:
David,

Was the fang in the rock she sat on (no snake attached)? That's just bad luck, dude.

There was no snake attached..just a tooth that got washed up during high water.

Posted on: 2009/7/8 18:08

JayL-word to the wise
Prairie rattlers are not endangered and people do die from their bite[Lewis and Clark exp.]
very,very common-so stay in the boat,don't leave cabin after dark and be sure and beat your bed with a stick before entering.Or was that Tennessee?12 gauge shotgun no.2 shot should be enough.They will let you carry on if you tell them it's your snake gun.
plenty of them out there-

Posted on: 2009/7/8 18:15

From Gettysburg
JayL,
I agree - anyone packing heat for "snakes" is nuts. I have seen this (not in PA) - guys shooting at anything that slithers. I suppose this was common 50 years ago but folks ought to be more enlightened today (plus it isn't legal anymore).

Pete,
Where did you hear about a Prairie Rattlesnake caused death in the Lewis and Clark expedition? To my knowledge, only one member of the expedition died and that was from a probable appendicitis.

Posted on: 2009/7/8 23:53

There was a story about the exp.-it said one man died from a rattlesnake bite-I assumed it was true but L J was there so I will check with him.lol
I really don't know but having lived in Montana where the rattlers are very numerous i sorta grin at the blase attitude.
I knew guys who worked on ranches who hated haying because rattlers were always being thrown up by the bailers.
I knew they were an almost sure bet in the rip rap along rivers out there.
Saw many-
Funny thing is some areas had none-others loaded-all depended on the nature of the rocks.
Gallatin canyon no fear,Madison river north of Quake lake,they were very numerous.
None around Bozeman-thirty miles west in horseshoe hills crawling with them.Be the first down a dirt road on warm mornings you could see many out there trying to get residual heat.
We were always killing them at the gun range.With sticks-shooting down range was a no-no.

Posted on: 2009/7/9 7:50

Pete41,

Montana is different from PA in many ways. Apparently one of them is rattlesnake population density. That's why I was trying to differentiate snake bite worry by species. Am I correct in assuming Montana has western diamondback rattlers?

I don't mean to have a cavalier attitude about timber rattlers & copperheads. I have a good deal of respect for them but I don't fear them. My attitude towards rattlers (and bears for that matter) might be a little different if I lived and fished in Montana. I think I might carry a gun if I was in grizzly country, but that might just be my ignorance since I have no experience with them.

Mike

Posted on: 2009/7/9 8:14

From Gettysburg
Swatter,
Pete is correct about the rattlesnakes in MT being Prairie rattlers. The Western Diamondback is found in the southwest (TX, NM etc). I agree that, compared to diamondbacks and even Prairie rattlers, our Timber Rattlesnakes and copperheads have a mild disposition and their bites are much less serious. I suppose I can understand packing heat in some areas of the West although I still think it's ridiculous here in PA.
As for the Lewis and Clark travels, they were certainly in Prairie rattlesnake country. One of the members of the expedition was bitten by a venomous snake (almost certainly a Praire Rattlesnake) and I think Sacajewea treated him with a folk remedy and he survived. I think this was what Pete remembered.

Posted on: 2009/7/9 8:36

I am glad to here he survived-those dudes were tough.
Rumor has it L J griped all the way-whining about thud and Fudd and a lot of other people no one ever heard of.Kept saying things were much better when he ran the commissary on the Mayflower.

Posted on: 2009/7/9 8:46

Carrying a gun for snakes is silly as damned few are good enough shot to hit one with a handgun[unless .22 birdshot] and long gun is bulky for trout fishing-lol
Won't go into detail but rocks and sticks are where the buzzers are.
They come out of a den a lot earlier then people would believe on really warm spring days.

Posted on: 2009/7/9 8:51

From Enola, Pa.
Will( a poster here) told me his Father was bitten by a Rattler while fishing. If I remember the story, it was a dry bite!

PaulG

Posted on: 2009/7/9 9:27

From Greensburg, PA
Here is some basic rattlesnake advice. Prairie Rattlers are also known as western rattlers or Hopi rattlers. Like most things it depends on where you live, what they call them.

http://www.idahogeocachers.org/rattlesnakes.htm

Posted on: 2009/7/9 9:31

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com