SUGGESTIONS a reel for a 2wt

BoCephus

BoCephus

I just got a 7'6" 2wt rod and I need suggestions on a reel to pair with it. Any ideas? There is a similar thread on this website but its a few years old, so some of the reels are not in production anymore.

THANKS

TFO BVK 0, Orvis CFO 1, Orvis Battenkill 1, Orvis Access 1, Orvis Hydros 1, Orvis Mirage 1. Really comes down to how much you want to spend. Check Ebay too!

FYI the rod weighs 2 oz's

Not looking to spend more than 200, would like to spend less than 100

Orvis Battenkill 1 $98. Okuma SLV 2/3 $60.

This is what I have on my 1 11/16th oz 3wt rod. I have the 2/3.

http://galvanflyreels.com/brookie_reels.html

Bo,

If you don't have line yet, I have SA XPS DT2F only used twice you can have. But its pretty much for a moderate action rod.

If you like traditional, a Hardy Flyweight can be had in you price range.

When I bought my 7'9" 2 weight - over 20 years ago now - I mated it with an Orvis CFO I. And it worked OK for years - although that reel was a little small and light IMO. ( I prefer to fish a 3 weight line on this rod)

Several years ago, I had the opportunity to buy an orvis battenkill bar stock II used off of another forum member. And I've been using it ever since, and like it better. Just a little bit larger than the CFO. Holds more line and even has room for a little backing. And balances the rod better

The Battenkill Bar Stock reels were a great value. They still come around occasionally for a good price.

I'll throw the Abel TR series into the mix. I have a TR 1 with a 3wt line wrapped on it but the TR Light might be right up your alley.

I have a Redington Drift 2/3 paired with my St. Croix 2 wt. although it is click/paw drag I like it still . AT 99.95

Steve98

you can also look on eBay at classic Hardy Flyweight's for the refined gentleman look if you prefer.

Any cheap McAsian fly reel will work. Lots of people import them, the mills sell them directly on ebay, or you can start your own company with the help of Alibaba.com. Look long enough, and you'll find Cabela's, Bass Pro, and other house brand reels all for sale there.

Specifically, the Cortland Retro, LL Bean Pocketwater (rebadged Cortland), Redington Drift or Orvis Battenkill are all new manufacture clickers with "real" names on them, and will run from around to under $100.

You can go back to ebay and find any number of cheap offset disc drag reels or clickers from the '90s through '70s easy. Daiwa, Eagle Claw, Heddon, etc. The world's your mollusc for this sort of thing. They'll run you from $5 to as much as you feel like paying for "vintage-ness" and how desperate you are to show off a brand name.

Back